Not Enjoying Running Daycare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WAHMderful_Life View Post
    Thank you so much for all the advice everyone, its awesome and very helpful. Feeling a little better this now as all our snow is basically gone

I think its a mix of feeling loneliness without adult interactions as some else said and boredom. Also as someone else said depends on the kids you have. 2 are awesome but the other 2 younger ones give me a hard time and I really don't enjoy them (sounds so bad, and makes me feel awful that I just can't wait for them to go home).They are just difficult. One is spoiled and the other I'm not sure if he is just slower in speech or if theres and issue but mom won't talk about it as other kids in the family were slow too, but he also seems a bit OCD and just gets upset easy and god can he scream.

Keep the advice and ideas coming Its a huge help, and sounds like it may be of help to others also feeling in a rut.

On another note super excited to go see our peanut for the first time on ultrasound today. happyface
    Yay on seeing the baby. That's so exciting!

And I think it helps to identity WHY you are not enjoying it. I'll give you my story. I did this 8 years ago and hated it. I worked long hours, took all ages, and let parents walk all over me. I was miserable.

Now, I work 7-5:30. I have a 34 page handbook and 4 page financial contract that I strictly enforce. I only accept children ages 2-6 and I run a preschool program in the morning and afternoon. I take all holidays and have a sub on call for when I need a day off. All this is what I wanted my business to be.

For socialization, I joined our county childcare association and became a board member. I joined our city group of providers and participate in all their events. And I attend lots of trainings so I can meet people who are doing what I do. Opportunities are out there, you just need to see what's available in your community.

I still have frustrating days sometimes but I would have that at any job. Overall I love being my own boss and making my own rules.

Comment

Originally posted by Ariana View Post
      Childcare isn't for everyone!! Some people find it harder than others and that is perfectly ok. I wouldn't be able to work in a cubicle all day either

My own thoughts of helplessness is what lead me to major burnout a while ago. Becoming aware of what your thoughts are and trying to be mindful of them is key I think. Change the things you can change. Come up with a few ways to beat the boredom. I find boredom is the worst for me too so I started making a weekly schedule of things to do. At the same time I had to let go of my expectations of how things "should" be. I "should" be doing XYZ was causing me a lot of problems. When I started having less expectations tings got a lot better. Find some sort of meaning in your day and gratitude for the things that are going right will set the tone for a good day.
      I'm glad to hear you say this!! I have felt like the OP but thought it was the winter blues getting to me. OP Ariana is right, sometimes the burden of other's expectations(licensing, parents, even other daycare providers) can be overwhelming. I've realized some 'by the book' stuff is a bunch of hocus pocus and isn't realistic with what caring for children really is like, especially depending on their ages. I have learned to let go and say yeah we had animal crackers for snack and a popsicle for a treat today, so what the kids had fun and it put a smile on their face. I think also, which is something I'm still working on, is finding that balance. When you're running daycare out of your home, I've realized it can feel suffocating sometimes, I don't have a seperate daycare space but make sure my own bedroom is completely off limits to daycare, so you are always thinking of what needs to be done, etc. On weekends, I leave and stay gone, have fun with my son and visit family. I also plan daycare errands so I don't feel it encroaches on my personal time. I hope you either come to terms and start feeling better about it or you find something else that you love to do! Best of luck to you! :hug:

Comment

Working...
      X