Bathroom Breaks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bathroom Breaks

How do family childcare providers go to the bathroom? Do you not supervise the kids at that time? Do you have cameras on the kids and a tv in the bathroom? seriously though? How? I feel like I could never do family childcare unless I did a large one in order to afford an assistant JUST so I could go to the bathroom when needed.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    How do family childcare providers go to the bathroom? Do you not supervise the kids at that time? Do you have cameras on the kids and a tv in the bathroom? seriously though? How? I feel like I could never do family childcare unless I did a large one in order to afford an assistant JUST so I could go to the bathroom when needed.
    I go at snacks and lunch, while everyone is buckled in, but before they get food.

Comment

haha This made me , as I am dealing with a UTI and possible kidney infection right now (sorry TMI) and am going to the bathroom a lot! I also try to make a point to go at snacks and meals, when they are safe and secure. Though if I need to go otherwise, I strap the babies into their high chair or pop them into a pac n play and make sure the "big" kids are super engaged in something else for a sec. I can go fast, and if I leave the door cracked I can see 1/2 the room through them mirror.

you gotta go, when you gotta go...::

I am sure those who are pregnant right now have a system. When I was pregnant I was throwing up all the time, enough that the kids started chanting "we be good! we be safe!" as I went running to the bathroom I do not miss morning sickness.

Comment

No cameras here. I usually go when the babies are napping and the toddlers are playing in the daycare room. If the infants are up, I'll stick them in their cribs real quick while I go to the bathroom.
        The kids are all fine alone for a few min while I leave the room.

Comment

Very, very quickly. ::
          I am homeschooling one of my own now who is 12, so it's way easier than it used to be. She keeps a eye on them for the 30 seconds it takes me to potty.

I asked my licensing rep this question when I was in the process of licensing and she gave me a very vague answer that wasn't really an answer. We have to supervise visibly and audibly at all times when the children are awake. The answer she gave me was kind of a "don't ask, don't tell" kind of thing. I was like, really?! We all do it and it's a necessity, so just address it already.

But truly, I don't have to worry about my kids because they follow me everywhere, like a row of little ducklings. If I'm in the bathroom, they're right outside the door, knocking and sticking their fingers under it. ::

Comment

Eh, if I have to go, I go. I mean, it should be common sense. If I have younger kiddos, I make sure to put them up before I go, but usually, I let them know I'm using the bathroom and will be right back. I have mostly 3 and 4 year olds and all are capable of continuing to play while I do so.

In my mind not every care situation is right for every child/family, and IMO a child who can't handle a provider's bathroom breaks (which are fairly quick, ) is probably not a good fit for a in-home.

Comment

Originally posted by Wednesday View Post
              Very, very quickly. ::
              I am homeschooling one of my own now who is 12, so it's way easier than it used to be. She keeps a eye on them for the 30 seconds it takes me to potty.

I asked my licensing rep this question when I was in the process of licensing and she gave me a very vague answer that wasn't really an answer. We have to supervise visibly and audibly at all times when the children are awake. The answer she gave me was kind of a "don't ask, don't tell" kind of thing. I was like, really?! We all do it and it's a necessity, so just address it already.

But truly, I don't have to worry about my kids because they follow me everywhere, like a row of little ducklings. If I'm in the bathroom, they're right outside the door, knocking and sticking their fingers under it. ::
              My littles all seem to follow me too. It's a game of who can knock the loudest while TeeTee goes potty haha

Comment

I've always gone whenever I needed to. Right now I only have older kids so it really doesn't matter. Even when I had babies I would go when needed.

It has been so long (11 years) since I've had a daycare baby that I don't know how I did it. I may have put them in a pack n play or the swing.

Kelly
                Homeschooling Mama to:
                lovethis
                dd12
                ds 10
                dd 8

Comment

I've been doing hcc for nearly 30 years and bathroom breaks really aren't a big problem. Like others I make sure the kiddos are engaged in their play, put the 6mo in the bouncy/activity chair. Tell the kiddos I'm going potty and then make it quick. They can and do behave for the minute I am busy.

I still sometimes announce "I'm going potty." while out with friends.

Comment

I don't see the problem. I go when I need to go. My playroom is safe. I put the gate up at the playroom door, announce where I'm going, and do my thing as quickly as I can. Even if it's something that takes more than 30 seconds, the kids are just fine. If you treat it as something that's no big deal then the kids get used to it. Some people like to let the kids into the bathroom with them and while I know my house is clean, I've seen the things that have wound up on my bathroom floor... bleh!

I do the same thing for when I'm making meals. I can somewhat see into the playroom while I'm cooking, but if they're on the other side of the playroom I can't. But I also refuse to allow the kids in the kitchen while I cook for safety reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by Kimskiddos View Post
                      I've been doing hcc for nearly 30 years and bathroom breaks really aren't a big problem. Like others I make sure the kiddos are engaged in their play, put the 6mo in the bouncy/activity chair. Tell the kiddos I'm going potty and then make it quick. They can and do behave for the minute I am busy.

I still sometimes announce "I'm going potty." while out with friends.
                      Yes to everything you've said, but especially YES to the last thing!!::
                      (or worse, asking friends if they need to use the potty:: )

Comment

Originally posted by Play Care View Post
                        Eh, if I have to go, I go. I mean, it should be common sense. If I have younger kiddos, I make sure to put them up before I go, but usually, I let them know I'm using the bathroom and will be right back. I have mostly 3 and 4 year olds and all are capable of continuing to play while I do so.

In my mind not every care situation is right for every child/family, and IMO a child who can't handle a provider's bathroom breaks (which are fairly quick, ) is probably not a good fit for a in-home.

Unless you need an extraordinary amount of time to use the bathroom, I don't understand why this is an issue for some providers. (general....not directed at anyone in particular).

If I gotta go, I go.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post

Unless you need an extraordinary amount of time to use the bathroom, I don't understand why this is an issue for some providers. (general....not directed at anyone in particular).

If I gotta go, I go.
                          I've had days where I've needed an "extraordinary" amount of time in the bathroom; and I jus make sure everyone is secured in something (pack n play, high chair, bouncer etc) and I go and take my time . Some things take longer than other things ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by AuntTami View Post
                            I've had days where I've needed an "extraordinary" amount of time in the bathroom; and I jus make sure everyone is secured in something (pack n play, high chair, bouncer etc) and I go and take my time . Some things take longer than other things ;-)
                            Like I said, if you gotta go, you go but I've never (in 20+ years) needed an extraordinary amount of time to use the bathroom during daycare hours so I'm good.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post
                              Like I said, if you gotta go, you go but I've never (in 20+ years) needed an extraordinary amount of time to use the bathroom during daycare hours so I'm good.
                              You're lucky! Being from the cheese state, I LOVE dairy products but they don't LOVE me but it doesn't stop me from eating them or drinking milk. I get sick but it's worth it. I love dairy haha. I have pills but I always forget to take them until it's too late haha

Comment

Working...
                              X