No announcement yet.

Dog Snapped at DCG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a different opinion. I've been doing daycare a long time and have learned to do what is best for me and my family ALWAYS. I wouldn't separate my dog from me all day long. I enjoy my dog's companionship and would never lock him away from me. I would pick my family's four-legged-child's happiness over someone else's mile-long-mean-streak-kid's any day!

This is something that will most likely greatly improve in the coming months as the DCG ages and matures. However, we all know that that is a long and bumpy road. I think I would use the dog incident as my out for ending care, and suggest they find a daycare that does not have resident pets. The peace you and the other DCKs get when she's gone will probably surprise you!

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post
      IF something should ever happen in regards to the dog injuring a daycare child, your home owners would more than likely cancel you.

I've even heard of some cases in which the city/authorities demanded that the animal that bit someone be euthanized since they are a danger to others.

Also, the parents could potentially sue you for damages, including pain and suffering so even if you don't have to answer to licensing, you would still be liable in VERY costly ways.

I'd keep your dog 100% away from any of your daycare clients (parents and kids) just so that you are 100% that nothing could ever happen.
      I do understand that I am fully liable. I just meant that I don't know who I would report it to as far as giving licensing a heads up or something like that.

Comment

Originally posted by CoachingForQualityImprovement View Post
        I would reach out to them and ask.

I would also talk to the parents and ask them what THEY are doing to teach her appropriate behaviors. She is likely, at 22 months, attempting to play with the dogs, and perhaps the children with you, but hasn't yet learned how to initiate play in an appropriate manner. 22 month olds are still learning ALOT about what is and isn't appropriate in regards to behavior, initiating play and social skills.

Rather than putting her in a play pen when she "misbehaves" (which is really just a time-out), I would be very proactive, remaining within close proximity of her as much as is feasibly possible and gently redirecting her when she behaves in a way that is not acceptable. She is still very young and egocentric. She needs to be shown and told what is and isn't okay.
        The parents remove her from the situation when she is aggressive which is why I was using the playpen. I can't move her to another area away from me so I use the pack n play. How would you gently redirect? I really am open for suggestions, but I currently try very hard to keep her within arms reach and there is just no warning. Im sitting right there playing with her and she's smiling as she reaches up and shoves someone right beside me. There's just no indication its happening until she's mid slap. I don't know how to redirect that other than moving her away.

Comment

I have a tiny terror that is 23m. He has been my constant shadow since he was around 16m because he would bite one of the other babies. It has been rough, and honestly if I hadn't fallen in love with him as a newborn, and he didn't have such amazing parents, I would have termed him. He has gotten a lot better since he learned to say "no no no" to anyone trying to take his toys, but I do still have to monitor him VERY closely. He very rarely tries to bite anymore, which is fabulous.

He spent a lot of time in time out, which is just a spot in my living room that he can sit quietly. I felt bad about it and tried to cut back, and it resulted in the same thing you are experiencing. He got more aggressive. I figured out that he NEEDS that time away from the others. When he is ready to come out he will and be a much happier little guy. He learned that he can put himself in time out and I won't let anyone bother him. It works for us. Maybe try that with her?

Comment

Working...
          X