GoFundMe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GoFundMe?

Has anyone used that , do think its a good idea just try to raise money to get my own place and start my own daycare.Right now I live with my mom and we both do the childcare, but looking to get my own place.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Has anyone used that , do think its a good idea just try to raise money to get my own place and start my own daycare.Right now I live with my mom and we both do the childcare, but looking to get my own place.
    I used gofundme to start my daycare, I didn't get much but it was enough to buy the basics and pad my toy collection out...I got around $300. The rest came out of pocket. You just really have to KNOW a lot of people...mainly my family and friends donated.

Comment

I think Go Fund Me is appropriate for people who have a sick child, serious illness, etc.

Personally, I think this trend of asking strangers for money is getting out of hand. A young man I know just started a Go-Fund-Me to pay for a trip to England. Umm....no. I love you, kiddo, but you're a own-a** man, and if you want to go to England, EARN it.

That's my opinion. Not trying to be mean, but if you have a dream of opening your own program, make it happen on your own. Get a second job for a while to save start up money, if you have to. But asking strangers for money is not appropriate, IMO.

You can do this!

Comment

I think gofundme is another example of how society feels everyone else owes them something.

For those that have disabilities and sick kids or something similar, they should have fundraisers locally so that family and friends as well as the community in which the person lives can contribute but like Heidi said, this trend of asking complete strangers for money is really getting ridiculous....and the things being asked to be funded for is getting stranger and stranger.....

Part of the "American dream" is being able to accomplish your goals and not be held back by anything other than your own restraints. Part of that same dream is working really hard for that and not expecting others to foot the bill for it.

You mentioned wanting to raise funds to move out... I'm sorry but seriously? Get a job or a second job or third job until you have earned the funds to move out like most everyone else has to do.

Once you've figured out how to earn the amount of money/income you need to be financially secure/stable, then it's the time to consider becoming self-employed and opening your own business.

Opening your own business is hard. And expensive in a lot of ways....but with a lot hard work on YOUR part, a good savings plan and a good business sense it can be done.

I am in no way saying any of this to you personally as I don't know you or your situation. I am sharing my opinion of gofundme accounts and the notion that others should give money to those that want to take the easy way out verses having to do the hard work that real life actually requires.

Comment

Originally posted by Heidi View Post
          I think Go Fund Me is appropriate for people who have a sick child, serious illness, etc.

Personally, I think this trend of asking strangers for money is getting out of hand. A young man I know just started a Go-Fund-Me to pay for a trip to England. Umm....no. I love you, kiddo, but you're a own-a** man, and if you want to go to England, EARN it.

That's my opinion. Not trying to be mean, but if you have a dream of opening your own program, make it happen on your own. Get a second job for a while to save start up money, if you have to. But asking strangers for money is not appropriate, IMO.

You can do this!
          This!!!

Comment

I don't get the "gofundme" phenomenon.
            My parents and grandparents were hard workers and luckily that's passed down on me. I had three jobs for my entire 20's and two jobs for most of my 30's.
            I almost feel lazy now only having one job in my 40's!

Comment

You can do this!
              Exactly !!!!!!

Comment

You can do this!
                I have to agree with this.

Comment

I agree with other posters. I feel that most go fund me people are trying to take the easy way out.
                  Hard work.
                  That's what it takes. Sometimes saving $5 a week.
                  That's what hubs and I did. We took 18 years but finally bought our forever home this July.
                  One dollar and dime at a time.
                  Although, I have contemplated starting a go fund account. And just being truthful.
                  "I'm lazy and want people to give me money. No reason. Just give me money."
                  Lol

Comment

If you can't afford to move out of your mom's house and get your own place on your own, gofundme is not going to help you. In order to do a home daycare, you need to be able to afford to have your own place first. It can take time to get clients (a year later I still am nowhere close to full), and you can loose clients (and income) in a hot minute. You also don't want to put yourself in a place where you have a bad client and can't afford to get rid of them, nothing like being held hostage in your own home.

Comment

I want to take a year off of working and take a trip around the world. Who wants to fund me?

Comment

Originally posted by midaycare View Post
                        I want to take a year off of working and take a trip around the world. Who wants to fund me?
                        That's going to be a big fund because the rest of us want to go with you.

Comment

See, us "older" people all seem to be on the same page with this, but my 18 year old is kind of shocked that I'm so "judgy" about it. His words..."well, if people don't want to donate, they won't".

All 3 of my adult children have sort of an attitude about hard work. I guess they've confused "go live your dreams", which they've grown up hearing, with "go let someone else fund your dreams". No, honey, you actually have to WORK for it. Just because we say follow your passions, doesn't mean you get to forget all responsibilities for it. We just mean, you don't necessarily have to be a banker, lawyer, or whatever we want you to be. Go be an artist or the next American Idol...by all means...but yeah, you might have to wait tables until you make it.

Comment

Originally posted by Thriftylady View Post
                            That's going to be a big fund because the rest of us want to go with you.
                            Wait ... Why don't you want to fund MY dreams instead of YOURS. I'm entitled.

I don't mean to rag on the OP. I was just brought up differently. And I'm not that old! But teens and young twenties today, wow! They think everything should just be handed to them.

Nothing feels as good as making your own way. As saying, "I did this. I worked for this. No matter what happens, no one can ever take that away from me." And the life experiences learned along the way ... Priceless.

Comment

Originally posted by midaycare View Post
                              Wait ... Why don't you want to fund MY dreams instead of YOURS. I'm entitled.

I don't mean to rag on the OP. I was just brought up differently. And I'm not that old! But teens and young twenties today, wow! They think everything should just be handed to them.

Nothing feels as good as making your own way. As saying, "I did this. I worked for this. No matter what happens, no one can ever take that away from me." And the life experiences learned along the way ... Priceless.
                              Yeah I am with you on that. Even about other things than money. Like when I put the new hood and stuff on my van after hitting the deer. I did that, got it taken care of while hubby was out on the road. Nothing feels better than saying, hey I pulled that off!

Comment

Working...
                              X