Dave... And Any Other Male Providers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post

Nice article. Pretty much how my college classes went. I was a bit different because I went back to school for ECE hours after my degree, so going through school I had a few years experience as an aide, teacher, and support staff under my belt.

One thing I found amusing is right beside that article is one on how women have become more common in agriculture. When I graduated (early 90s) there were 3 girls in my FFA group. 40% of the FFA students graduating this year at the local school are female. This didn't happen by accident. Rural and some urban/ suburban high schools pushed FFA programs. Colleges encouraged women to pursue ag and agribusiness majors. Companies highlighted women's internships and hiring programs. I can't remember ever hearing a bad thing about it. I can't help but wonder the reaction if schools and ECE businesses did a similar concentrated long term push for more men in Early Childhood. Be an interesting theoretical exercise.

Originally posted by mommyneedsadayoff View Post
    I don't know why some people do not want male providers, but I imagine it has to do with their own past or with their beliefs or who knows? I have seen parents exclude providers based on all sorts of factors, so I just say to each their own and they don't know what they are missing out on if they judge the provider simply based on what they look like.
    Sadly this will probably stay an "acceptable" bias for the foreseeable future. Understandable (maybe) from a parent's perspective, but sad regardless. From other ECE professionals, not so comprehensible.

Comment

I'm looking forward to the day I start my business. I've done lots of story reading, dealing with booboos, changed many a diaper (cloth and disposable), and had fun playing with dolls too, but so far it's all been for relatives and friends and mostly free. Might as well make money doing something I like to do.

There will always be people against male providers, but even now, there are many against female firefighters and police officers. We just have to overlook those with wrong attitudes.
      Children are little angels, even when they are little devils.
      They are also our future.

Comment

Working...
      X