Guessing I was Dumped by DCP's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guessing I was Dumped by DCP's?

I have DCP's who signed a contract for 3 days a week but find excuses as to why their kid can not make it often. They have been here for going on 2 months and the entire time it has been a week off for vacation, moms sister having a baby so gone for that week, kid was sick so off for that week, and this past Friday she wanted to keep him home for a shot he received at his well-check. I did tell her that he is gone more times than not and that she was paying for a spot in addition to childcare services. I currently don't make anyone pay for missed days. Also that I usually shop for food for the week and that she needs to notify me a week in advance like noted in our contract. I told her that I couldn't refund her for Friday and hadn't gotten a chance to tell her I would credit her for today. This morning she no called and no showed and hasn't replied to my text. What the heck? Running a daycare is harder than I thought. What is going on? Should I just block her number?

Are you charging whether the child shows up or not? IMO if you charge for the 3 days, even if the child doesn't attend, they'll get better about bringing her regularly. And if not, who cares? You'll get paid anyway.

Comment

No I'm not charging and I think that's why she skips weeks and days. And she also wants me to keep it small but never shows.

Comment

Originally posted by Missqjulie View Post
        I have DCP's who signed a contract for 3 days a week but find excuses as to why their kid can not make it often. They have been here for going on 2 months and the entire time it has been a week off for vacation, moms sister having a baby so gone for that week, kid was sick so off for that week, and this past Friday she wanted to keep him home for a shot he received at his well-check. I did tell her that he is gone more times than not and that she was paying for a spot in addition to childcare services. I currently don't make anyone pay for missed days. Also that I usually shop for food for the week and that she needs to notify me a week in advance like noted in our contract. I told her that I couldn't refund her for Friday and hadn't gotten a chance to tell her I would credit her for today. This morning she no called and no showed and hasn't replied to my text. What the heck? Running a daycare is harder than I thought. What is going on? Should I just block her number?
        You will learn it doesn't pay to be nice by letting them only pay you when they come; I have a minimum 3 days week pay regardless if they show or not. I can only take 4 babies, so if all are gone one day where would that leave me? broke & unable to pay bills... the contract should specify that days reserved are paid for regardless of attendance otherwise you won't last long unless you get a lot of calls for last minute drop ins (which is what this family is essentially doing)

Comment

I would look for a replacement family and start charging for the spot regardless of attendance. I didn't used to either, but it will drive you crazy and you will never have a steady income. It is the industry standard to charge for the spot not just days they use it. I would also make current families switch. Type up a one page "Starting in August, tuition will be based on days reserved/contracted for regardless of actual attendance."

Comment

No I'm not charging and I think that's why she skips weeks and days. And she also wants me to keep it small but never shows.
            You are running a business... follow state law and take as many kids as is legal; it's not up to her what your policies are or how you do things and you will never please everyone, so you step up & do what's best for you & your family. My income is the only one here, so I can't afford to have open spaces

Comment

I feel so foolish. One mom who said she would go full time in less than a week when she first started (so I gave her a discount), is now saying she isn't planning to go full time till the end of summer. I'm typing up a notice today and I have already updated my new contracts for partial payment when they don't show up. I should just redo them to full pay for missed days.

Comment

Rates are based on enrollment not on attendance. or days used.

Doing it any other way will ALWAYS leave you short changed.

...and "she" wants to keep it small?
                It's YOUR business not hers. YOU call the shots not her.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post

I AGREE!!!! Take back your business!!

Comment

Well I can only have 4 kids here in addition to mine, so yea I have no clue why I wasn't honoring my own contracts. I have made a notice for July 1st, I will start billing based on contracts and not days attended.

Comment

Originally posted by Desi View Post
                      I AGREE!!!! Take back your business!!
                      Since she is no call no show this morning and hasn't bothered to return the text, should I just block her number? I'm a softy and just want to have no contact then.

Comment

Comment

Since she is no call no show this morning and hasn't bothered to return the text, should I just block her number? I'm a softy and just want to have no contact then.
                          You could but really what you should do is email her and tell her that your contact for services is terminated effective immediately and that you will no longer be available for services after today.

Then if she continues to call, text or e-mail you can ignore or block her.

I think a final termination notice is best business practice rather than just verbally calling it done ...kwim?

Comment

I wouldn't block her number. If she calls or texts, just say she didn't show up for care, so you terminated services with her family.

Comment

I can't tell you how many families I had do things like this before I switched to payment being due regardless of attendance. Somehow they always found a reason to keep them home, send them to a friend etc instead of here where they'd have to pay. It meant no reliable income and the kid being awful when they were here (pretty hard to adjust when your bounced around so much!) So yeah, never again As for blocking her number, nope, I would just refuse care if they call or show up. Just a simple "you were a no call/no show therefore, as per our contract care has been terminated."

Comment

Working...
                              X