Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not Happy - First Payment Problem

I have a family - Mom/Dad and 2 DCB's.

This family has been wonderful in the past. The potty trained request happened (this is the 30 minute family) and I shot it down.

I feel like me saying no to taking DCB every 30 minutes has made this family salty. They are well off and take a lot of vacations. My policy is that "tuition is due at pick up on the child's last day of care for the following week." This family's last day is Tuesday and they will return on 1/4. My policy means that they must pay tuition on Tuesday for the next two weeks (the week they are gone and the week they return) because DCB's last day is Tuesday.

I sent an email to Mom about a month ago breaking down amounts by week. Dad asked yesterday for the amounts. I printed off the email with tuition amounts and what day they were due by. He then asks today at pick up if they can pay 1/2 tuition on Tuesday and half tuition when they return on Monday for the week of 1/4.

Am I being unreasonable for saying no?

At first I am thinking no way because they have paid in advance before when going on vacations. And then I second guessed myself and since I have not had any problems regarding payment from them in past I wondered if i should give them leeway this one time. What do you think?

My fear is always that if I bend the rules once they will want it over and over again. But I only feel that way because it has happened to me like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Thriftylady View Post
      My fear is always that if I bend the rules once they will want it over and over again. But I only feel that way because it has happened to me like that.
      This is my fear as well. I have not had any problems from them in the past though and honestly was quite shocked when dad asked as this has been my policy the entire time they have attended.

Comment

"As you know my policy is ..blah blah blah. I checked over my budget and I do need to stick to my policy on this. I must have groceries and supplies on hand. I am sure you understand"

Comment

Depends on the family. If they have been with me over a year and golden - then sure, if I can afford the payment when they get back - sure.

If they are not golden and have only been around a few months - nope

Also - I love the term "salty" just wanted to thank you for using it

Comment

If it were me and this was an otherwise good family I would accept post dated checks for the dates when payment would normally be due if the child were attending as usual. All my families pay by check, though, so it's easy for me to do it that way.

Comment

I would be ok with it personally if this is the only issue you are having. I currently have a family that owes me money but I am willing to wait a week so that it coincides with their pay dates. I don't charge for my vacations and am taking 2 weeks off which will screw up their pay schedule. I feel that since it is "my fault" I am willing to let it slide.

Comment

Originally posted by Baby Beluga View Post

Am I being unreasonable for saying no?

At first I am thinking no way because they have paid in advance before when going on vacations. And then I second guessed myself and since I have not had any problems regarding payment from them in past I wondered if i should give them leeway this one time. What do you think?
                I'm in the 'sticking to your policies' camp.
                In my mind, you do it for one, then do it for all.
                When the business and friendliness lines are blurred, things get messy and I prefer a cut/dry business relationship.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowmom View Post
                  I'm in the 'sticking to your policies' camp.
                  In my mind, you do it for one, then do it for all.
                  When the business and friendliness lines are blurred, things get messy and I prefer a cut/dry business relationship.
                  In general I am this way too. I feel like it just makes things easier and allows for a greater trust to be placed in me as a provider. Almost like, if parents don't know about personal situations and things are black and white then I am "super human" and somehow more reliable for that. If that makes any sense, although I am probably not articulating it correctly

Either way, mom sent me an email and said that things have been chaotic at their house and DCD was just trying to help not knowing that DCM has already made arrangements to pay everything on time. So, this problem is solved I guess. Which I am happy for, because they really have been a great family.

Comment

"Sure! But any unpaid fees are subject to an automatic late fee in addition to the amount due so just make sure to include the late fees in with the payment you bring when you on Monday"

Comment

Originally posted by Baby Beluga View Post
                      In general I am this way too. I feel like it just makes things easier and allows for a greater trust to be placed in me as a provider. Almost like, if parents don't know about personal situations and things are black and white then I am "super human" and somehow more reliable for that. If that makes any sense, although I am probably not articulating it correctly

Either way, mom sent me an email and said that things have been chaotic at their house and DCD was just trying to help not knowing that DCM has already made arrangements to pay everything on time. So, this problem is solved I guess. Which I am happy for, because they really have been a great family.
                      That is great! A similar situation with my family...they actually didn't ask to postpone payment and were going to pay on time but I offered. I like receiving payments opposite my husband anyway so it's a win on both sides.

Glad it worked out

Comment

Working...
                      X