Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I Need It By The End Of The Day Today.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    If you put that info on a spreadsheet instead of on paper, you could have it total automatically. And be ready for printing out. No end of year work whatsoever.
    MMK does it too but you still have to enter the info.

That's where MY lack of preparedness comes from.

MMK works MUCH better than any spread sheet as it totals it too...but you have to enter it.

I prioritize my day and spend most of it with the kids and not entering numbers/amounts so that is always left til last and once I am done working for the day, it's not a priority then either so I get it done when I HAVE to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by jenboo View Post
      Question. I don't understand why some of you won't give the year totals to parents until you are done with your taxes or until Feb, march or whenever.
      If you record the payments throughout the year, is it really hard to spend 5 min the first week of January to copy it over into another paper for the parents?
      Am I missing something?
      I'm not trying to be rude, just trying to understand.
      I guess it must be how people are doing their record keeping. I use a book called Forms Facts and Figure and each month I take my monthly info and transfer it to the back of the book. This includes everything, income, expenses, food program. At any point during the year, I can tell you what every number is. It's a great and simple book if any of you have used it. There's a spot in the back to log what each parent has paid you per month, so to figure something like this would literally take 2 minutes.

Comment

I have my own program on a spreadsheet. Takes less time to enter than to write it down.
        No time for doing totals at all, that is automatic. It totals however I want it. By deposit, by week, by family, by year, or whatever. Prints personalized receipts. Prints tax info.
        I spend my time with my kids too

Comment

I have my own program on a spreadsheet. Takes less time to enter than to write it down.
          No time for doing totals at all, that is automatic. It totals however I want it. By deposit, by week, by family, by year, or whatever. Prints personalized receipts. Prints tax info.
          I spend my time with my kids too
          Is this an actual program or did you create something in excel

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post
            MMK does it too but you still have to enter the info.

That's where MY lack of preparedness comes from.

MMK works MUCH better than any spread sheet as it totals it too...but you have to enter it.

I prioritize my day and spend most of it with the kids and not entering numbers/amounts so that is always left til last and once I am done working for the day, it's not a priority then either so I get it done when I HAVE to do it.
            Makes sense. I have a binder with the families payment records in it. I pull the binder out on Fridays and when a parent hands me a check, I record it real quick so that I don't forget.

It's always interesting to see how people do things differently. One thing that is easy for one person is a nucense for another.

I prefer paper because we have one laptop and idk if dh will be using it or not. I also don't have to worry about charging it.

Comment

Is this an actual program or did you create something in excel
              Tech high school kid made it in excel. One for income. Separate one for expenses.
              I record two things: 1. Date. 2. Amount. The program does the rest.
              It's really quite basic. The income program totals both across and down.
              Across gives a weekly total. Down gives a family total. The total at the bottom and the total to the right are the current YTD totals.
              The basic formula for totaling each family is this: =SUM(C3:C56)
              That gives a total of numbers entered in all cells in column C, from row 3 to row 56. (53 weeks, for the rare year that has 53 paydays.) Just input the column letter and row number that you assign to each family.
              Then for the weekly total, the example would be: =SUM(C3:P3)
              That gives a total of numbers entered in all cells in row 3, from column C to column P.

I've added to the program as I've played with it and figured out parts of Excel. For example, sometimes I receive two payments from one family in one week, so I made a section that totals two payments and then enters it to the proper weekly and family cells.
              But the most basic function is what is above, and it's really simple if you want to try it.

The expense spreadsheet is even more simple in its basic form. Simply total down, so:
              =SUM(C5:C105) for each of your categories.
              To make a "print list" for your taxes, go off to the right side past your category columns and make a section that says: =C107 which simply takes whatever number is in cell C107 and places it in the print list. Do this for each category, and you have a list to print for your tax prep.
              I have made mine more useful by having tabs for: Time Space Items, Business Only Items, Personal Items, Taxes & Insurance, etc. This allows me to track all of my budget, both personal and business. But again, the most basic form (described above) does the most useful part.

If I can do it you can do it. I am not a computer whiz. Just a daycare provider.

Comment

Tech high school kid made it in excel. One for income. Separate one for expenses.
                Across gives a weekly total. Down gives a family total. The total at the bottom and the total to the right are the current YTD totals.
                That gives a total of numbers entered in all cells in column C, from row 3 to row 56. (53 weeks, for the rare year that has 53 paydays.) Just input the column letter and row number that you assign to each family.
                That gives a total of numbers entered in all cells in row 3, from column C to column P.

I've added to the program as I've played with it and figured out parts of Excel. For example, sometimes I receive two payments from one family in one week, so I made a section that totals two payments and then enters it to the proper weekly and family cells.
                But the most basic function is what is above, and it's really simple if you want to try it.

The expense spreadsheet is even more simple in its basic form. Simply total down, so:
                To make a "print list" for your taxes, go off to the right side past your category columns and make a section that says: =C107 which simply takes whatever number is in cell C107 and places it in the print list. Do this for each category, and you have a list to print for your tax prep.
                I have made mine more useful by having tabs for: Time Space Items, Business Only Items, Personal Items, Taxes & Insurance, etc. This allows me to track all of my budget, both personal and business. But again, the most basic form (described above) does the most useful part.

If I can do it you can do it. I am not a computer whiz. Just a daycare provider.
                Um, yeah.... that read like secret code to me. :confused:

I didn't understand any of that...

