Waking Up From Naps Screaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waking Up From Naps Screaming

So dcb, 13 mos, has been here for almost 2 weeks.

He is a terror at nap time. He starts screaming as soon as we walk down the hall towards the pnp. He will wake up from nap and scream. Even if has slept for 3 hours. Never wakes up happy. If I go in, he gets worse but will stop immediately if I pick him up.

Dcm originally told me that he was an inconsistent sleeper. The other day she told me that she had sleep trained him but now he isn't sleeping. Now he sleeps like an angel.

Ugh. This is the unhappiest kid ever.

Here is s similar thread: https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35958

Comment

Welcome to my daily life with one of my 18 month olds. I'm terming at the end of the scho year. I can't wait to hear other suggestions! Nothing has worked for me thus far

Comment

Originally posted by AuntTami View Post
        Welcome to my daily life with one of my 18 month olds. I'm terming at the end of the scho year. I can't wait to hear other suggestions! Nothing has worked for me thus far
        Gah. I'm hoping he will adjust but until then...

I'm asking mom to get his ears checked for an infection. I can't figure out why he is so unhappy when he wakes up. And he screams going down, too. It's a nap! I would love a nap ::

If he is still here and still screaming by the end of the summer, he will be gone with his older sister who is leaving for school. If I last that long

Comment

Originally posted by childcaremom View Post
          Gah. I'm hoping he will adjust but until then...

I'm asking mom to get his ears checked for an infection. I can't figure out why he is so unhappy when he wakes up. And he screams going down, too. It's a nap! I would love a nap ::

If he is still here and still screaming by the end of the summer, he will be gone with his older sister who is leaving for school. If I last that long
          Have you considered a nap mat or cot?

I had a very similar situation and it turned out the child hated the PNP. They slept in one at home but apparently mine wasn't what worked (:confused so I moved them to a nap mat and now we are back to 3 hour naps and it's all good.

NO IDEA why.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post
            Have you considered a nap mat or cot?

I had a very similar situation and it turned out the child hated the PNP. They slept in one at home but apparently mine wasn't what worked (:confused so I moved them to a nap mat and now we are back to 3 hour naps and it's all good.

NO IDEA why.
            Hmm. Maybe I will try that if he doesn't settle down soon. Thanks!

Comment

Yup. In process of terming because I can't handle it. (difference is she doesn't really sleep and when she does its like 20 min but SCREAMS when she wakes up, screams louder when I go in then stops when I get her out

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                Yup. In process of terming because I can't handle it. (difference is she doesn't really sleep and when she does its like 20 min but SCREAMS when she wakes up, screams louder when I go in then stops when I get her out
                Well today he went down without screaming but only slept for 90 mins and then screamed for the remainder of rest period.

I am actively looking for a replacement.

Comment

How long is rest period? My 4-4yr olds sleep for 2.5-3 hours. That's why I can't handle the little one. She's AWFUL at sleeping and wakes them up before they're ready. HATE IT.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                    How long is rest period? My 4-4yr olds sleep for 2.5-3 hours. That's why I can't handle the little one. She's AWFUL at sleeping and wakes them up before they're ready. HATE IT.
                    3 hours. I would be happy with 2.5 hours.

Comment

So mom picked up and asked how his day was. I told her again he hardly slept and he screamed when he woke up.

She asks me why I think he does it.... um? I have no idea.

Then she says..... he is always cranky. And always cranky when he wakes up.

Um, what?

That star is on the calendar.

Comment

So mom picked up and asked how his day was. I told her again he hardly slept and he screamed when he woke up.

She asks me why I think he does it.... um? I have no idea.

Then she says..... he is always cranky. And always cranky when he wakes up.

Um, what?

That star is on the calendar.
                        Oh dear..... Wow.

I mentioned I was "trying to figure out a schedule" for my guy because I cannot figure him out! He's still tired when he wakes up but he won't go back to sleep UNLESS my DH is home and sits in the room with him!!!! Mom laughed at me and said "good luck, he doesn't have one"...... Guess that explains it. Star is on my calendar too!

Comment

Well yesterday was great. He went in without screaming, cried for a few and then fell asleep. Slept for 3 hours. Woke up and only screamed for 50% of the 15 mins I left him afterwards.

Took the star off.

Today he screamed for 10 mins before falling asleep. Woke up after 2 hours and has been screaming for the past 20 mins.

Put the star back.

Comment

Well yesterday was great. He went in without screaming, cried for a few and then fell asleep. Slept for 3 hours. Woke up and only screamed for 50% of the 15 mins I left him afterwards.

Took the star off.

Today he screamed for 10 mins before falling asleep. Woke up after 2 hours and has been screaming for the past 20 mins.

Put the star back.
                            I would leave it there at this point. The only reason I've kept my guy is because he has days like yours, where he's so easy it's unbelievable. But 75% of our days are miserable. Today is one of those days. He got put down 29 minutes ago and is still screaming. He's been hushed twice, the fan is on, music is playing in the other room, and I'm sitting outside the door. Any time now kid.

Comment

Working...
                            X