Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carseat Death

Baby seat strap cited in death at daycare

18m baby was strapped into his carseat for his nap. He didn't wake up. This poor baby suffocated to death. It was ruled an accident, but I hope there are consequences for this provider.

Who puts a toddler in their carseat for a nap?!! I can understand that a parent that doesn't know any better might let their infant sleep in their seat, but a toddler?

So sad

Originally posted by angelw2babies View Post
    Baby seat strap cited in death at daycare

18m baby was strapped into his carseat for his nap. He didn't wake up. This poor baby suffocated to death. It was ruled an accident, but I hope there are consequences for this provider.

Who puts a toddler in their carseat for a nap?!! I can understand that a parent that doesn't know any better might let their infant sleep in their seat, but a toddler?

So sad
    Unregistered childcare home fits in this case unless some of the 9 kids in her home were hers; Iowa only allows 5 in care for legally license exempt. Why in the heck was an 18 month sleeping in the carseat anyway?

Comment

Just especially if it turns out that unregistered is ILLEGALLY unregistered. Infuriating! I'd like to know if the daycare did not have enough cots or mats? Or was he strapped into a car seat because he wasn't cooperating with nap time? Either way, totally inexcusable and horribly neglectful at the minimum. I cannot fathom why anyone would put him in a carseat??? Why?? Senseless. I have been waiting in vain for government entities to CRACK DOWN on ILLEGALLY OPERATING daycares, without being prompted by a tragic and preventable death.

Comment

This isn't the entire story either. The car seat was placed in a closet. The child was 18 months old and placed in an infant car seat that belonged to the provider. Past clients/friends of hers have said the parents gave her permission (shudder) to put the child to sleep in a car seat because he would climb out of the pack and play they also said the closet can fit a twin sized bed. She was unregistered and it was reported she had 9 children but the news never said if any of those counted were her own children (she has teenagers).

Comment

Originally posted by nanglgrl View Post
          This isn't the entire story either. The car seat was placed in a closet. The child was 18 months old and placed in an infant car seat that belonged to the provider. Past clients/friends of hers have said the parents gave her permission (shudder) to put the child to sleep in a car seat because he would climb out of the pack and play they also said the closet can fit a twin sized bed. She was unregistered and it was reported she had 9 children but the news never said if any of those counted were her own children (she has teenagers).

This deserves criminal charges...just so wrong!!!

Comment

Sounds to me like a provider that really just didn't know any better. She allowed the parents to give her permission to do the wrong thing.
            I read things that make me cringe on child care boards every day.
            No one ever thinks it could happen to them. Until it does.
            I don't want to assume this provider was doing wrong intentionally but her behavior is definitely questionable for sure. Everyone complains about regulations but had this provider been registered she may have been forced to take safe sleep trainings that would have educated her in regards to her "unsafe habits". I also think the parents should be held accountable in some way too if what they say is true about them giving her permission to strap him into a car seat. Parents need to do their homework in regards to the provider and environment they place their child in. If they knew she was operating illegally (over ratios) then they bear part of the burden of responsibility as well. My guess is she was cheaper than other care providers and probably willing to accommodate whatever requests they had for scheduling, sleeping, eating, taking sick kids etc.
            I also want to mention that in my state I can have a 14 ft X 14 ft room but if it does not have a closet built in, it's considered a closet or pantry itself so if the provider could fit a twin sized bed in the room, I wouldn't necessarily call it a closet.

Comment

I understand, this makes me angry too! ...but, we know rules and have developed "common sense" that the average person might not have...maybe in her uneducated mind, that was the best way to keep that child safe

very sad!

Comment

Originally posted by nanglgrl View Post
                Closet? A closet? Omg no, pkease tell me it's not true. Why why why?? What an awful way to die, I'm guessing screaming and straining to get out, shut in a dark closet. I think I may vomit.

Comment

My 11 yr old grandson would know better.She restrained him in the carseat to get him to stay there.She put him in the closet to quiet his screaming.Sorry no sympathy for her or parents if they really gave permission.They new how many kids were there and probally chose her because she was cheap. I was liscenced for many years,but even if I wasn't I know not to do that .The poor baby.

Comment

So the toddler was secured in an infant car seat and placed in a closet?
                    I couldn't bring myself to click on the link.
                    So he was scared. Alone. Scared. Crying, screaming, alone. Scared. For God only knows how long. Until he was quiet. At which point, he died. And she relaxed at the lack of noise. UNtil nap was over.
                    When she found him.
                    I'm sorry.
                    But I hope she never forgets the scene. I hope it haunts her. I know that's not Christian of me. I know it. But... He was alone. And scared.
                    I'm numb. In what reality would it be okay to secure a child into a car seat and hide them in a closet for nap?
                    I'm lost. Just lost.

Comment

I don't buy the "didn't know better" idea. I've had parents directly tell me to spank their children. Did I do it? #%$& NO! She knew it was wrong to put a child in a closet.

Comment

Originally posted by laundrymom View Post
                        So the toddler was secured in an infant car seat and placed in a closet?
                        I couldn't bring myself to click on the link.
                        So he was scared. Alone. Scared. Crying, screaming, alone. Scared. For God only knows how long. Until he was quiet. At which point, he died. And she relaxed at the lack of noise. UNtil nap was over.
                        When she found him.
                        I'm sorry.
                        But I hope she never forgets the scene. I hope it haunts her. I know that's not Christian of me. I know it. But... He was alone. And scared.
                        I'm numb. In what reality would it be okay to secure a child into a car seat and hide them in a closet for nap?
                        I'm lost. Just lost.
                        He died of positional asphyxiation while he was asleep.
                        Doesn't make the situation any better but from everything I read, he didn't die in the middle of a crying fit. I could definitely be wrong but all the stories posted on various sites say nothing of him dying while struggling or crying.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                          He died of positional asphyxiation while he was asleep.
                          Doesn't make the situation any better but from everything I read, he didn't die in the middle of a crying fit. I could definitely be wrong but all the stories posted on various sites say nothing of him dying while struggling or crying.
                          Ok. So he was put in the closet because he cried. Fell asleep. And died because he couldn't breathe. Unacceptable.

Comment

I've looked at other articles, not much on this. I couldn't find where the parents allowed or approved of sleeping in the car seat. Makes no sense why they wouldn't put him in a crib if he came sleeping. One article did say the car seat was the providers, adding more mystery.

It did say a viral infection of the heart was thought to be a contributing factor. I only found 1 article that mentioned the closet so knowing how the media sensationalizes these stories I'll wait until more facts come out.

Comment

Originally posted by laundrymom View Post
                              Ok. So he was put in the closet because he cried. Fell asleep. And died because he couldn't breathe. Unacceptable.
                              I agree. I am not condoning anything the provider did. Just wanted to make mention of it as the it only hurts everyone when details of a tragedy are spread around that aren't accurate. That only serves to hurt ALL unlicensed or unregistered homes and I know many unlicensed/unregistered providers that are awesome and DO go above and beyond to provide quality and safe care.

Comment

Working...
                              X