Do You Help Children Wipe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do You Help Children Wipe?

I've never really thought about this, but does everyone help children wipe after they use the restroom? Usually I only have when potty training and they get it figured out, or the occasional yell from the restroom, "I went poop! I need help please!" from my preschoolers. I have an almost 4yo DCG whose mother is upset with me because I don't check her bottom each time she goes potty, and she's leaving skidmarks on her underwear. She's been PT for 2 years now, but isn't a good wiper. I have 7 other children in my care and can't accompany her to the restroom everytime she goes. The restroom is in the daycare area, but I make them close the door when they use it for privacy. What would you do?

I do not help wipe unless a child asks for help and I do not check every child after they poop . Even with my own kids I helped only when they asked . This of course is for kids who are potty trained and not in the learning stages.

Comment

I do not help at 4, but I will check their work *if* they ask and let them know if *they* need to wipe more.
      My best friend in the whole world is a Kindergarten teacher. Every year she has a couple of kids crying in the bathroom because they pooped and have no idea how to wipe their bottoms I would hate for that to happen to one of my kiddos Wiping is like any other skill, it requires work for mastery.

*My answer applies to kids who have already mastered potty training basics. With littles who are just learning, I do assist if necessary.
      But I also want to point out that expecting children to work on developmentally appropriate skill is not "mean" or somehow mean I'm not doing my job. As I know this sentiment usually comes up at some point in these types of threads...

Comment

Wiping is a skill like everything else we teach them. Put on their own coats, their own shoes, put away toys, eat with a spoon and fork, wipe their butt. By the summer before kindergarten I will NOT help in the bathroom and for the 6 months before that I work hard at getting kids wiping themselves adequately.

And When it comes down to that last few months if it's still a problem but I'm NOT wiping a 5 year old I have worked with for months, I have had parents who tell me I need to remember to help the child wipe and I have flat out said "I'm sorry but in kindergarten no one will help him wipe; he NEEDS to do it himself." much to the consternation of the mother. It mysteriously wasn't a problem after that...
        Hee hee! Look, I have a signature!

Comment

I help more with the beginners - 3yr olds, and talk them through the process to learn themselves. Then I double check, with a final wipe by myself, until they get the hang of it.
          Even the 3yr olds that are eager to do it all by themselves get a final wipe by me.
          I feel it's all part of the learning process of how much toilet paper to use, how to wad up the toilet paper best, which way to wipe, amount of wiping needed, how to tell when your done.
          The kids will usually show me how their parents are teaching them, and I mimic that learning style and sometimes tweak it for them.
          By the time they are 4yrs, they pretty much have it down pat.

Comment

yes, it's a learned skill and they will need to learn how to do it. However, i ask they try first always and then I will assist them if still needed.

I do tell parents that about 3 months before graduating out of my program I will no longer assist them, they need to have that down before kinder.

Depending on the age of the child when they finally PT I normally don't assit kids past the age of 4 unless they ask me to help them. Then I glove up and help out...

sucks, but it's part of our job so I think

Comment

Originally posted by KiddieCahoots View Post
              I help more with the beginners - 3yr olds, and talk them through the process to learn themselves. Then I double check, with a final wipe by myself, until they get the hang of it.
              Even the 3yr olds that are eager to do it all by themselves get a final wipe by me.
              I feel it's all part of the learning process of how much toilet paper to use, how to wad up the toilet paper best, which way to wipe, amount of wiping needed, how to tell when your done.
              The kids will usually show me how their parents are teaching them, and I mimic that learning style and sometimes tweak it for them.
              By the time they are 4yrs, they pretty much have it down pat.
              This is how I teach it as well, right along with potty training. It's a self help skill, it needs to be taught and right along with potty training, too. After that, they only ask if they really need help. I will not help after they turn 5. They are considered SA by then in my program, and that's not a service I offer to SA clients.

Comment

My sons pediatrician told me that most kids can not effectively wipe until they are 4 years old. So I encourage them to try then I do a final wipe.

Comment

Working...
                X