"But....What Do People Do With Their Kids When You're Closed?"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "But....What Do People Do With Their Kids When You're Closed?"

And other comments made by people who don't do childcare. I know....people just don't know, but that one always gets me! My mom and I used to have this exchange every time I closed for vacation:

Mom: "Was everyone able to find someone to keep their kids while you're gone?"

Me: "I didn't ask. I gave them 2 months' notice, posted a reminder on the whiteboard, and sent a group text reminder."

Next time around, same thing.

Which comments do you all get?

Ugh, I HATE that!! I'm always getting asked what parents do when I'm closed. Not that I'm closed that often. As if I'm supposed to stay open 24/7 so that I'll be available to them? I don't take any vacations to speak off, just a day here or there, maybe close an hour or 2 early so I can make it to the dentist, things like that.
    I probably take it too personally because the people that ask have never been involved in child care at all so have no clue. But I always tell them 'not my problem'.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockgirl View Post
      And other comments made by people who don't do childcare. I know....people just don't know, but that one always gets me! My mom and I used to have this exchange every time I closed for vacation:

Mom: "Was everyone able to find someone to keep their kids while you're gone?"

Me: "I didn't ask. I gave them 2 months' notice, posted a reminder on the whiteboard, and sent a group text reminder."

Next time around, same thing.

Which comments do you all get?
      I get that one also and it always puzzles me. I wonder if they ask an elementary teacher what the parents of their students do during breaks, inservice days, etc.

Comment

I hate this question, I just let them know that I try to give notice ASAP if it's because I'm sick etc. but that for appointments I usually know at least a month ahead of time and will give them notice...most of my parents are usually able to get that day off since they can put their own notice in ahead of time. The other questions that I hate are:
        • "I see you live up near the canyon, do you check for snakes and coyotes?"....of course I do!
        • "What if my baby is sick and I can't get the day off? Will you still take the baby?".....no, never.

Comment

I get that one fairly frequently. Usually it's by people who have no clue how childcare works, so it doesn't bother me. I usually say something like "Parents are expected to have a plan in case I'm closed."

The ones I get that is pretty specific to my situation are "Do you only take boys?" or "Who changes diapers for you?" OYE

The one that confuses me is "What does your wife think of you doing a daycare?" Like I'm going to start a home based business up and just tell my wife "Oh by the way Honey- starting tomorrow I'm going to have a bunch of kids here all day long every weekday!":confused:

Comment

I had a mom call me (we used to live next door to her family when she was a teenager) asking about childcare. She said she'd like to set up a time to come meet with me. I explained that I would be closed for vacation xyz days, so we could schedule it for after that. She said, "You'll be CLOSED? Well, what do people DO? I mean....they are depending on you." We did not set up an interview. Lol

Comment

I always figure people are just trying to "talk shop" with me when they ask. I probably ask annoying questions about their jobs too

Comment

I was just asked in an interview - "are you going to let your dog bite my baby?"

Comment

Originally posted by Controlled Chaos View Post
                  I always figure people are just trying to "talk shop" with me when they ask. I probably ask annoying questions about their jobs too
                  True enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Conoad View Post
                    I was just asked in an interview - "are you going to let your dog bite my baby?"
                    ...... Yes, yes I am. I'm gonna put that babies arm right in the dogs mouth after I cover it with peanut butter and grease so it's good and appetizing......... SMH!!

Comment

Originally posted by Controlled Chaos View Post
                      Oh, I'm sure I do! Like I said, I know they just don't know. It's just funny.

Comment

"Are you saying that would be a problem, dcm?"

Comment

:::::: Did you not want the baby to be bit??? That will cost extra

Comment

I can't even ... ::

Comment

We are no different than a school closing, what is the difference? Actually we close LESS! School closes for the whole summer....what do parents DO ???

Comment

Working...
                              X