Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Are the Penalties for Breaking A (Dumb) California Rule?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Are the Penalties for Breaking A (Dumb) California Rule?

I personally think that the following rule is rather dumb (taken verbatim from https://daycare.com/california/)=>

For a small family child care home, the maximum number of children for whom care shall be provided, including children under age 10 who live in the licensee's home, is:
    - four infants; or
    - six children, no more than three of whom may be infants; or
    - (...not important to us...)

But what happens, if my wife actually breaks this rule? For example, what happens if they catch my wife caring for 6 infants?

She would be considered out of ratio. (Over the number of children in one age group she can legally have). This happened to a friend of mine and they fined her and put her on probation for one year. (And she was only over by 1 child). Licensing doesn't mess around.

Comment

That is the worst type of violation you can get in CA. NOT only will you be fined, but you will be forced to have to post for one year your violation, have all current parents sign it and put it in their file as proof you told them you broke the law and you will have to tell all potential clients the same. If you are caught again while on your one year porbation you will be shut down and can face criminal charges.

No one would want to use your services With that violation.

I highly suggest you rethink breaking this rule.

Comment

I don't get what's so dumb about it. We all know the lower the ratio, the better the care. We all want infants to have the best care possible. I can imagine the quality of care 6 infants can get from one adult and it's not as good as a max of 4. The infant center I worked in actually went better than that and we had 1:3. Much better for relationships and attachment. Each child had an assigned primary caregiver. And actually what licensing calls for is kinda considered not as good as what should actually be required- which is why our director had a 1:3 ratio. Licensing regs are the MINIMUM of care required. Many providers go way better than licensing regs require- as they should. I know it seems like licensing just wants to make things difficult sometimes but I definitely don't see it that way as far as ratios are concerned.

Comment

I agree with you in that some rules are 'dumb' and over the top. BUT not ratios. They're a safety rule and that's our #1 priority in child care isn't it????:confused:
          In my state, that's also one of the worst violations there is. And I can see why, especially when it comes to numbers of infants.

Comment

Originally posted by Sergio View Post
            I personally think that the following rule is rather dumb (taken verbatim from https://daycare.com/california/)=>

But what happens, if my wife actually breaks this rule? For example, what happens if they catch my wife caring for 6 infants?
            That's a big no no in my state too. I don't think it's a dumb rule. If you had an emergency and needed to get out of the house quick I think you would have a hard time doing it with six infants.

Comment

This has GOT to be a troll, right?

A provider wouldn't even FATHOM wanting to care for 6 infants. Talk about insanity!

Comment

Originally posted by daycarediva View Post

A provider wouldn't even FATHOM wanting to care for 6 infants. Talk about insanity!
                I think two or three infants can be to much on a hard day! Can you imagine six infants that are having a bad crying day? Oh my.

Comment

Actually I had 6 in Indiana all under age 2.5yrs as a registered provider and in AR I did 5 under 24 months for 7 years... Of course I had my homeschooled dd to help when I was in Indiana... dd moved out after 2 years in AR, but then I dropped my numbers to 4 FT. I was legal both times, but to do it illegally, not a chance. I am happy sticking with 4 here in TN and that's what my limit is licensed or legally licensed exempt. BTW, my sweet # is 4 kids

The OP is risking their career by going out of ratio because they think it's a dumb rule

Comment

:: Yep!

Comment

Originally posted by Josiegirl View Post
                      I agree with you in that some rules are 'dumb' and over the top. BUT not ratios. They're a safety rule and that's our #1 priority in child care isn't it????:confused:
                      In my state, that's also one of the worst violations there is. And I can see why, especially when it comes to numbers of infants.
                      Agreed. I remember having just 2 infants when I first started, and vowed never to have more than one after that. I love babies, but they require a lot of care.

::
                      Homeschooling Mama to:
                      lovethis
                      dd12
                      ds 10
                      dd 8

Comment

I agree!!! Considering some providers won't even care for infants!

Comment

The poster has been on asking other questions about his wife starting a day care...

I feel sorry for his wife if this is legit. A person would soon burn out taking that many infants on their own, even if it were legal. In this case the husband is trying to get around a rule that he won't even have to face the consequences for (too many kids, possible state sanctions, provider burn out, etc) and if they are taking this step because they don't want to put their own kids in day care, then how awful that the kids would be stuck at home with too many other kids and not getting proper attention from their parent.

If your wife wants to start a legit child care, then do it the right way. If you as a family can't make ends meet staying in state mandated ratios, then child care isn't the option for your family.

Comment

I get that an infant being defined as 0-2y is annoying occasionally as there is a huge difference between a 3m and a 19m. I think I would do splendidly with 6 18m old toddler. BUT I would never break the law. I value my ability to continue offering quality childcare. If I got caught the consequences are huge.

Comment

Originally posted by Play Care View Post
                              The poster has been on asking other questions about his wife starting a day care...

I feel sorry for his wife if this is legit. A person would soon burn out taking that many infants on their own, even if it were legal. In this case the husband is trying to get around a rule that he won't even have to face the consequences for (too many kids, possible state sanctions, provider burn out, etc) and if they are taking this step because they don't want to put their own kids in day care, then how awful that the kids would be stuck at home with too many other kids and not getting proper attention from their parent.

If your wife wants to start a legit child care, then do it the right way. If you as a family can't make ends meet staying in state mandated ratios, then child care isn't the option for your family.
                              I agree that this wouldn't be a troll. But many of the posts seem a little "off" to me. Like paying $24 an hour for a substitute. No way any of us could afford that. Cheaper to close for the day or half day or whatever.

Comment

Working...
                              X