Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help!! Be Honest...Is This Enough Of A Gift?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I first started doing daycare about 8 yrs. ago- I bought presents fort he children's birthdays, and Christmas ones. I would spend about $10.00 on each child for their birthdays and $25.00 for each at Christmas time. It went down in price aobut every yr. Now starting about 4 yrs. ago, I cut out Birthday presents all together. We sing Happy Birthday and make cards for each Birthday. Now Christmas I have gone down to $15-$20.00 on each child. As of today Mon. I haven't received anything from any of my 4 families. I gave out all the children's gifts last Fri. at our Christmas party. I don't expect a present, but would like a card, just to let me know how appreciative they are of me, would be awfully nice!! I give out gifts to religion teachers, mailman, UPS man, Fed ex man, paper guy, teachers, etc. every Xmas. I do appreciate everything they do all yr. round!!

Comment

I went to TJmaxx this year and bought a cheap but decent brand developmental toy for my dcg. Shes still really a baby in terms of her development and if I hear "We really need to get her something like this" pointing to one of my toys again im going to yell "WHAT DO YOU GIVE HER TO PLAY WITH AT HOME THEN??" I dont expcet anything from my parents as they usually forget stuff for their own kid so Im just hoping for payment on time this week (so far its a no go). I do like the handprint ornament idea though. Thats a good one for next year.
      "Being a parent is wanting to hug and strangle your kid at the same time".

Comment

I wouldn't feel bad. I went to Wal Mart and got a bunch of the little stocking stuffers for the kids. So I think each kid had 6 things in their gift bag. I'm sick of spending a lot of money on the kids only to get ignored by the parents.

Comment

I have done the photo books in the past and the kids love them as much as the parents do! I wouldn't worry about doing something specifically for the kids.

Comment

We are making cookies for Santa on Thursday to send home with the kids that's it.

Comment

Originally posted by ninosqueridos View Post
              For Christmas, I made photo books for the dcp's - a year's worth of photos and captions personalized for each child. Now the DCKs don't have anything from ME to open and I can't go spend even $10 per kid - I'm over budget for Christmas spending as it is. I didn't even plan a Christmas party (I feel bad that one family doesn't celebrate Christmas and I don't want them to feel left out).

What can I possibly give my dck's that is verrrry inexpensive? Or is no gift OKAY?
              Make some homemade playdough! My dck's LOVE playdough! Just a thought! And I LOVE what you did for the parents! I may steal that for next year!

Comment

Maybe you could just write 1 or 2 sentences on contruction paper telling each child what you love about them. Then cut out a fancy border and maybe even add a couple of stickers or glitter to fancy it up. From the heart and very inexpensive!

Comment

Originally posted by ninosqueridos View Post
                  For Christmas, I made photo books for the dcp's - a year's worth of photos and captions personalized for each child. Now the DCKs don't have anything from ME to open and I can't go spend even $10 per kid - I'm over budget for Christmas spending as it is. I didn't even plan a Christmas party (I feel bad that one family doesn't celebrate Christmas and I don't want them to feel left out).

What can I possibly give my dck's that is verrrry inexpensive? Or is no gift OKAY?
                  Having had my oldest in child care when he was younger, I would have loved to have received one of the photo books you made. Personalizing each one with captions must have taken an incredible amount of time and effort for you to do. I would think that what you've already done is more than enough -- so generous and thoughtful! Besides, the kids enjoy photo books, too. They love looking at their own pictures and those of their friends so it's a family gift vs. just a parent gift.

If you feel uncomfortable not giving something to the kids, you could maybe give each child a candy cane or one of those candy canes filled with M&Ms - something small like that. Younger kids are easy to please; it doesn't take a lot of money to make them happy.

Comment

I think christmas gifts are great but I do not think the kids expect it. Everyone knows times are tough and I think the love and attention you give the kids is def enough!!

I just bought my kids little gift bags and toys from the dollar section at target...really cheap but I figure I would rather give cheap gift than regret spending too much at christmas.

Next year they wont remember what you got them. But the photo books will last forever and be very memorable.

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa daycare View Post
                      When I first started doing daycare about 8 yrs. ago- I bought presents fort he children's birthdays, and Christmas ones. I would spend about $10.00 on each child for their birthdays and $25.00 for each at Christmas time. It went down in price aobut every yr. Now starting about 4 yrs. ago, I cut out Birthday presents all together. We sing Happy Birthday and make cards for each Birthday. Now Christmas I have gone down to $15-$20.00 on each child. As of today Mon. I haven't received anything from any of my 4 families. I gave out all the children's gifts last Fri. at our Christmas party. I don't expect a present, but would like a card, just to let me know how appreciative they are of me, would be awfully nice!! I give out gifts to religion teachers, mailman, UPS man, Fed ex man, paper guy, teachers, etc. every Xmas. I do appreciate everything they do all yr. round!!
                      That's a lot of people to think about - wow - you are good!

Comment

Originally posted by DCMom View Post
                        I have done the photo books in the past and the kids love them as much as the parents do! I wouldn't worry about doing something specifically for the kids.
                        You're right - the kids have seen the books and they LOVE LOVE LOVE them and keep asking me, "Miss X, can I see my book?"

Comment

Originally posted by e.j. View Post
                          Having had my oldest in child care when he was younger, I would have loved to have received one of the photo books you made. Personalizing each one with captions must have taken an incredible amount of time and effort for you to do. I would think that what you've already done is more than enough -- so generous and thoughtful! Besides, the kids enjoy photo books, too. They love looking at their own pictures and those of their friends so it's a family gift vs. just a parent gift.

If you feel uncomfortable not giving something to the kids, you could maybe give each child a candy cane or one of those candy canes filled with M&Ms - something small like that. Younger kids are easy to please; it doesn't take a lot of money to make them happy.
                          They did take me a loooong time - probably about 3 hours per book? I really hope they like them as much as I do. I plan on doing it every year (this is my first full Christmas as a FCC provider).

Comment

Originally posted by MommyMuffin View Post
                            Next year they wont remember what you got them. But the photo books will last forever and be very memorable.
                            this makes me feel a lot better - thanks

Comment

okay well this year I went over board with my families
                              a photo album with pics for each family yes that's a photo album not a scrap book
                              a gift for each child
                              and a goodie basket for each family
                              call me crazy

Comment

Why don't you just address the book to the parents & child? They will all enjoy it and then everyone is covered.

Comment

Working...
                                X