Saying No

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saying No

I had a former client contact me today regarding childcare for the summer. I do not want to take on this dck. It was such a relief when he was finally school aged! I love the parents but the dck is a nightmare and not worth the extra money. We left on good terms and want to keep it that way.
    How do I tell her no?
    Since she is very good friends with a current client, I can't tell a white lie and say I am full.

Any suggestions are welcome! TYIA!

We actually have a lot of previous threads on Saying No: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.php?tag=saying+no

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
      We actually have a lot of previous threads on Saying No: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.php?tag=saying+no
      I looked through many of these posts. Most say to tell the family "it's not a good fit". Since I worked with this family before And we left on good terms, I can't really say that. Saying "I'm full" would backfire since she is close friends with a current client.

I'm between a rock and a hard place. Anyone have any advice?

Comment

Maybe say you just want to keep a smaller group this year. Reasons why (if you feel the need to further explain) might be because you want to have more flexibility, maybe be able to do more things with your family, be able to go to appts easily, etc. But really, you shouldn't have to explain why.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
          I looked through many of these posts. Most say to tell the family "it's not a good fit". Since I worked with this family before And we left on good terms, I can't really say that. Saying "I'm full" would backfire since she is close friends with a current client.

I'm between a rock and a hard place. Anyone have any advice?
          Are you full?

Is this a school aged child that she wants care for?
          Do you normally take school aged kids?
          Do you have other school aged kids?

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post
            Are you full?

Is this a school aged child that she wants care for?
            Do you normally take school aged kids?
            Do you have other school aged kids?

I am not full.
            He is school aged and I occasionally take them based on many different factors.
            I will have 1 other sa child over the summer (plus my own 2 school aged children) - who play with and are part of daycare group.

Comment

I was going to say same as blackcat. If this child is school aged do you have other school agers in your care? Perhaps you could say you aren't taking any school agers for the summer.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemydaycare0912 View Post
                I was going to say same as blackcat. If this child is school aged do you have other school agers in your care? Perhaps you could say you aren't taking any school agers for the summer.
                I would normally say that but the SA I am taking is the daughter of her good friend. I am caring for the SA younger sibling or I would have said no to her too

Comment

I would just say I am not taking on anymore kids at this time, but if anything changes, you will let her know. She doesn't need any morevent info than that

Comment

Originally posted by mommyneedsadayoff View Post
                    I would just say I am not taking on anymore kids at this time, but if anything changes, you will let her know. She doesn't need any morevent info than that
                    This is what I would do as well. "Full" doesn't have to mean that you are at your legal capacity. You get to decide if you are full enough.

Comment

I am not taking on anymore children at this time.

Comment

I'd tell her that you're not taking on any NEW school agers or any MORE school agers. Tell her you're phasing out school aged care.

Comment

...or say currently enrolled families get first priority for summer care and they have not confirmed anything yet so you can't give her an answer until closer to summer.
                          Maybe by that time she'll have moved on.

Comment

So sorry mom. I've already filled my SA spots for summer, if something changes I can let you know.

Comment

I only take school agers if they are an older sibling of a currently enrolled, full time, daycare child. You could start that policy.

Comment

Working...
                              X