Any Ideas: Not Eating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Ideas: Not Eating

We have 3 toddlers that refuse to eat lunch but want snacks. The lunches that are given they have had before and love it but here lately they don't want any of it. But they know where we keep the snack they stand there and keep asking for snacks. But we don't give them the snack. When it is snack time after they wake up we give them their lunches that they did not eat They just sit there and look at it. After snack time we clean up and they are standing by the snacks asking for it. We don't give in. Any suggestions or anything we may try different?

how close are your meal times...

Comment

Keep on, they will get it eventually.

Comment

One comes in at 7:45 and sometimes has breakfast with him other times has already ate. Another one comes in any where between 8-9 and always brings breakfast BUT we limit what we give him of that because we do lunch at 11:30 and the other one comes in at 10 and has usually eaten. The two last ones I told you about is doing the same with their meals at home that they eat.

Comment

Originally posted by KayB View Post
          One comes in at 7:45 and sometimes has breakfast with him other times has already ate. Another one comes in any where between 8-9 and always brings breakfast BUT we limit what we give him of that because we do lunch at 11:30 and the other one comes in at 10 and has usually eaten. The two last ones I told you about is doing the same with their meals at home that they eat.
          I wish I had some suggestions for you..

I find that the only thing that works when working with kids is consistency.

I have set meal times. If you are here in the morning, you will sit and eat. If you don't want to eat, you will still sit at the table, but all of my kids are here for the purpose of eating breakfast.

every day my meals are served at the same time day in and out. breakfast, am snack, lunch, pm snack

I don't offer any sugar or salty processed foods, so the kids learn to eat what they get. They hate my food when they start and love it soon enough.

I would maybe find a way to have set meal times for everyone and no junk food.

if you serve hummus and carrots for snack, i bet you will be seeing kids devour their tuna sandwich at lunch, learn to like healthy food and then will eat at all meals.

Comment

You could always offer 1/2 of a serving of each component until they start eating again.

Comment

It's very simple: get RID of the "snack foods".

They are standing there staring at the snack cabinet, knowing what's in there. So, fill it with fresh fruit, veggies, unsweetened applesauce, etc. They can't bed for what's not there.

Have you tried a picture schedule? Then, when they stand their begging, show them on the pictures what they SHOULD be doing now, and when the next meal is.

Comment

I am sorry I need to clarify when I say they stand where we keep our snacks it is stocked with healthy snacks. It is next to the fridge where we keep the cold healthy snacks.

Comment

I'd switch up the schedule. I would eliminate snacks and just do meals 3-4 hours apart.

Comment

My attitude is "not my problem". Serve snack and lunch and leave it up to them what they want to eat. It's not your problem. At the same time hopefully you are feeding them healthful things at each sitting so they are getting a balanced diet no matter when they choose to eat. Today my DCK ate a whole muffin, barely ate lunch but then drank a healthy fruit smoothie with protein and fish oil mixed in. He gets to choose when and how much he wants to eat, and I choose what to serve.

Comment

Originally posted by Ariana View Post
                      My attitude is "not my problem". Serve snack and lunch and leave it up to them what they want to eat. It's not your problem. At the same time hopefully you are feeding them healthful things at each sitting so they are getting a balanced diet no matter when they choose to eat. Today my DCK ate a whole muffin, barely ate lunch but then drank a healthy fruit smoothie with protein and fish oil mixed in. He gets to choose when and how much he wants to eat, and I choose what to serve.

Comment

Originally posted by Ariana View Post
                        Yep! I'm with Heidi!

I offer food. My job is done. They can eat or not eat.

Comment

Originally posted by Meeko View Post
                          Yep! I'm with Heidi!

I offer food. My job is done. They can eat or not eat.
                          Me too.

Can you block off the area so they can't get near where the snacks are stored?

Or try "We had snack after nap, and now it's play time" 1-2 times, then ignore them. As long as they're not disturbing anyone they're only "hurting" themselves by standing there doing nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Heidi View Post
                            It's very simple: get RID of the "snack foods".

Comment

Can you move the snack food drawer or cupboard? Then after opening it enough times and saying all gone, maybe they'll stop. Otherwise, just stay consistent. They'll learn after awhile.

Comment

Working...
                              X