Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why can't parents admit their kids are sick???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why can't parents admit their kids are sick???

Parents really crack me up....like what is the big deal if your kid is sick, why do you have to make up excuses of it just being teething or allergies??? No, your child who woke up with a 103 fever overnight is not "just teething", or your child who has snot rolling down their face and sneezing and coughing every 10 seconds doesn't have "just allergies", BTW that my baby and I have now picked up...thanks!!

Kids get sick, it's ok, admit it, don't try to beat around the bush, sometimes they need home and mom and dads loving care!!

I hate that!
    Or when they casually drop off and dart without much of a word, while there little one is obviously out of sorts.

I have one parent who does that and did it today in fact. Dropped her son off and he was absolutely miserable. Then while he stood there zombie-like for a minute staring off into space, his mom bolted. Of course he noticed a second later, started crying and finally just sat there, listless. Coughing up a lung too.

Gee, thanks.

Comment

Dealing with parents who refuse to admit illness is one of the hardest aspects of this job. Every winter it almost breaks me to the point that I want to close up shop.

Comment

I completely agree, very frustrating. Especially when the kid is okay at drop-off, a little groggy but no fever - - but then 2 hours later they spike a fever and are miserable! Do they really think that we won't know that they gave their child tylenol or motrin before daycare?? Seriously, they have to know when the meds wear off they will be getting a call from me, so why not just keep them home right from the start? Ugh. This happens a lot here

Comment

2 reasons:

1. They don't want to take time off work for a sick child. Either because they will take a chance on losing their job for taking off or because they want to keep their allowed days off work for vacation and fun only.

2. They don't want to have to deal with a sick, whiny, needy kid throwing up or having diarrhea all day. They don't want to hear the child whine and cry because they are sick and they don't want to have to clean up after them. They don't want to have to focus on and actually tend to their child's needs all day.

Comment

I had a dcm attempt to drop-off a double pink-eye case on Monday that was just "her eyes are a little goopy from being at her grandma's house Friday night, and they have a lot of pet dander..." She also handed me a crusty bottle of eye drops that expired in 2013. She refused to use the word, "pink-eye," so I just kept saying it. ("These pink-eye drops expired two years ago. She can't attend with untreated pink-eye...") Dcm ended up dropping her off at "dander grandma's" house, who took her to the doctor. Double pink-eye and a double ear infection. (Grrrrr!!!!! Poor kid.)

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
              I had a dcm attempt to drop-off a double pink-eye case on Monday that was just "her eyes are a little goopy from being at her grandma's house Friday night, and they have a lot of pet dander..." She also handed me a crusty bottle of eye drops that expired in 2013. She refused to use the word, "pink-eye," so I just kept saying it. ("These pink-eye drops expired two years ago. She can't attend with untreated pink-eye...") Dcm ended up dropping her off at "dander grandma's" house, who took her to the doctor. Double pink-eye and a double ear infection. (Grrrrr!!!!! Poor kid.)
              Wow! That's horrible!

Comment

I have heard parents (not dcps, parents i meet at parties or friends of friends) admit yo dosing their child up in the morning and dropping off at childcare fully knowing they will be caught but figured at least they can make a morning meeting or get some work done before the meds wear off and they get the call. I do think employers need to be more flexible with families but i also think parents need to prepare for back up.

Comment

Right? We had the stomach bug go through here.

One mom insisted dcg (3 years old by the way) had diarrhea and fever because she's teething. Umm, no the stomach bug is going around

Another mom of an 8 month old insisted her child was vomiting due to the yogurt he ate that morning. Umm, no. He's had yogurt before, the stomach bug is going around.

Another one said it must be something the child ate when the child had diarrhea. Um, no the stomach bug is going around.

And last night. Mom texts me at 9pm to find out what I fed infant that made him vomit all evening. Nothing he hasn't had before, nice try. The stomach bug is going around.

Seems like a huge coincidence that most of my dcks were sick, vomiting, diarrhea and fever while the stomach bug was going around...but none of them had the bug, it was other things

Really?? You don't think maybe they have the stomach bug since all of these things happened within 2 days of each other? And when I mentioned the bug they say "oh, I'm sure they all have it, but my child just has _____(teething, yogurt issues, etc) Some coincidence ::

People just admit it! Your kid is sick! I don't understand the excuses because regardless of the reason I do not accept the child in care

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                    "Dander grandma's" house :: love it!

Craftymom, we also had the stomach bug run through here a few weeks back. I heard many, many excuses! Fortunately, parents kept their kids home, but it does seem no one wants to admit what it is!

Comment

Me: Your son has running nose
                      Mom: Are some of the kids sick?
                      Me: no one else.

Comment

Working...
                      X