Dress Code Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dress Code Question

I encountered something this morning that I haven't seen before. One of my kids showed up wearing the new shirt he got for xmas. It's a shirt bearing the logo of a rock band. There's nothing inherintly wrong with the shirt. There's not profanity but I'm familiar enough with the band to know that it's not something an almost-two-year-old should be exposed to. It makes me uncomfortable because I'm not sure what other parents are going to say. Am I really gonna have to add a caveat to my dress code that bans this kind of thing?

No just turn the shirt inside out and make the child wear it that way until close to pick up time then just turn the shirt the right way right before his parents pick him up. Easy fix!

Comment

The other kids obviously don't know what you do about the band. I wouldn't worry about it. What band's logo would be so offensive, anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by Leigh View Post
        The other kids obviously don't know what you do about the band. I wouldn't worry about it. What band's logo would be so offensive, anyway?
        Sorry. This is going to be short. Trying to get everyone down for a nap.

The band is called Slipknot. The shirt isn't bad, but the band itself is one of those bands that don't sing so much as scream about the devil. I'm more worried about other parents than the kids.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
          Sorry. This is going to be short. Trying to get everyone down for a nap.

The band is called Slipknot. The shirt isn't bad, but the band itself is one of those bands that don't sing so much as scream about the devil. I'm more worried about other parents than the kids.
          I hate Slipknot, too. I doubt that parents would freak out over just a logo, but if there are photos of the band or anything like that, I would ask the parents not to send the shirt to daycare anymore. I could see photos of that band freaking a kid out!

Comment

I hate Slipknot, too. I doubt that parents would freak out over just a logo, but if there are photos of the band or anything like that, I would ask the parents not to send the shirt to daycare anymore. I could see photos of that band freaking a kid out!
            Oh. Dear. God.

I didn't know what they looked like, so I had to google them. That can't be unseen.

Comment

I wouldn't worry about it either. Most of the parents probably wouldn't even pay attention anyway and the kids have no clue most likely.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                Oh. Dear. God.

I didn't know what they looked like, so I had to google them. That can't be unseen.
                :: Pretty over-the-top, aren't they? I wouldn't be concerned about a shirt with just their name, but I honestly could see the shirt causing nightmares in some kids if their picture was on it!

Comment

I would just play dumb if any of the parents questioned it. THen I would probably change the kids shirt, turn it inside out and then the parents know that they can't wear that to DC anymore.

Comment

I wouldn't worry about it. Unless the graphic on the T shirt was actually frightening or bothersome. My DH's friends think its hilarious to get their friends' babies onsies and shirts with their favorite bands on it. If other parents know the band they are free to laugh or role their eyes. I have turned a toddlers zombie shirt inside out before and told the parents it was too scary for the little ones. They didn't send the child in that shirt again.

Comment

Slipknot? How old is this kid?

I wouldn't be too worried about it if it's just the band's name, but don't be surprised if a parent that knows who they are says something. If they do, they you can ask DCP to not have them wear it to your house again.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveArmour View Post
                        Slipknot? How old is this kid?

I wouldn't be too worried about it if it's just the band's name, but don't be surprised if a parent that knows who they are says something. If they do, they you can ask DCP to not have them wear it to your house again.
                        He'll be two next month. Mom is...interesting. Pierced eyebrow, but nothing else visible. Bright red hair. Lucille Ball red, not firetruck red. She does something with computers. Makes websites maybe? Educated and well-spoken, but just odd.

Comment

Originally posted by Controlled Chaos View Post
                          I wouldn't worry about it. Unless the graphic on the T shirt was actually frightening or bothersome. My DH's friends think its hilarious to get their friends' babies onsies and shirts with their favorite bands on it. If other parents know the band they are free to laugh or role their eyes. I have turned a toddlers zombie shirt inside out before and told the parents it was too scary for the little ones. They didn't send the child in that shirt again.
                          I don't see anything wrong with the shirt either.

Comment

Slip Knot singing about the devil? ::

I don't think so....

I AM a HUGE Slip Knot/Stone Sour fan and as a parent would be pissed if I sent my kid in a shirt and he came home with it "censored".

If the daycare provider or center had an issue with what I put on my child, I would expect a private discussion about it verses just finagling my kids' clothing inside/out.

If none of the kids in your program can read, I wouldn't worry about it and if you are worried the child will wear any more clothing that is controversial, then take a moment to talk privately with the parent about it.

Most these kids are exposed to far more negative and "nightmare" inducing things to worry about than a tee shirt with a band logo on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post
                              Slip Knot singing about the devil? ::

I don't think so....

I AM a HUGE Slip Knot/Stone Sour fan and as a parent would be pissed if I sent my kid in a shirt and he came home with it "censored".

If the daycare provider or center had an issue with what I put on my child, I would expect a private discussion about it verses just finagling my kids' clothing inside/out.

If none of the kids in your program can read, I wouldn't worry about it and if you are worried the child will wear any more clothing that is controversial, then take a moment to talk privately with the parent about it.

Most these kids are exposed to far more negative and "nightmare" inducing things to worry about than a tee shirt with a band logo on it.

I like those bands too, and many like them! Maybe it's just me, but I can understand most of what they say.

OP, I could see if there were pictures on the shirt because they do look scary/weird (there actually is a reason for that too), but other than that, I wouldn't care.

Comment

Working...
                              X