Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Do You Handle Parents That Don't Send Outdoor Clothes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Do You Handle Parents That Don't Send Outdoor Clothes?

Well its cold here and we have to have ski pants, mitts, hats etc for outdoor play. Everyone except one child all week have their stuff. I have one child and the mom says she lost the ski pants in her house and has to find them. But its Thursday already. Poor kids want to go outside.

How do you handle this? I cna't leave one child in the house when we go out. She is putting me in an impossible position.

I require ALL children to have proper outdoor gear.

Check upon drop off and refuse care if the child is missing anything.

I refuse to keep all the children inside because one parent forgot or doesn't send the proper gear.

If she already dropped off, call and let her know you are going out at x time and she can either come drop off the proper gear or pick up BEFORE that time.

Check daily at drop off if necessary

Comment

What BC said exactly. I send them home. Not my problem.

Comment

Some people refuse the child without proper gear. Some will call the parent to bring the items.

I had a very similar situation last week. I have it in my handbook that by mid to late fall the kids will start requiring their winter gear of snow pants, warm boots, mittens, hat. Not just for snow, but to keep warm. Then on Dec 3rd I gave out my newsletter with a whole section that these items are required everyday. Kids get cold fast if not dressed properly and we go outside as often as possible through the winter and we will not stay in due to anyone being unprepared. Also I will not supply extras for those who "forget". Previously I had one set of extras and ended up with families who regularly "forgot". Not really true, they just counted on me to have extras, one less thing for them to do. The trouble came when 3 kids were relying on my one set of extras...so no more extras.

I also go over these things at interviews, so that's 3 times I "tell" parents that these items are required (interview, handbook and newsletter)

So last week dcb comes with just a coat. This was right after they received the newsletter. So we went outside. I didn't realize until it was time to go out, I was not going to keep everyone in...it was snowing and they were excited! Not too cold, probably in the 30's, but cold enough to need gear. Dcb was cold but not freezing, I had him put his hands in his pockets and he wore his hood, he was fine.

So when mom picks up she sees everyone else's gear that was drying and says "Oh should I bring his winter stuff?" I didn't even answer because now I know that she didn't read the newsletter that she JUST received a few days prior, I dedicated a whole section to winter gear, she couldn't have missed it.

I post pics on my fb daycare page almost daily. I had posted pics of the kids outside that day. This week he arrived with all his outdoor gear. His mom says "I feel like a bad mom, he had to put his hands in his pockets! I saw the pics of them outside. I didn't realize he would need his outdoor stuff". Ummm, he's 2.5. We go outside almost daily. It's cold. Even if I didn't say they needed it, how could you not realize he needed outdoor gear?

I guess seeing it for herself was a better way to get the point across. I mean if she didn't get it after the first 3 times I "talked" about it...

Comment

Well the mom did find the pants and brought them today. i think I will post a note on the door if they don't have proper outdoor gear the parents will be called to pick up the child. This parent is just so difficult. I know she will make a rude comment that is just the way she is.

We don't always get to go out everyday but I want to be able to go out if we choose to go out. Its so cold here in the winter. and this week earlier was warmer so it would have been nice to get out. But we are going out today but won't be able to stay out long cause its 9 below with wind chill.

Comment

Start requiring families to LEAVE a set of snowgear at your home. A pair of snowpants at a second hand store can be had for $5-$10. WalMart has boots for about $12-they're not good boots, but they're better than nothing. It eliminates the "forgetfulness". It forces you to store the stuff, which isn't fun, but at least you have the freedom to go outdoors.

As far as leaving the child indoors, I have had them sit right inside my door in the past, where I could still see them. My new home has a walkout basement, which makes it very possible for me to leave a child inside and still have complete visual access to all of the kids.

Comment

I used to be more strict, but now I just keep extras here. I buy them myself or have gotten them hand me down over the years. Less stress for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Lorna View Post
                Well the mom did find the pants and brought them today. i think I will post a note on the door if they don't have proper outdoor gear the parents will be called to pick up the child. This parent is just so difficult. I know she will make a rude comment that is just the way she is.

