Aging a Child Out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aging a Child Out?

From now until the start of fall semester, I am enrolling only infants, including my own newborn due in September. I did not plan for this to happen this way, it is just how my enrollment worked out. In all of this, I have one toddler, going on three. The parents have the option of enrolling her in preschool, and I think that they should do it. I feel like she may become bored and lonely, being here with myself and 4 under 18 months. Her mom has said something along the lines of wanting her to have kids her own age to okay with, but does not think her daughter needs the structure of preschool.

If I age this child out, then I will have 4 all within months if one another, and essentiality they will all grow together at the same rate. I am not sure how tonage a child out, when I accept up to 4 years, or if I even can. I just don't want to have a lonely child with no peers her own age. I feel that it will be harder on her to adapt to preschool if she waits another year. What would you do?

Originally posted by Miss A View Post
    From now until the start of fall semester, I am enrolling only infants, including my own newborn due in September. I did not plan for this to happen this way, it is just how my enrollment worked out. In all of this, I have one toddler, going on three. The parents have the option of enrolling her in preschool, and I think that they should do it. I feel like she may become bored and lonely, being here with myself and 4 under 18 months. Her mom has said something along the lines of wanting her to have kids her own age to okay with, but does not think her daughter needs the structure of preschool.

If I age this child out, then I will have 4 all within months if one another, and essentiality they will all grow together at the same rate. I am not sure how tonage a child out, when I accept up to 4 years, or if I even can. I just don't want to have a lonely child with no peers her own age. I feel that it will be harder on her to adapt to preschool if she waits another year. What would you do?
    Absolutely you can let someone go in your program before they age out.

I am in a similar situation. I will have 3 under 2 and one 4.5 yo by next month. I have tried to find older enrollments and not had any luck. I do think the mixed age groups can work and have benefits for all children, but not for this guy. The 4.5 yo is being 'termed' as soon as I can fill his spot or by the end of the summer, whichever comes first. I am suggesting to his mom that he needs to be around others his own age. He won't have aged out, he misses the school cut off and has another year at home, but I am done.

Comment

I agree, some children do well with blended ages, but I feel this is too big if an age gap, and this child is already exhibiting signs of boredom. I try so hard to provide structured activities and teachable moments, but I am afraid that when I am caring for more infants, I will struggle with being able to balance their on-demand needs and the structure this toddler needs. I am not to high and mighty to admit that I have shortcomings, and that I may not be able to do it all. It is made even harder by the fact that DCM and I have a friendly relationship, though after this child leaves I am thinking that the friendship will fizzle out and we will become acquaintances, which I am fine with. I am just hoping DCM sees the need for preschool on her own!

Comment

Working...
      X