Overly Sensitive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overly Sensitive?

I am really offended and want you all to tell me if I am being overly sensitive. I went to the barber shop to pay my fee for family fun night booth and the gal (co chair or whatever of village business association) gave me an answer I was floored by. I asked her how to join the business association, and she said "it is only for businesses around town not for daycares and such". I feel now like I should have said something, but I was floored. Am I wrong to feel offended?

Originally posted by Thriftylady View Post
    I am really offended and want you all to tell me if I am being overly sensitive. I went to the barber shop to pay my fee for family fun night booth and the gal (co chair or whatever of village business association) gave me an answer I was floored by. I asked her how to join the business association, and she said "it is only for businesses around town not for daycares and such". I feel now like I should have said something, but I was floored. Am I wrong to feel offended?
    I'd have asked her to elaborate on "daycares and such". What OTHER businesses are banned from the association other than daycares? Ask her if she is aware that you have a license, just like she does. Ask her if she's aware that you also support yourself with your business and pay taxes just like she does.

Are you wrong to feel offended? No. You were wrong to leave without telling her off!

EDIT: I really shouldn't be so judgemental of her attitude. Honestly, I don't consider cutting hair to be a "real" or "grown up" job, myself. I'm just as judgemental as she. If you really want into the association, I'd go to someone else involved and ask about joining. (and not be snotty about it like me!)

Comment

I would be. Are you a registered business? Maybe that's what she was referring to and it came out sounding snotty

Comment

No we don't have to register daycare here. Who knows.

Comment

What I mean is that when I had my business (in canada) I had to register with Joint Stocks and had a business number, etc. I don't have to do that with my daycare but am still a business.... just not registered.

So maybe that is what she meant?

I would still be upset, though, as we all know you ARE a business.

Comment

One of the downsides to providing day care is that we exist in the "no man's land" of business.
            The *only* time we are treated as a business is when we are being sued, need insurance or are dinged by licensing. Other than that we a "babysitter" and not a "real" business

Comment

I might write a letter to the business association explains exactly what a "real" day care is and why it should be considered a business. We pay taxes, make a profit, may have employees, etc. I think you can voice your issue in a professional way, and maybe make some changes.

Comment

In my county, licensed facilities have Business licenses. So if this had been said to me, I would have showed my Business license which cost me annually...based on my income!

Comment

Once someone made an offhand comment about mine not being a business. I said "I wish you would tell that to the IRS because they certainly consider me one."

In my case, I would have just cited that I am licensed and also have our city's Occupational License which we need to do childcare. Even if you are not required to have these things, I think I would go back to her and ask her where you can get 'in writing' what businesses are allowed to join. They should have some by laws or whatever for their association.

Laurel

Comment

U aren't overly sensitive. She could have been much nicer about it.

When I looked for outside jobs, no one would hire me because my childcare was not a "real" job. Um yes it was. I owned it, carried a license, did CEU's, paid taxes, did everything just like everyone else in a "real" job.

Luckily the company I am with now, LOVED the fact that I knew what it takes to run a business. I had an interview and was hired, and 3 years later, still here!

So, there are good reputable people that think your job is real (because it is) and then those snoots who don't

Comment

I would have been offended also, but probably wouldn't have said anything because I'm allergic to conflict.

Comment

Originally posted by Leigh View Post
                        I'd have asked her to elaborate on "daycares and such". What OTHER businesses are banned from the association other than daycares? Ask her if she is aware that you have a license, just like she does. Ask her if she's aware that you also support yourself with your business and pay taxes just like she does.

Are you wrong to feel offended? No. You were wrong to leave without telling her off!

EDIT: I really shouldn't be so judgemental of her attitude. Honestly, I don't consider cutting hair to be a "real" or "grown up" job, myself. I'm just as judgemental as she. If you really want into the association, I'd go to someone else involved and ask about joining. (and not be snotty about it like me!)
                        Really? Why is that? I know many people in that profession and they make an absolute fortune! Very skilled people with continuous ongoing education. My mother was actually a professional hair stylist for over 25 years and helped support our family.

Comment

Originally posted by NeedaVaca View Post
                          Really? Why is that? I know many people in that profession and they make an absolute fortune! Very skilled people with continuous ongoing education. My mother was actually a professional hair stylist for over 25 years and helped support our family.
                          I agree with this. It is just as much a service or job as running a daycare or managing a grocery store or anything else. People need their hair done, and someone has to do it. And it requires schooling, testing etc. DH has a friend who became a barber in the last couple of years. There are a ton of laws and such involved just like child care.

Comment

Originally posted by NeedaVaca View Post
                            I don't know why. I just have never really respected the career choice. Now,I LOVE my own stylist...I am not trying to put anyone down-I know that some can make great money doing it. I just actually never really respected the career, and I can't say why. When I hear "cosmetologist", I think of someone who didn't want a "real" job. Same as what some people hear when they hear that I have a daycare. Maybe it's because I have known so many cosmetologists who are just immature and irresponsible (because most of them are young-I know FEW who don't quit after a few years-it's HARD work). I KNOW that they all aren't. I have family members and 2 friends who do this. It's just a feeling I get when I hear their job. I'm not putting the career choice down (though I KNOW it looks that way when I type it), I'm just saying that my gut reaction is "not a real job". I apologize to anyone who I offended-I know that the men and women in that profession work hard, and that they are not all as I stereotype them (I swear, it's just a knee-jerk reaction when I hear the job title-I don't hate everyone in the field).

Comment

Is it because they went to a trade school instead of college? I can't say I don't have respect for someone because of their chosen profession, no matter what it is. There are tons of people who do "trade" jobs and we would be screwed without them. Brick masons, carpenters, mechanics, painters, housekeepers, etc, etc. .. maybe you're jaded from a bad experience? Is it just cosmetologists?

Comment

Working...
                              X