We don't always get to go out everyday but I want to be able to go out if we choose to go out. Its so cold here in the winter. and this week earlier was warmer so it would have been nice to get out. But we are going out today but won't be able to stay out long cause its 9 below with wind chill.
                What kind of rude comment?

If it's about having to come bring the snow pants, ask her why it's fair that her forgetfulness or lack of supplies should mean the other kids suffer...

Otherwise, ask her if she would prefer you just have her child go outside without the proper gear...her call.

I don't understand parents who make rude comments to their providers about things that are required to make THEIR child's day an enjoyable one.

Comment

we go outside regardless of who brings what (but I'm a wimp and we don't go outside when its freezing cold). I find different parents have different ideas of what is acceptable weather for a sweatshirt, coat, hat, gloves, etc. I am not going to fight them - they know we go outside, they know the weather, it is their responsibility and decision to provide what they feel is the appropriate gear for their child for the weather forecast that day.

I have had some who have seen pictures of other kids and then got clued in as well.

Comment

I have had parents in the past "forget" on purpose because they thought if their child didn't have gear, we wouldn't go outside. I had two girls who hated to go outside in the cold and would cry and whine to Mom every day we did. For them, I simply picked up the ugliest looking winter gear I could find (they were both old enough where that bothered them) and said "oh! forgot again huh? Good thing I have extra, here ya go!" Sending them home would have worked too but at that time I didn't have a strong enough backbone. Now I typically just pick up extra winter gear, or save my kids old stuff and put dck's in that. I don't mind, it makes it easier on everyone. But I also have a small enough group where that's easy to do and hasn't ever cost me more then 20$ a year (lawn sales etc are where it comes from and it's an expense I figure into my rates).

Comment

kids who don't have proper supplies or their day, don't come. I send them back until they do have them.

Comment

I supply them.
                        http://www.amazon.com/Daycare-Whispe...=doing+daycare

Comment

Originally posted by Angelsj View Post
                          I buy them myself or have gotten them hand me down over the years. Less stress for me.
                          Me, too. I also post lots of pictures to our blog and to facebook and send daily emails, in which I remind about the gear we need (which is also in the handbook, of course). But, inevitably, someone will forget anyway. Or play dumb. Or only go outside themselves to walk to their warm car, so they don't get it at all why we need actually-warm clothing. No way am I staying in, and I wouldn't be comfortable sending them home, so it's easier for me to just keep spares on hand.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post
                            What kind of rude comment?

If it's about having to come bring the snow pants, ask her why it's fair that her forgetfulness or lack of supplies should mean the other kids suffer...

Otherwise, ask her if she would prefer you just have her child go outside without the proper gear...her call.

I don't understand parents who make rude comments to their providers about things that are required to make THEIR child's day an enjoyable one.
                            Just rude the way she talks to me. Snitty might be a good word to describe her. She has been a pain in the butt to deal with everytime I had to change a policy. Its not fair that she has to pay for a stat when he isn't there. Its not fair she has to pay for a day when he is sick. Very snitty the way she talks. Difficult and makes make dread telling her any changes that there are.

Comment

i bought 5 or 6 pairs of splash pants because the kids were not bringing them. But I give up. I honestly dont get paid enough to provide all the children with outdoor gear. Unfortunately its a small town and there isn't a used clothing store. Most of the kids have really good brand name clothes so I know they wouldn't want to buy extras. Most parents do leave the ski pants here during the week. But this mom brought them home on the weekend and then lost them in her house.

I'll put up a note in the doorway. I do have it in my handbook that the children must have proper outdoor clothing. But I don't have that I will send the child home at outside time or not accept the child into care in the morning.

this same mom send her kid with no pullups. I had to run to the store at naptime and get my daughter to watch the kids and buy the pullups. She didn't even say thank you. It was like she was pissed with me for buying them. Next time He can't come without the diapers.

Comment

Working...
                              X