Hard Time Adjusting to Daycare Closing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard Time Adjusting to Daycare Closing

It has been a month since my heart attack,I am feeling sad about looseing dc children. I still check in every am to seee what you guys are up to.I know parents couldn't wait a month or two for me to be back on my feet. The amount of toys and equipment you accumulate over almost 30 yrs is over whelming. I am trying to at least move the stuff down to the DC playroom in basement so I am not tripping over stuff but its hard. I have visited one family so far and boy have the kids changed.The littlest had given up pacifier in Nov and when I came in there it was stuck in his mouth the entire visit.The 3.9 yr old started preschool and loves it.Parents were nice but as we know once they move on there gone. I still have to visit the others and I know it will be the same ,two families I have cared for their children 7 yrs but when its over its over. I am up for reliscencing in May and will not do it.As another poster said I am tired of the rules the state is imposing. Its just hard to fill your days with something after so long of having days filled with children I guess we have to be careful what we wish for. I am sure once the snow is gone and the initial shock of a surprize retirement sinks in things will be looking up.Hang in there spring has to come soon. Thanks for letting me vent,you guys know how it feels to care for little people 50 + hours a week and how attatched we get to some.Thanks Nan

Originally posted by rosieteddy View Post
    It has been a month since my heart attack,I am feeling sad about looseing dc children. I still check in every am to seee what you guys are up to.I know parents couldn't wait a month or two for me to be back on my feet. The amount of toys and equipment you accumulate over almost 30 yrs is over whelming. I am trying to at least move the stuff down to the DC playroom in basement so I am not tripping over stuff but its hard. I have visited one family so far and boy have the kids changed.The littlest had given up pacifier in Nov and when I came in there it was stuck in his mouth the entire visit.The 3.9 yr old started preschool and loves it.Parents were nice but as we know once they move on there gone. I still have to visit the others and I know it will be the same ,two families I have cared for their children 7 yrs but when its over its over. I am up for reliscencing in May and will not do it.As another poster said I am tired of the rules the state is imposing. Its just hard to fill your days with something after so long of having days filled with children I guess we have to be careful what we wish for. I am sure once the snow is gone and the initial shock of a surprize retirement sinks in things will be looking up.Hang in there spring has to come soon. Thanks for letting me vent,you guys know how it feels to care for little people 50 + hours a week and how attatched we get to some.Thanks Nan
    :hug::hug::hug:
    You need to find something fulfilling to do with your time!...about gardening, or get together with friends and do crafts?

Comment

Could you maybe borrow a dck here or there, on a weekend for a couple hours? Or something like that? It'd be a treat for them and you'd be able to see them again.

Comment

I'm sorry it has been hard on you. Come here as much as you want, I for one am always open to ideas and opinions from those who have done it longer than I! You are still a provider at heart! Is it at all possible you will be able to open again eventually?

Comment

Originally posted by Josiegirl View Post
          Could you maybe borrow a dck here or there, on a weekend for a couple hours? Or something like that? It'd be a treat for them and you'd be able to see them again.
          Great idea!...you can borrow a couple of mine!::

Comment

It must be so hard!

Just an idea, but could you volunteer at a local center? Maybe you could read to the kids, or do a craft hour once a week or something?
            I know when I worked in an elementary school, we were always looking for "mystery readers"- maybe you could check around schools- maybe some of your former dc kids would love to have you surprise them at school as a reader?

It's true that you will be feeling better once the warm weather comes. :hug:

Comment

Could you volunteer at the local elementary school? At ours we have volunteers come in to read to the children or do projects with them. It is very rewarding and the children love the attention.

Comment

Originally posted by hope View Post
                Could you volunteer at the local elementary school? At ours we have volunteers come in to read to the children or do projects with them. It is very rewarding and the children love the attention.
                Or at your local library. Ours is always trying to do things with the preschool and elementary group to get them in to learn to love reading.

Comment

I think that your reaction sounds perfectly normal since you didn't have a natural transition. You could volunteer at various children's organizations. (My mom is retired and volunteers at the hospital; rocking babies in the ICU since families can't always be there 24/7.) In my area, there's a market for care for SAHMS, who need a couple hours for appointments or errands; nothing permanent, just a couple hours here and there. Hope that helps a little...

Comment

:hug: Its got to be bittersweet. Almost like when our own children grow up and move out. Are there any hobbies you enjoy? Maybe you could join a book club or other group.

Comment

All great ideas thank you.I am planning on joining WW next week.I really need to loose weight and exercise some for my heart. I also thought about being a liscenced assistant for some of my DC Friends(though not sure I want to do that).It can be hard just filling in after being the boss for so long.I would love to be a baby rocker and will look into that. You never know what the future will bring and I hope to spend some time with my Grandsons.

Comment

I'm sure it must be hard since it was so unexpected! If you were planning to retire you would have worked up to it. This was so cut and dry out of the blue.

I was going to suggest being an assistant. I know I myself would prefer an assistant who already has experience

Comment

Working...
                        X