Magical Blankets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magical Blankets

I just wanted to thank you all for the idea of the one child per blanket training. I had never needed it before. But recently when I have been making lunch they have been getting physical, throwing toys, being generally insane. So, I put a bunch of manipulative toys, blocks and animals in giant zip lock bags along with a blanket. When we head upstairs I give each child a bag (ages 15m-5yo) and they put their own blanket out, dump their toy on their blanket, bring me the bag and then "go play toys"! I set my phone to go off every 10m, they switch to a new blanket rinse and repeat. It took 4 days of training...magical! Making lunch is so peaceful now! I had a 15m old drop in today (comes 3-5 times a month) and she always screams while I make lunch. She is super easy the rest of the day - but screams non stop while I cook. Well, today was the first time she didn't! She stayed on her blanket with the other.

THANK YOU THANK YOU!happyface

That's awesome! It's great having other input, isn't it?
    "Be careful what you teach. It might interfere with what they are learning."
    -Magda Gerber

Comment

Originally posted by Controlled Chaos View Post
      I just wanted to thank you all for the idea of the one child per blanket training. I had never needed it before. But recently when I have been making lunch they have been getting physical, throwing toys, being generally insane. So, I put a bunch of manipulative toys, blocks and animals in giant zip lock bags along with a blanket. When we head upstairs I give each child a bag (ages 15m-5yo) and they put their own blanket out, dump their toy on their blanket, bring me the bag and then "go play toys"! I set my phone to go off every 10m, they switch to a new blanket rinse and repeat. It took 4 days of training...magical! Making lunch is so peaceful now! I had a 15m old drop in today (comes 3-5 times a month) and she always screams while I make lunch. She is super easy the rest of the day - but screams non stop while I cook. Well, today was the first time she didn't! She stayed on her blanket with the other.

THANK YOU THANK YOU!happyface
      That sounds awesome! How did you get a 15 month old to stay on her blanket though ??

Comment

Well that's a cool idea! Glad it's worked out so well for you!

Comment

Originally posted by spud912 View Post
          That sounds awesome! How did you get a 15 month old to stay on her blanket though ??
          Maybe it was a special blanket with straps LOL! I kid I kid.

I need to try this for my group. Lunch is THE MOST chaotic time of the day.

Comment

I did have to put her back on her blanket a few times

Whenever I heard the blankets suggested before I thought it sounded like over kill and unnecesary but it has become a perfect lunch time solution

Comment

Originally posted by Controlled Chaos View Post
              I did have to put her back on her blanket a few times

Whenever I heard the blankets suggested before I thought it sounded like over kill and unnecesary but it has become a perfect lunch time solution
              We use hula hoops. Works the same though....

It's a great way to teach kids about personal space and boundaries.

Comment

I do this every time my kids get too rowdy. Works like a charm.

Comment

Working...
                X