Zoning Application Woes...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zoning Application Woes...

In efforts of trying to start a Group Home daycare vs a Family Home daycare, I had to get approval with our township zoning. Not only did this include a fee of, I kid you not, $750.00, but I also would have to go in front of our township chapter AND place not just a simple fence up around the play area, but a state ordinance approved fence up!!! Needless to say, I'm going to have to start with just a family home daycare to save up for the group home cost. Here's the kicker...family home daycare only allows for up to 6 kids...your own included in that count. I have 2 kids of my own, my friend has 3...wanting 4. If I cut a deal for a friend, I won't make enough to save up to have more kids in my daycare. Do any of you cut deals for friends? What would you do if you were in my shoes?:confused:

As a rule, no. Friends and family pay the same as everyone else. The only exception I've made to that was giving a Tuesday/Thursday Am slot to a friend. (Free) Her little girl has a speech delay and I am an early childhood special educator. The early intervention services we have here are pretty lousy so I offered her the space here. It's worked out well so far but the situations in which I would offer free or significantly discounted care are limited. Running a home based program is expensive!

Comment

I would not offer a discount. My sister paid the same amount as the rest of my daycare families.

Comment

I would not suggest offering discounts for friends. The only thing I have "fudged" for friends is my dropoff/pickup times. Other than that, they pay the same amount!

Comment

Originally posted by Carrieh View Post
          In efforts of trying to start a Group Home daycare vs a Family Home daycare, I had to get approval with our township zoning. Not only did this include a fee of, I kid you not, $750.00, but I also would have to go in front of our township chapter AND place not just a simple fence up around the play area, but a state ordinance approved fence up!!! Needless to say, I'm going to have to start with just a family home daycare to save up for the group home cost. Here's the kicker...family home daycare only allows for up to 6 kids...your own included in that count. I have 2 kids of my own, my friend has 3...wanting 4. If I cut a deal for a friend, I won't make enough to save up to have more kids in my daycare. Do any of you cut deals for friends? What would you do if you were in my shoes?:confused:
          Some do, I don't. Some will give a discount for the 3rd child /oldest. But make sure you write it up that way in the contract, so when only 2 come their is no discount. Like when the oldest goes to school, then no more discount.

I would do some more research and find out what the cost of the fence would be. You may find a way to do it with out all the cost.

I could be wrong but wouldn't the fee be a tax write off. My first year, I only made (-$75) after taxes and I was only open 2.5 months.

So keep trying, if you fail the first time, try again. We all learn something from our mistakes. I do anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by Unknown Provider View Post
            So keep trying, if you fail the first time, try again. We all learn something from our mistakes. I do anyways.
            This is so true!!

I read a motivational poster not too long ago that said:

"I never lose. I either win or learn"

Comment

Originally posted by Carrieh View Post
              I have and I would, but my discounts are nothing significant. I don't work for free. In my opinion, siblings are a lot harder to work with. And if they leave, there goes your business!

Comment

Originally posted by midaycare View Post
                I have and I would, but my discounts are nothing significant. I don't work for free. In my opinion, siblings are a lot harder to work with. And if they leave, there goes your business!
                This. I worked with an infant I would have termed for 4 mos to get him to nap because terming him would mean terming both siblings as well. It's been 6 mos now and he's a bit better but still difficult. I'd rather have a house full of only children!

Comment

Working...
                X