Toddler Will Not Eat In A High Chair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toddler Will Not Eat In A High Chair

I started a 14m DCG last week. At meal times I sit her in a high chair next to us and she just screams. She will not eat her food and it ends up all over the floor at every meal time. She has grabbed things off the table and will walk around and eat them though, however, I do not allow this in my daycare. I feel bad taking the food away from her, but that is one of my rules here that children must be seated in the eating area to eat or drink any beverage other than water. DCM has given her snacks and sippy cups of juice at drop off in the playarea a couple of times, and it's become clear that this is how she eats at home. Any suggestions on getting DCG to eat in a high chair?

Where do the rest of the children eat?

Mine are currently in booster seats at an adult table (I don't have room for a child-sized one).

I don't know why you should feel "bad". She sits and eats, or she doesn't eat. It's not that complicated. She's perfectly capable of learning that. Just be consistent and she'll get it.

Seat everyone else. Ask her if she wants to eat. If she indicates yes, open up her highchair and invite her to sit. If she tries to take food from others, move her away, sit her down on the floor, and say "If you want to eat, then you need to sit in your chair". rinse and repeat, until she caves.

The Helen Keller act will simply not do!

Comment

I have a preschool table and chairs set with 2 highchairs seated at the end. All children sit and eat together at the same time in our eating area (which is just off of our playarea) I have just never experienced a toddler just flat out not wanting to eat because they are in a highchair before, but this is also her first time in daycare, so there is a lot of rules she is having to get use to.

Comment

oh, in that case, I'd have her sit in a preschool chair. The rule is, you sit to eat. She might like being a "big kid".

Comment

Originally posted by Heidi View Post
          oh, in that case, I'd have her sit in a preschool chair. The rule is, you sit to eat. She might like being a "big kid".
          I've tried that too...she won't stay seated She doesn't like being contained in anything...she wants free range. She screams during nap because she is in a crib, she screams when I put the gate up keeping her away from the stairs, she doesn't even like sitting down during story time...I fear this one will take a while to get used to daycare

Comment

Sounds like a stinker...

I'd go with the big kid chair, and no food unless sitting. "we sit when we eat".

Sounds like she's going to make life difficult for a while.

Comment

Consistency is all you do. Don't react to the screaming other than the logical consequences the pps suggested.

Comment

My husbands family is Asian and none of their kids sit at the table to eat. The parents or grandparents chase them around and feed them.

They tried to do this with my son and I flipped out.

Any chance this is happening at home

Comment

Just keep sitting her back down (I would try the preschool chair if she is big enough). I would also talk to mom and let her know the problems (eating & nap time) and make sure she knows that the transition to daycare will go a lot smoother if she starts to implement these things at home. (hint hint mom - don't chase her around with her food!!!).

Comment

Does she go without eating?

Comment

Stay consistant in making her eat in a chair and talk with the parents about it. Let them know your having trouble with her eating in a chair and see if they can work with her on it at home too

Comment

Originally posted by daycare View Post
                        My husbands family is Asian and none of their kids sit at the table to eat. The parents or grandparents chase them around and feed them.

They tried to do this with my son and I flipped out.

Any chance this is happening at home
                        I have in laws who do this. Drives me nuts. They always make excuses why their kids won't eat at the table and mine will. "Well our was a premie and yours weren't..." ummm he is 3.5 now

Comment

Working...
                        X