DCF No Longer Wants Spot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DCF No Longer Wants Spot

My contract says that the deposit is non-refundable.

I have a deposit form that states that it is non-refundable.

I have been holding this spot since April for a September start and family has changed their mind and has asked for deposit to be returned. (two weeks of tuition. they have not been paying weekly fees of any proportion)

I am NOT returning it. I have turned multiple families away for this spot.

Please help me word a response to dcm.

I would give her a copy of the signed contract and let it go at that.

Comment

Boy I gotta wait for BC to help you on this one. My first thought was "YOU WANT WHAT?????"

Comment

Originally posted by Thriftylady View Post
        Boy I gotta wait for BC to help you on this one. My first thought was "YOU WANT WHAT?????"

Comment

dear dcf,

I am sorry to hear that you won't be able to join us come fall,however completely understand your need to cancel.

As you are aware, our agreement states that all holding fees are non-refundable. Please see attached agreement.

Thank you for your understanding and I wish you the best of luck in your search for care.

Comment

Originally posted by daycare View Post
            dear dcf,

I am sorry to hear that you won't be able to join us come fall,however completely understand your need to cancel.

As you are aware, our agreement states that all holding fees are non-refundable. Please see attached agreement.

Thank you for your understanding and I wish you the best of luck in your search for care.
            Perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by childcaremom View Post
              My contract says that the deposit is non-refundable.

I have a deposit form that states that it is non-refundable.

I have been holding this spot since April for a September start and family has changed their mind and has asked for deposit to be returned. (two weeks of tuition. they have not been paying weekly fees of any proportion)

I am NOT returning it. I have turned multiple families away for this spot.

Please help me word a response to dcm.
              Other than providing a copy of the agreement she signed for the deposit (highlighting the part that says it's non-refundable)

I would say something like

Dear DCM

I am sorry you are no longer interested in my program but as we discussed when the deposit was paid it is non-refundable and was used to "hold" your space.

While I understand that things change and plans go awry, I did hold the space for you as agreed upon.
              I am enclosing a copy of the contract you (and dad ?) signed, highlighting the portion that refers to the deposit being non-refundable.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to e-mail me.

Sincerely

Provider

Also, I would change your wording to holding fee for holding a spot and deposit for final two weeks of care

So in this family's situation you would have collected a holding fee (to hold the spot) at the time of signing and then collected a 2 week deposit on the first day of care.

The word deposit lends itself to being returnable so that is why so any families fight you on this.

IF you charge a holding fee verses a deposit to save the space parents are less likely to argue a refund since you did in fact hold the space...kwim?

Comment

I like bc's letter, as usual. I would change my wording as suggested, too.

I charge a registration fee, and then the first two weeks of care up front now. It is labeled as non refundable if the cancellation is given by the parent. I can get out of the contract by refunding the first two weeks of care (but not the registration fee).It also lists a start date, and they MUST begin paying tuition on that date. I have had a family with a Sept start date just up and decide to hold off until January (mom had a baby and took extended leave). I ended up releasing them from their contract and filling the space and issuing a full refund before I changed that bit.

I also probably would have filled the space anyway and decided which client I would like to keep before their estimated enrollment date. I'm actually doing this over summer with a child and a teacher family kid, the teacher family wants the space in Sept, but the kid is a handful.

Comment

Thank you.

I will change my wording. And also NOT holding a spot for free anymore.

At least I got a month's warning... September is always busy here and if you haven't filled the spots by the end of August that is usually it until January. Dcg will be spending the first year with her grandmother.

Comment

Working...
                  X