Heartbreaking Story in My Home Town

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heartbreaking Story in My Home Town

The town I grew up in, which is about 20 minutes from where I live now, just had a situtation with a little 5 year old girl drowning at the local pool. It is a small pool with two lifeguards and there is a baby pool also. I used to swim in that pool all the time and up until this past year, we lived out on our farm, so we went in to this pool all the time. Gives me goosebumps just to think about it. Apparently, the little girl was with her daycare group and one of the life guards spotted her. They were able to revive her and she was flown to a larger hospital in our state. I have been following the GoFund me campaign someone started, because they post updates every now and again. The campaign has raised over 50K in just a few days. I think it raised 18K in just the first 12 hours or something. It is amazing how much support and love there is out there. Really hope this little girl can survive this and I feel so bad for her family and also all the people at the pool that day who experienced this tragedy. I am sure the daycare provider is devastated. So sad all around.

Certainly makes us all feel less invincible when a tragedy hits close to home. Even with all the safety we use and are trained for, anything can happen. My heart goes out to all that's been affected by this

Comment

Good job to the lifeguards. There's a place here locally that's like a mini Waterpark. I took a group there once and never will again. The lifeguards were talking to each other, walking away from their stations, texting, etc. I'm glad yours were on their toes. What state are you in? I want to look it up.

Comment

Lifeguards are there to socialize IME.

So the girl is alive?

Comment

She is alive, but in critical condition and on ventilation. There is limited info on the story so far, but here is a link to our local news story.

Comment

The lifeguards are generally high school students working on their tan, but that being said, they spotted her and got her out of the pool. I think the one thing that may have ended things differently was that their was a mom there who is a nurse and she was the one who gave cpr. Had that been left to the young life guards, it is hard to say if she would even be alive right now. I think everyone did the best they could and they were able to care flight her to a big hospital, so I am just crossing my fingers and praying for her to make it.

Comment

That is a sad story. I hope she'll be okay.

Comment

Originally posted by mommyneedsadayoff View Post
                The lifeguards are generally high school students working on their tan, but that being said, they spotted her and got her out of the pool. I think the one thing that may have ended things differently was that their was a mom there who is a nurse and she was the one who gave cpr. Had that been left to the young life guards, it is hard to say if she would even be alive right now. I think everyone did the best they could and they were able to care flight her to a big hospital, so I am just crossing my fingers and praying for her to make it.
                This is a sad story, but some of them do take it seriously. My DD is 16 and started lifeguarding last year at our church camp. She was told she was the only lifeguard they have ever seen use time out poolside. She gives one warning for stuff, she is on top of it . She has had to go into the pool a ton of times, sometimes I wonder if she needs to that much, but I'm not there. While I am sure some of them are just there to socialize, it isn't true of all of them. Also at least in our area there is a shortage. Our village pool was only able to get three lifeguards this year. It almost seems not as many kids want to do it anymore or something. All that being said, if I was someplace and saw them on their phones and such, I would have complained to management right away.

Comment

omg this made me cry my eyes out............. I almost drown as a child, not quite this bad, but this just sank my heart.

I hope the child is ok and bless the heart of the nurse who helped her and her DCP. I bet she/he must be feeling horrible

Comment

Oh absolutely! There are some amazing young life guards out there. MY sister was a lifeguard for many years and she was very serious about it. I think it depends on the pool, but most will weed out those just looking to sunbathe, because as this situation shows, it only takes a minute and you are dealing with life and death.

This story just won't leave my mind. It hits very close to home. I worry about the daycare provider too. I wish I had more details, but I can only imagine what she is going through as well right now.

Comment

This has alwys been a huge fear for me so I would never take daycare kids to a community pool. We have a pool in out condo community and I've never invited any of my daycare kids to it. I just wouldn't feel comfortable unless it was a 1 parent=1 child ratio. I just use my water table.

So sad for the family

Comment

I took the DC kids to the pool twice. They were all 3-5 yrs. I had six kids with me and wouldn't let them go into the water past their calves. It was so nerve rackng and I hated it. Never again. I've never been a big one for field trips in general.

I've never had a waiting pool for he DC kids. Always a sprinkler and water table.

Sure hope for the best for this girl!

Comment

That's so sad. I hope she recovers alright. How scary for all.

Comment

I found out that the little girl became an angel today I cannot even imagine what her family is going through. And the daycare provider who was caring for her that day too. So sad all around.

Comment

Update

The news just reported that the daycare lady is being charged with negligent homicide, neglect of a child, and operating a a childcare facility without a license. Yikes

Comment

Working...
                              X