Noise Downstairs While Toddler Sleeping Upstairs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noise Downstairs While Toddler Sleeping Upstairs

Do you think a toddler can be okay with noise going on downstairs if she's sleeping upstairs? I have an 18 month old sleeping upstairs right now, and three x three year old boys downstairs plus my five yo daughter. The older children were being very noisy, and I was worried that they would wake up 18 mth old, who was right above them.
    So I tried to have them watch a show, but that didnt' work very well. They chose the show but it didnt' hold their attention and they were just acting up. I'm wondering if I should just let them play and let dcg try to nap through some noise. She's not hard to put down for a nap and sleeps enough--I was just thinking that maybe she'd sleep more without the noise.

Sounds like you need some nap time rules. Here they have to pick quiet activities during rest time. They can color, do puzzles whatever is quiet independently and alone (keeps noise down). If they can't do that, they have to lay down also.

Comment

Do you have a white noise machine or a fan or something to drown out the noise? I think that coupled with some quiet time activities would help. Most kids eventually adapt to the noise level but this will definitely help.

Comment

Excellent suggestions! Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Ariana View Post
          Do you have a white noise machine or a fan or something to drown out the noise? I think that coupled with some quiet time activities would help. Most kids eventually adapt to the noise level but this will definitely help.

Comment

When I have younger children who need multiple naps, the other children get provider led, quiet activity. It would be table time with puzzles or drawing, etc. or circle/story time or I break out the hoopla hoops and assign separated activities with a timer and the kids rotate when the timer goes off.
            The hoops are convienently separated far apart
            In each case I'm right with them supervising, encouraging quiet voices, etc. And like another poster, children who are purposely being loud can go lay down on their mats in the nap room.
            In my state we are no longer allowed to nap kids on separate floors so I have littles in PNP's in my dining room and we stay in the play room and family room. Not ideal at all which is why I try not to take infants under 1 year who are more likely to need more than one nap.

Comment

I am way too lazy to plan quiet activities or to enforce quiet time rules... !

I train my kiddos to sleep through noise. I can nap all my kiddos in 2 rooms side by side and vacuum in the other rooms and not a single kid will wake.

NONE of my kiddos sleep outside of my direct line of supervision and never behind closed doors. Not even the older ones.

My infants under 12 months sleep in the main daycare room amongst everything that goes on during the day.

I partner with parents to make sure no one purposely trains their child to sleep in silence as that is simply not something I can provide here.

Comment

I used music.I pick one station and its on through nap.They quickly learn to sleep through it.When everyone sleeps 1-3 its on in all of first floor.Kids are trained to not get up until music is off.It worked for 20 yrs.

Comment

Working...
                X