No announcement yet.

Nervous. Tell Me I Shouldn't Be!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When parents question my days off I just tell them that my time off is comparable to anyone who's been in the business for 20 years.

Granted, I haven't had THEM as a client for 20 years, but they are benefiting from my years of experience, without having to go through the first years' bumps and trial/error period.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post
      While I "kind of" understand this line of thinking; I don't understand this line of thinking... kwim?

How does a child's/family's absence have an impact on our lives? Other than the child being physically absent thus making our work load lighter...

I've read something similar twice yesterday and now today so I am just trying to grasp on this thought... not trying to be rude.... I just don't understand that idea/concept.

I'm thinking she's probably a provider who doesn't charge for vacations, that's all I can think of as to why/how a child's absence would have an impact.

OP, I always give families a list of my planned days off at the beginning of the year and parents have to sign that they have read and agree to it. That way, I know that they know of the days and it's not a "surprise". Of course, there will always be one family who forgets, but oh well.

I take 2 weeks of vacation a year, one paid one not, 8 holidays (including Christmas Eve and the day after Thanksgiving-paid, and 5 personal days (I'll use them the week of Christmas if I don't use them throughout the year-paid.

Don't feel bad taking time off!

Comment

I think at one point in time we have all felt like this in one situation or another but we need to remember that this is our business. We all have families that need our time and also we need time away in order to remain sane!

Enjoy your days! You deserve them!!

Comment

I just posted last month (and sent home in the newsletter) that I was taking a 4 day weekend in June and a week off in July. I have never taken vacation like this before. I was nervous, but no one said anything. Parents won't pay for those days, and I make it clear they need good back up before signing on, no one said anything. One mom, did ask "oooh! is this the Cali trip you have been wanting to take?!" Yes! Yes it is happyface I am so excited.

Comment

I did it! It's posted a sent a hand out with all the dates from May-September home for their fridge so there is no issues and no one "forgets" everyone seemed good! One dkm even said "don't you even worry you deserve your days off with your family you work so hard!" Made me feel so much better!! Bring on the summer!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
              I did it! It's posted a sent a hand out with all the dates from May-September home for their fridge so there is no issues and no one "forgets" everyone seemed good! One dkm even said "don't you even worry you deserve your days off with your family you work so hard!" Made me feel so much better!! Bring on the summer!!!
              happyface happyface happyface

That is awesome to hear!! See, we spend way too much time worrying about things we needn't worry about.

Glad it turned out so well for you!!

Comment

Originally posted by Martha Stewart View Post
                The number one regret I have had, as I close my business, is that I didn't take time for my own children, my own family, and myself. I took less than 5 vacation days a year (aside from the big holidays). I didn't take off for a 3 day weekend with my husband, I shorted vacations, I missed the first days of kindergarten, classroom parties, lazy days at the pool occasionally. I was
                always so worried that I'd lose business for taking vacation, a sick day or a personal day. I've neglected my dental care because it would be inconvenient to take a half day, ignored or postponed doctor appointments. In hindsight, I would tell you that my putting the daycare above myself, and not taking the time has in a very large way led to serious burn out. If I could go back, I'd take the same vacations my clients can take, I'd take the time and risk losing a client.
                ^^^^^This is exactly how I'm starting to feel 7 years in. Take the vacations!

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post
                  While I "kind of" understand this line of thinking; I don't understand this line of thinking... kwim?

How does a child's/family's absence have an impact on our lives? Other than the child being physically absent thus making our work load lighter...

My thinking when it comes to parents is that they do what's best for them without considering the provider, so why should the provider feel guilty for doing the same?

Some providers don't get paid while the kids are on scheduled vacation, the loss of income, is the impact I was referring to.

Comment

Originally posted by Gemma View Post
                    My thinking when it comes to parents is that they do what's best for them without considering the provider, so why should the provider feel guilty for doing the same?

Some providers don't get paid while the kids are on scheduled vacation, the loss of income, is the impact I was referring to.
                    Oh okay...gottcha.

I wasn't sure what you meant but yes, some providers don't get paid while on vacation. Now it makes sense as to where you were coming from.

I guess I never even venture into that realm of thinking. I just take my two weeks paid vacations and scheduled paid closed days and don't worry one bit what works or doesn't work for my parents.

They KNEW what they were signing on for when they enrolled so once they sign on the dotted line, I don't entertain any thing other than what we agreed upon.

I don't care if parents take a week's vacation every month.
                    Their fees here wouldn't change.

(^^ that is corner from which my perspective comes from)

Comment

Working...
                    X