I still add using a Playskool calculator that has sound effects. I think my son got it for Christmas in 1994.

Seriously though I don't really think it takes that much time to give a parent the year end total but like I said, I have to actually enter the info and regardless of how easy it is to do it, I just don't always do it and once you forget once or twice, it becomes pretty easy to "just figure it out tomorrow".

In other words, I am a procrastinator in certain areas and haven't yet figured out how not to be.

fwiw~I wasn't implying that you didn't spend time with your dcks....I meant I would rather play.......because I am a procrastinator in certain areas and haven't yet figured out how not to be.

Comment

Another reason I LOVE e-pay through Minute Menu! I don't have to enter ANYTHING!!

I too am a giant procrastinator at things like this and will wait until the last minute of the last day if I could.

But now using epay and MM...Invoices are sent automatically. Parents pay and the payment is recorded automatically. Then I just print their W-10, which I just realized MM fills in for me too! All I do is print!

MM also lets me print out an itemized statement showing the date and amount of each payment.

Parents can also print their own receipts at anytime.

My work in this area is very minimal.

This is the first full year I've used epay and I wish I did it sooner! Last year was part epay part cash or check (before I started using epay) so it was more complicated.

The $1 fee is the best money I've spent on daycare so far!

Comment

Thanks! I understand it but would have to mess around in excel to make sure im doing it right.

Comment

Thanks! I understand it but would have to mess around in excel to make sure im doing it right.
                      You could set up a few columns and rows and the formulas and then test it by putting in simple numbers like 100, 200, 300, 400, 500 to represent the payments by each family. Then check the totals to be sure you set it up right. It would be clear which one wasn't done right, by what the total is. Hope that makes sense.

Comment

I have mine done this way in excel for my expenses. I don't enter them in mmk because it takes too long. Plus I don't need it broken down by individual section like mmk either

Gosh my phone keeps changing all my words. Lol I hope this makes sense.

Comment

If you put that info on a spreadsheet instead of on paper, you could have it total automatically. And be ready for printing out. No end of year work whatsoever.
                          I use a spread sheet too. Very easy to print out the end of the year receipt. Mine are even itemized so they see the date, check number and amount paid for each month (I am paid monthly). With a yearly total at the bottom.

Comment

There is something in the Tax section and Tom's articles about how we don't actually HAVE to provide any info to parents unless they hand us a certain tax form to fill out AND even that is just with our EIN number, you do not HAVE to give them an amount on there.

BUT of course to make sure they report the correct amount it is recommended to give them something. I give out a statement of all their payments for the year (an excel spreadsheet I made years ago that I update every few weeks all year long) and have them sign and return one copy to me. I follow the deadline for w2's which is actually February 2nd this year (its usually around 1/31 but this year that is a Sat so its the Monday). If I can get it to them earlier I will but I don't feel like I have to.

Comment

Originally posted by CraftyMom View Post
                              Another reason I LOVE e-pay through Minute Menu! I don't have to enter ANYTHING!!

I too am a giant procrastinator at things like this and will wait until the last minute of the last day if I could.

But now using epay and MM...Invoices are sent automatically. Parents pay and the payment is recorded automatically. Then I just print their W-10, which I just realized MM fills in for me too! All I do is print!

MM also lets me print out an itemized statement showing the date and amount of each payment.

Parents can also print their own receipts at anytime.

My work in this area is very minimal.

This is the first full year I've used epay and I wish I did it sooner! Last year was part epay part cash or check (before I started using epay) so it was more complicated.

The $1 fee is the best money I've spent on daycare so far!
                              Same here happyface (minus the procrastinator part )

I don't even do invoices anymore. I set everyone up for autopay, do the initial login before the parent signs on, and let it keep all the records (no $1 fee if they don't pay online and the program still does all the work).

When they don't approve the online payment (or ever even log in the first time) it will simply roll over to "unpaid invoices" for me to fill in cash payments. Easy peasy and all invoice numbers stay in order.

Now, if a client pays some online and some in cash (which almost all end up doing sometimes) they will have two W-10's for me to print, sign in blue ink and give them. Still simple enough...

I also like to give them the "total hours in care" printout when I give them their year end total. It stops the whole "daycare is so expensive" conversation right in it's tracks. :::: Game. Set. Match.
                              - Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Cat Herder View Post
                                Same here happyface (minus the procrastinator part )

I don't even do invoices anymore. I set everyone up for autopay, do the initial login before the parent signs on, and let it keep all the records (no $1 fee if they don't pay online and the program still does all the work).

When they don't approve the online payment (or ever even log in the first time) it will simply roll over to "unpaid invoices" for me to fill in cash payments. Easy peasy and all invoice numbers stay in order.

Now, if a client pays some online and some in cash (which almost all end up doing sometimes) they will have two W-10's for me to print, sign in blue ink and give them. Still simple enough...

I also like to give them the "total hours in care" printout when I give them their year end total. It stops the whole "daycare is so expensive" conversation right in it's tracks. :::: Game. Set. Match.
                                I LOVE that everything is automatic! I don't do anything except check to be sure the payments are made. Only one of my parents did not select auto pay, so it's easier for parents too bc the payment is made automatically. The other parent still pays online but does it manually each week.

I love the idea of the total hours in care...I should print that too

Comment

Working...
                                X