Parent Who Is Consistently Early and Late

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Meeko View Post
    I guess the thing is, where do you draw the line? I can't say I close at 6, but it's OK for them to pick up at 6:02. That actually means I am open until 6:02 as far as they are concerned.

Then the next day they think 6:03 is no big deal...I mean what's one minute? And so on and so on. They WILL get more brazen.

Before long you get picks up 10 minutes late and a client who then has a hissy fit if you eventually say something. And what can a provider say when the parent says "But it hasn't been a problem until now????"

I start out as I want to go on. In charge of my own time.
    You draw the line when it bothers you. It would bother me if a person was consistently 10 minutes late but not if they were 1 to 3 minutes late. At the 10 minute point I would talk to them. I haven't had a problem once I explained it to a parent because if they continued on then I'd either do a late fee and if it was chronic, just term. But then again, I've found that it works both ways. I used to walk in the morning before opening. A few times (not many) I got back and someone was parked in my driveway. I was a minute or two late opening and didn't get my pay docked! On the rare occasion that I needed a break then the parents were nice back. I remember a day when I really wanted to take the day off as some family thing came up. I would have worked for just the one child but I told the dad and he said it would be a little inconvenient but for me he'd "make it happen." He was so sweet.

Comment

Thanks for your input everyone

I can see both sides of this - hence my post.

Right now it bothers me. Because this particular parent and I have had this discussion before. After reading your responses and really looking deep into my situation, I think the bigger problem is the lack of respect I feel this parent has for me. Because with another parent and in another situation, 1 or 2 minuets wouldn't (and hasn't) bothered me.

Comment

Originally posted by Baby Beluga View Post
        Thanks for your input everyone

I can see both sides of this - hence my post.

Right now it bothers me. Because this particular parent and I have had this discussion before. After reading your responses and really looking deep into my situation, I think the bigger problem is the lack of respect I feel this parent has for me. Because with another parent and in another situation, 1 or 2 minuets wouldn't (and hasn't) bothered me.
        I have a parent that I do not give any room for error with because they "abuse" my policies if I let them! If they are one minute late, I text and ask "who is picking up today?" But if someone else was a minute late, I might let it go because it doesn't happen often! So I do understand why this family gets on your nerves! :hug:

Comment

It's pretty normal come closing time to be crawling out of your skin and wanting to be done your work day. Any job is like that. For most people-

Some clients take advantage and some don't. For the ones that take advantage you need solid rules in place and you need to follow them. Free pass once and then its done. I tell them that too- Free pass this time next time I charge for being late.

I also allow at my discretion for incidents that happen that can't be helped- but not to someone that takes advantage and you know real fast who those clients are.

Parents don't stop and think that we don't finish work until their child leaves. They don't think that our work day begins before and after theirs does. They just think we enjoy it and are already home. They just don't think about it. Why would they? Even when you tell them and you go over how important to you this is at your interview. From time to time reminders are a good thing to do. Please make sure drop off and pick ups are on time.

One other thing....safety first always. I tell my parents--- don't ever rush coming to get your child to the point that you are in an accident. Just pay the late fee and arrive safe- if paying the lay fee is an issue discuss this with me. Snow storm, I don't want a parent rushing to make it to me in time and end up not making it at all. I can get over the fact that they were late but I would never get over the fact if they didn't make it to my house at all because they were speeding and got in an accident. I discuss all of this at interviews. Again you will know the difference between a chronic late parent and the parent that truly rushes from work to pick up child.

3cents-

Comment

Working...
          X