Is This Tacky?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is This Tacky?

My ds goes to preschool 2 days a week, only a few hours a day. For Christmas, I decided to get each of his 2 teachers a $50 gift card to Target. I debated how much to spend, but figured the teachers only get a fraction of what the centers make, and it would be nice to give them a generous gift (though some might give more or give less). Anyway, I haven't given them out yet, but received a list today from the school with the teacher's favorite restaurants, stores,colors, etc. Fortunately, target was on the list. But, I couldn't help thinking it was a little tacky to assume a gift was going to be given from each child. I know they mean to be helpful, so I'm not seriously offended or anything ::Then, I got to thinking, how would my dc families like it if I did the same for them? I doubt they would care for it. Thoughts?

Yes, I think that's tacky. I'm sitting here imagining writing out a list of all my favorite things for my clients ::

I'm just... :confused: .... why would they think that was a good idea? I'm seriously perplexed ::

ETA:

Miss Beth's favorite color is orange and she loves Diet Coke. She also likes iTunes, Wal-Mart, and Amazon.

Geez.. so bizarre.

Comment

Very tacky. You get what you get, and you don't throw a fit. It applies to adults, too.

Comment

I guess it depends how you look at it. I mean maybe people ask so they have found that works? If they are assuming each child will send a gift it is tacky.

Comment

I think it would be great! - IF one of the parents took the initiative to have the teachers fill it out and then it was sent out from the parent.

When my kids were in preschool one of the parents took up a collection to get the teachers something they could actually use (gift card to favorite place). It made shopping so much easier as a parent and then the teacher didn't get a bunch of trinkety stuff they didn't really need or want.

However, I agree with "you get what you get and you don't throw a fit".

Comment

I am going with super tacky.

A parent texted me asking what type of wine I like...happyface but I would never send home a shopping list of present suggestions. I would look like a caffeine overloaded alcoholic ::::::

Comment

So tacky! In fact so tacky for me I would probably do something not on the list on purpose.

Comment

Very tacky! If my dds teacher sent home something like that all she would be getting is a tacky coffee mug

Comment

ridiculously tacky!

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                    Very tacky! If my dds teacher sent home something like that all she would be getting is a tacky coffee mug
                    wait.....

Show of hands, how many daycare providers get "tacky" coffee mugs (or reindeer plates) every year?

I thought it was just a "thing" or something... like "ugly" Christmas sweaters

.... must. rethink. everything..... ::
                    - Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.

Comment

Agreed, super tacky.

Comment

Maybe we should just invoice our clients:

Christmas bonus: $250.00 payable in cash or Target gift card. Please remit by Dec. 15th.

While it IS helpful to get that list, both for the parents and the teachers who usually don't want another coffee mug or bottle of scented lotion, it is extremely tacky to basically ASK for a gift.

Comment

Originally posted by Cat Herder View Post
                          wait.....

Show of hands, how many daycare providers get "tacky" coffee mugs (or reindeer plates) every year?

I thought it was just a "thing" or something... like "ugly" Christmas sweaters

.... must. rethink. everything..... ::
                          Hey, I'd be thrilled to get a tacky coffee mug, even though I don't drink coffee.

Comment

Originally posted by Shell View Post
                            My ds goes to preschool 2 days a week, only a few hours a day. For Christmas, I decided to get each of his 2 teachers a $50 gift card to Target. I debated how much to spend, but figured the teachers only get a fraction of what the centers make, and it would be nice to give them a generous gift (though some might give more or give less). Anyway, I haven't given them out yet, but received a list today from the school with the teacher's favorite restaurants, stores,colors, etc. Fortunately, target was on the list. But, I couldn't help thinking it was a little tacky to assume a gift was going to be given from each child. I know they mean to be helpful, so I'm not seriously offended or anything ::Then, I got to thinking, how would my dc families like it if I did the same for them? I doubt they would care for it. Thoughts?
                            Beyond tacky.

That said, many times I had been a room mother and thought of asking for donations instead of a gift to buy her something she could use. For some reason I couldn't though. It just didn't seem quite right to me.

Laurel

Comment

I don't think it's tacky, because it's not the teacher's idea to give you the list, it is the school's idea, and often they have the appointed "classroom parent representatives" do these types of things. So it's absolutely not the same as us giving our clients a wish list, which would in fact be tacky.

Comment

Working...
                              X