Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question About Weather Appropriate Clothes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question About Weather Appropriate Clothes?

This might end up being more of a vent! Today it was -15 with the windchill. Dcg4 shows up with just a coat (no sweater, hat, scarf, gloves!) but mom is bundled up with a scarf, hat and gloves!

I have a dcg4 that I walk to preschool every day. It's about 1/2mile away and maybe a 15 minute walk. Our winter has been pretty mild until last week.

I'm not sure what to do. Dcf family live 3 houses down from me, should I refuse to allow dcg4 into care until she's bundled up? the dcf is very sweet but SO oblivious about things. Mom seemed shocked when I asked why dcg wasn't wearing a hat and gloves?

Is it my place to say what 'bundled up' means?

Originally posted by sahm1225 View Post
    This might end up being more of a vent! Today it was -15 with the windchill. Dcg4 shows up with just a coat (no sweater, hat, scarf, gloves!) but mom is bundled up with a scarf, hat and gloves!

I have a dcg4 that I walk to preschool every day. It's about 1/2mile away and maybe a 15 minute walk. Our winter has been pretty mild until last week.

I'm not sure what to do. Dcf family live 3 houses down from me, should I refuse to allow dcg4 into care until she's bundled up? the dcf is very sweet but SO oblivious about things. Mom seemed shocked when I asked why dcg wasn't wearing a hat and gloves?

Is it my place to say what 'bundled up' means?
    Funny how odd parents can be about this stuff.

I suppose a lot of it is related to the no jacket in the car seat recommendations.... I don't know but no coat in the dead of winter seems to be a common issue for providers.

However, I'd refuse care unless she has the proper gear.

Once you accept her into your care you assume liability for her safety and well being. If she gets frostbitten during the walk to preschool, its on you.

Saying the parent didnt send proper gear is not an acceptable excuse.

Comment

During winter months I require additional layers, hat and a jacket to be left here at the daycare. If they need help getting one we have a coat swap where they can give me one that no longer fits their child and I will give them one in their child's siZe.

I buy jackets at yard sales or parents donate them to our program when their kid out grows them.

So if they don't have these items in their cubby they won't get dropped off for the day.

It doesn't get nearly as cold as where you are but cold is cold no matter where you live.

Comment

I am very specific with what appropriate outdoor gear is. I hand out a list at the beginning of each season.

I will, and have, turned kids away at the door. I will, and have, called for parents to either drop off gear or pick up their child. (funny, it was always the same family )

As this family is only 3 doors down, I would think it would not be a big deal for dcm to turn around with their child and get the appropriate stuff.

It (should) only take being turned away once.

Comment

Mom is aware that the child will be walking outside each day, right? I know some parents may not bring items if they don't know or "forget" their child will be going out, or believe the provider will drive when the weather gets cold.

We've also had a similar weather pattern this year so I feel your pain. Last week we had 60 degree days and this week it's in the 20's and possible snow showers.

Comment

I just wouldn't take to school. Or refuse care if they don't have proper clothes and aren't only reason you go out.

Comment

I supply a checklist. It has to be left here. I set a deadline at the beginning of the season, and I turn them away if they miss it. No more issues.

Comment

I had two separate parents like this. Very self absorbed and the kids were last on their list. I ended up having to buy a bunch of winter items for their kids. I know it is not my responsibility but I wanted to do it for them. I would just make comments to mom about how she wore the hat from here or the mitts from here or whatever. They never really clued in. I was just tired of constant reminders and parenting the parent. I even bought clothes for one particular DCK because she would regularly come with holes, clothes too small so her belly would stick out, shoes so big or so small she couldn't run etc. and I would take the kids on outings and I felt embarrassed for her.

Comment

I've been keeping dcg hat at daycare because she never brings it back. Today dcg brought gloves so I put them in their locker in the bin with that hat that stays at daycare. Dcd opens the bin and takes the gloves. It was during pickup time and it was hectic so I didn't notice until they opened the door to leave. I tell them to stop and ask dcg for the gloves. I then tell dad that she needs extra clothes for me to bundle her up in because they continue to send her in short sleeve tops and no sweater. Dcd turns to dcg and says 'oh no, we're you cold today?' And I reply for her saying she's been cold all week and you need to send her in warmer clothes.

It was 8 today. Colder with the windchill. YES dcg is cold!

Comment

How does this sound?

Hi, can you send supplies please?

I also wanted to talk to you about xxxx. It has been very cold on our walks to school and she complains about being cold. Can you send a scarf and either an extra shirt or a sweater to be kept in the locker for our walks? Tomorrow it is projected to be 10 degrees when we are walking. Unfortunately, I won't be able to continue taking her to school if she is not dressed appropriately.

Comment

Originally posted by sahm1225 View Post
                      How does this sound?

Hi, can you send supplies please?

I also wanted to talk to you about xxxx. It has been very cold on our walks to school and she complains about being cold. Can you send a scarf and either an extra shirt or a sweater to be kept in the locker for our walks? Tomorrow it is projected to be 10 degrees when we are walking. Unfortunately, I won't be able to continue taking her to school if she is not dressed appropriately.
                      I would ask can you... I would not give a choice.

due to the extremely cold weather all children must be dressed in the following each day:
                      hat
                      scarf
                      jacket
                      long sleve shirt
                      If your child is not dressed as stated above, we will not allow for your child to be dropped off until you have these items for them.

Or your child needs to have the following items to be KEPT HERE:
                      name your items..

The letter is good, but it sounds like you are giving her an out by saying CAN you send her in _______________

Comment

Originally posted by daycare View Post
                        I would ask can you... I would not give a choice.

due to the extremely cold weather all children must be dressed in the following each day:
                        hat
                        scarf
                        jacket
                        long sleve shirt
                        If your child is not dressed as stated above, we will not allow for your child to be dropped off until you have these items for them.

Or your child needs to have the following items to be KEPT HERE:
                        name your items..

The letter is good, but it sounds like you are giving her an out by saying CAN you send her in _______________

Should I print this and hand it to them? Or just send them an email?

Comment

If it were me I would call and then follow up with a one time text reminder.

For me talking face to face or on the phone is sometimes best, especially when it is really important.

Comment

I would print and post notice where they hang up coats.I also added that repeated lack of supplies warranted provider to purchase and charge parent for supplies.

Comment

Originally posted by rosieteddy View Post
                              I would print and post notice where they hang up coats.I also added that repeated lack of supplies warranted provider to purchase and charge parent for supplies.
                              I only provide drop off at school for one child so it would be obvious who the notice was for.

I sent the message daycare wrote and added that beginning Monday, I would no longer take her to school if she didn't have appropriate clothes.
                              the next day dcg shows up with a sweater that is a size too small and a promise that they will buy her mittens and scarf over the weekend.

This family is odd at times. The parents are always bundled up but dcg and sister (1) are never dressed appropriately (usually wrong size or season). I've offered hand me downs of clothes and even when they take it, they never wear them. For the infant, I just keep clothes at daycare for her and change her. The dcg4 wears a size 6 and I don't have extras in that size since I usually have ages 4 and under. I honestly think that they don't realize that even though they only walk 3 houses down, that it is cold!

Comment

Working...
                              X