Harder to Get Going Every Morning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post
    Sounds like SAD. Apparently it's common, especially for those living in areas where snow/sunshine impact daily life activities.

Here is the link to the Mayo clinic where they explain it well. Pay close attention to the different symptoms for SAD and Major Depression so you can seek help if your symptoms appear to be a sign of something deeper.

"In most cases, seasonal affective disorder symptoms appear during late fall or early winter and go away during the sunnier days of spring and summer. However, some people with the opposite pattern have symptoms that begin in spring or summer. In either case, symptoms may start out mild and become more severe as the season progresses."

Major depression

Seasonal affective disorder is a subtype of major depression that comes and goes based on seasons. So symptoms of major depression may be part of SAD, such as:
    • Feeling depressed most of the day, nearly every day
    • Feeling hopeless or worthless
    • Having low energy
    • Losing interest in activities you once enjoyed
    • Having problems with sleeping
    • Experiencing changes in your appetite or weight
    • Feeling sluggish or agitated
    • Having difficulty concentrating
    • Having frequent thoughts of death or suicide
    • Fall and winter SAD

Symptoms specific to winter-onset SAD, sometimes called winter depression, may include:
    • Irritability
    • Tiredness or low energy
    • Problems getting along with other people
    • Hypersensitivity to rejection
    • Heavy, "leaden" feeling in the arms or legs
    • Oversleeping
    • Appetite changes, especially a craving for foods high in carbohydrates
    • Weight gain

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-c...n/con-20021047
    This does sound a lot like what I've been feeling.

Initially SAD did cross my mind, but I dismissed it because we've had such a mild winter, we've been able to get out, etc. and otherwise things are great- kids, hubby, work, etc. so I couldn't understand why I was feeling the way I do. I was starting to feel like a brat::

Comment

If your licensing allows this. Here we cannot gather at another provider's house or she/he will be out of ratio, no matter that another provider is there. All children at any house have to fit in that provider's license.
      You can gather at parks, libraries, etc. though.

Originally posted by MarinaVanessa View Post
      IDK if it's SAD or not but when I got blue I started planning field trips with other providers to parks and their homes.

There was a provider friend that had a HUGE yard and would invite like 6-8 of us providers over to her house every other week for picnic lunch potlucks and play-dates and would hold preschool activities twice a week at her house (one other provider each day, alternated since we all wanted to go but she didn't want so many of us over everyday so she limited the days she wanted "guests" and gave us each a "turn" :. It was great for me to have scheduled events like this with another adult to talk to that was in the business.

If you can't be outside as much because of winter weather maybe just finding another provider that you can visit and that can come over and visit you too.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post
        Sounds like SAD. Apparently it's common, especially for those living in areas where snow/sunshine impact daily life activities.

Here is the link to the Mayo clinic where they explain it well. Pay close attention to the different symptoms for SAD and Major Depression so you can seek help if your symptoms appear to be a sign of something deeper.

"In most cases, seasonal affective disorder symptoms appear during late fall or early winter and go away during the sunnier days of spring and summer. However, some people with the opposite pattern have symptoms that begin in spring or summer. In either case, symptoms may start out mild and become more severe as the season progresses."

Major depression

Seasonal affective disorder is a subtype of major depression that comes and goes based on seasons. So symptoms of major depression may be part of SAD, such as:
        • Feeling depressed most of the day, nearly every day
        • Feeling hopeless or worthless
        • Having low energy
        • Losing interest in activities you once enjoyed
        • Having problems with sleeping
        • Experiencing changes in your appetite or weight
        • Feeling sluggish or agitated
        • Having difficulty concentrating
        • Having frequent thoughts of death or suicide
        • Fall and winter SAD

Symptoms specific to winter-onset SAD, sometimes called winter depression, may include:
        • Irritability
        • Tiredness or low energy
        • Problems getting along with other people
        • Hypersensitivity to rejection
        • Heavy, "leaden" feeling in the arms or legs
        • Oversleeping
        • Appetite changes, especially a craving for foods high in carbohydrates
        • Weight gain

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-c...n/con-20021047
        SAD was the first thing I thought of. IF it lingers beyond what would be reasonable for that, see your doctor. I have Major Depressive Disorder. My meds make my life livable! I still don't like to get out of bed in the morning, but that is because I never have, I am not a morning person at all.

Comment

Thanks BC for the info. I do deal with depression and anxiety so am on meds. for that. I don't know. Some days it feels like it wouldn't take much to pick up the phone and take a mental day ya know? I'm sure it's not any worse than many people feel this time of year. I also think there is a 3 letter word that describes a lot of the why I feel this way. R U T
          And I can't seem to find the energy or inspiration to make any changes.

