Swaddling 8 Month Old

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swaddling 8 Month Old

I have a dcb that is rather difficult. When he goes to take his nap, he will not go to sleep unless I swaddle him. I don't know what it is because they do not swaddle him at home. At least they say they don't. I keep trying to lay him down even with a loose loose swaddle and he screams. I've never had a child this age that needed to be swaddled. Any advice?

Have you tried a sleep sack?

I have an older infant who was startling himself awake and found the sleep sack to be helpful.

Comment

When you say "screams", how long is that?

A lot of 8 month olds protest nap. As long as they are not crying for long periods, I'd say night night and go. If it goes on for more than 10 minutes, I'd go back in, lay him down, say night night again, and go. Then, I'd wait 15.

He's not a newborn. It's perfectly ok for him to learn to go to sleep despite his own opinion on it the matter.

It's really not safe to swaddle him at this age. The only other option might be a sleep sack. Or, you can start by leaving one arm out of the swaddle for a week, then go to both arms out, then go to tucking the blanket around the playpen edges and securing him.

Comment

Originally posted by Heidi View Post
        When you say "screams", how long is that?

A lot of 8 month olds protest nap. As long as they are not crying for long periods, I'd say night night and go. If it goes on for more than 10 minutes, I'd go back in, lay him down, say night night again, and go. Then, I'd wait 15.

He's not a newborn. It's perfectly ok for him to learn to go to sleep despite his own opinion on it the matter.

It's really not safe to swaddle him at this age. The only other option might be a sleep sack. Or, you can start by leaving one arm out of the swaddle for a week, then go to both arms out, then go to tucking the blanket around the playpen edges and securing him.
        The state will not allow us to use swaddlers at any age....only one receiving blanket is allowed in the pnp and we can only cover the child up to their nipples....the first thing licensing does upon entrance is look in the pnp...regulations regarding infants are stiff here...

Comment

I have not tried the sleep sack. I'll have to do that. I've tried doing the deal where I go in and try to get him to put his head back down. I gently lay his head down and pat his back and his head comes instantly up and he screams and cries and does not stop. This goes on until he's so worked up he won't go back to sleep and noone else will either. The instant I swaddle him, he goes right to sleep.

Comment

Originally posted by Annalee View Post
            The state will not allow us to use swaddlers at any age....only one receiving blanket is allowed in the pnp and we can only cover the child up to their nipples....the first thing licensing does upon entrance is look in the pnp...regulations regarding infants are stiff here...
            yeah...WI allows swaddling, a sleep sack, or the blanket tucked around the crib edges up to the nipples. happyface

Comment

Originally posted by Heidi View Post
              yeah...WI allows swaddling, a sleep sack, or the blanket tucked around the crib edges up to the nipples. happyface
              I wish they would loosen up on us but not happening!!!

Comment

Originally posted by lovemykidstoo View Post
                I have not tried the sleep sack. I'll have to do that. I've tried doing the deal where I go in and try to get him to put his head back down. I gently lay his head down and pat his back and his head comes instantly up and he screams and cries and does not stop. This goes on until he's so worked up he won't go back to sleep and noone else will either. The instant I swaddle him, he goes right to sleep.
                You are describing a 7 month dcb now in my care. I've been doing the same as you and don't have any suggestions, but was just wondering if your dcb is breastfed to sleep too?

Comment

Originally posted by KiddieCahoots View Post
                  You are describing a 7 month dcb now in my care. I've been doing the same as you and don't have any suggestions, but was just wondering if your dcb is breastfed to sleep too?
                  No, he's always been formula fed. I'll feed him and give him a bottle before bed and he'll be flat out asleep and I put him down and he immediately wakes up. Actually before he even gets laid down. I start to bend over to lay him down and his eyes pop open and he screams. Drives me nuts!

Comment

Personally I would do whatever works! They obviously must do it at home.

Comment

Maybe they don't swaddle at home, but if they hold him while he's sleeping, he probably likes the swaddle for that reason.

Comment

Working...
                      X