Holding a Spot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by midaycare View Post
    Similar to ours. But she still needs kids. The hardest part when opening is getting the first few. Once parents know others have signed on, they become more willing.

She may get 25 calls for infant care before March. Or she may not get even one. Hard to predict. But ss a newbie, I'd take a 2 week deposit and sign them up.
    I wouldn't say don't take the family! That would be asinine but I would definitely advertise and keep interviewing. I was almost full before I was fully licensed. Well, guess what, I lost 3 families because they 'changed their minds.' Licensing even said that I should have charged because I'm a business not just doing a favor for people and since they weren't invested in me already, they could just walk away. It took me 2 months busting my butt to fill my spots and won't make any real money until next year. I learned my lesson the hard way. Also, in my area they have after school programs so school agers are hard to enroll. I started with an infant legally unlicensed, I had signed an older infant to start fall, I had a 2 year old with a fall start, and and infant in January that wasnt born yet at the time, also another 2 year old in the winter. I lost both preschoolers and the infant, I still have the now born infant and the first family I started with, just enrolled a preschooler and a 9 month old. One I've been doing part time until going full time in January. To say the least, I almost just quit to find a "real" job. I needed money and have been relying on family for help, which I'm grateful for but not an ideal situation. I'm a single mother so this was a dire situation, no help from dad, my 14 year relationship fell apart earlier this year. I've been in a struggle to survive and at times wondered if I was crazy to put so much work into an industry that takes a lot of unpaid time to get started. So, I guess, if you have a fallback and a husband, good for you, seriously, more security. But I learned to keep your options open because you're the one screwed when everything falls apart.

Comment

I would require a two week non refundable holding fee. Not a typical deposit, plus a (say $ 30-50)weekly maintenance fee to keep spot. At time of enrollment I would require a two week deposit to be used towards the last two weeks care, after required notice, not dependent on attendance.
      I would be sure to send a nice gift when baby is born as well. To cement the relationship and bond.

Comment

Originally posted by laundrymom View Post
        I would require a two week non refundable holding fee. Not a typical deposit, plus a (say $ 30-50)weekly maintenance fee to keep spot. At time of enrollment I would require a two week deposit to be used towards the last two weeks care, after required notice, not dependent on attendance.
        I would be sure to send a nice gift when baby is born as well. To cement the relationship and bond.
        This sounds like a perfect plan. I used what Childcaremom shared and have come up with this:

This is to confirm that I wish to enroll my child, ________________________________ in childcare starting on _______________________.

I understand that a non-refundable holding fee of $__________ is required to hold this spot for my child, commencing on _________________. This amount will not be applied to your child’s future tuition.

Please note: This holding fee is non-refundable. The fee is to hold your child’s spot. If you decide not to enroll your child, the fee will not be refunded.
        I also require a maintenance fee of $25 per week to be paid by 5:00pm Friday for the upcoming week in order to keep holding the spot. Failure to make these payments on time will result in forfeiting the position, holding fee, and weekly maintenance fees paid.
        Please fill in below and return to guarantee your spot being held. Thank you!

I have read the above information and know that if I decide not to enroll my child on __________________, I will forfeit the entirety of the holding fee ($________) and all weekly maintenance fees paid.

I would also take a deposit of 2 weeks pay when they are enrolled and beginning care. Is that too much to reasonably expect? $340 non-refundable fee, $25/ week while the position is held, $340 deposit (that will be used for the last 2 weeks of care) when contract is signed, and the $170 for the first week.

Comment

I don't know how much need there is for childcare in your area, but around here there's no way a family would pay that much out to hold a spot There's so many family daycare homes, daycare centers, and stay at home moms who are "just babysitting" as they call it, that any family will just move right along to the next person if too much money is involved to hold the spot. I definitely think you should charge something to hold the spot, however. If it were me I would do as a couple others have said that they do: charge a two week deposit to be used as the holding fee, and apply it toward their first two weeks of care (or last two weeks). And if they change their mind before the infant starts, they lose the deposit. If I understood right, you are allowed enough kids that you will most likely not be full by March, even if the need for childcare is fairly high there. I moved here and started childcare in June, I'm allowed five at one time, and here it is almost January and I'm still not full, plus I lost one along the way (which was actually a blessing in disguise ) I only have part timers and drop ins right now, with two more part timers starting next week. Actually, if I had been willing to do infants (as in 6 weeks old) and work 12-14 hour days, I probably would have been full by now, so I can't really say that... But anyway, my point is that it's pretty unlikely you'd be too full by March to be able to take on the one you'd be holding the spot for. How long have you been advertising and ready to begin?

Comment

Originally posted by Preschool/daycare teacher View Post
            But anyway, my point is that it's pretty unlikely you'd be too full by March to be able to take on the one you'd be holding the spot for. How long have you been advertising and ready to begin?
            I am allowed 3 kids under 2. My son is included in that and I have another infant starting the first week of April (I didn't do any holding fee for her due to connections.) So I only have 1 more opening for any child under 2. There is a big demand for infants in my area.
            But I don't want to scare them away. Perhaps the deposit+$25/week, but not the non-refundable fee? The purpose of the weekly amount is more to ensure they're still interested throughout the hold time than it is to make money. Or is that unnecessary? 2-3 months is a long time!

Comment

Negotiate with them. Tell them that you would think it reasonable for the rate and see what they think. If they really like you,they'll choose you. The most important thing is that you keep up communication with them and check in with them about their baby so they know you're interested in caring for their child. They'll like that and respect you as well because your showing interest in the care of their child not just the money. In my experience, it's good to get a solid commitment from them either way so you know how to go forward.

Comment

Ah okay, if infant care is much needed in your area, you may have better luck keeping them interested until March. How good of a fit does this family seem? If they seem to be a perfect fit I'd try a little harder to not scare them away (I mean in being careful how much I ask from them for holding the spot). A deposit for their first two weeks and your $25/week holding fee seems fair since infant care is a big need around there and they would be taking your last infant spot.
                Last edited by Preschool/daycare teacher; 12-31-2015, 09:28 AM. Reason: edited to add

Comment

Working...
                X