This too shall pass.

Comment

OH yes ..every year
            the older I get the harder it feels
            sad, winter blues, the funk
            best part was knowing what it was and knowing I will come out of it
            and I did about 2 weeks ago
            SAD is common where I live
            lots vits double D's and a light over the sink for those really dreay days
            BC's post lots of good ideas

Comment

Originally posted by Josiegirl View Post
              Thanks BC for the info. I do deal with depression and anxiety so am on meds. for that. I don't know. Some days it feels like it wouldn't take much to pick up the phone and take a mental day ya know? I'm sure it's not any worse than many people feel this time of year. I also think there is a 3 letter word that describes a lot of the why I feel this way. R U T
              And I can't seem to find the energy or inspiration to make any changes.

This too shall pass.
              Do you have any time off? Can you pick a day in the next few weeks to take off? Sometimes just doing that makes a huge difference in my mental health

Comment

Originally posted by Play Care View Post
                Do you have any time off? Can you pick a day in the next few weeks to take off? Sometimes just doing that makes a huge difference in my mental health
                That is exactly what I plan on doing 2nd weekend in April. I need at least 1 day off asap.

Comment

I've been feeling down lately too. I know when I can get outside with the kids for an extended period of time, it really helps. For me, I've been fighting this cold/bronchitis thing for a few weeks, which has left me exhausted everyday. Its much better, but the weather isn't helping either. Last week, I planned a "beach day" with the kids. We all wore summer clothes in the house, and ate hot dogs on beach blankets. We played in sand inside. It really helped just wearing shorts, . My suggestion is to plan a special day to look forward to. (Either with or without the daycare.)

Comment

Pepperth et al, I hope everyone who deals with the winter schlumps starts to feel uplifted again soon!
                    With the SA coming this week, I've been cruising on pinterest(and thanks to MsLisa for getting me started with that!) and writing down some ideas, that's been helpful in getting some inspiration. And if they find my ideas 'booorrrring' they're welcome to pick a stick out of my jar of 'things to do when you're booorrreed' Lol So just maybe I'll get my book shelves dusted and organized this week, some of my door ways cleaned up(baby wipe idea from someone on here thank you!) and lots of other chores caught up.

I was outside a lot yesterday shoveling and helped my neighbor out, which always leaves a good feeling. I should do that more often. Plus I skyped with my dd and bf, talked with my sister too. So it all helped. It's too easy to shut myself off from everything and everyone. It then becomes a vicious cycle that's hard to break. Reaching out is difficult but it's usually what helps.
                    Thanks everyone and have a HAPPY DAY!:hug:

Comment

Pepperth et al, I hope everyone who deals with the winter schlumps starts to feel uplifted again soon!
                      With the SA coming this week, I've been cruising on pinterest(and thanks to MsLisa for getting me started with that!) and writing down some ideas, that's been helpful in getting some inspiration. And if they find my ideas 'booorrrring' they're welcome to pick a stick out of my jar of 'things to do when you're booorrreed' Lol So just maybe I'll get my book shelves dusted and organized this week, some of my door ways cleaned up(baby wipe idea from someone on here thank you!) and lots of other chores caught up.

I was outside a lot yesterday shoveling and helped my neighbor out, which always leaves a good feeling. I should do that more often. Plus I skyped with my dd and bf, talked with my sister too. So it all helped. It's too easy to shut myself off from everything and everyone. It then becomes a vicious cycle that's hard to break. Reaching out is difficult but it's usually what helps.
                      Thanks everyone and have a HAPPY DAY!:hug:
                      I do the same thing. I think it is the depression, it makes you want to be alone, and that is the last thing we need! Sometimes things like going to church are so hard to just get up, get dressed and go. But then when I do go, I feel so much better later!

Comment

Haha I do have time off. I am closing at 2:45 on Tuesday so I can sit an hour and a half in the dentist's chair and pay him 1100 bucks. Eek. But he has great music! Didn't someone from here say they looked forward to simply going to the dentist as an escape? Now it's my turn. It'd just be lots nicer if it didn't cost so darn much.

Comment

Haha I do have time off. I am closing at 2:45 on Tuesday so I can sit an hour and a half in the dentist's chair and pay him 1100 bucks. Eek. But he has great music! Didn't someone from here say they looked forward to simply going to the dentist as an escape? Now it's my turn. It'd just be lots nicer if it didn't cost so darn much.
                          ::I literally can go to sleep while having my teeth cleaned...that tells you how relaxed I get when away from daycare some days.::

Comment

Working...
                          X