Homemade Play Doh, Going Off Of The Play Doh Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homemade Play Doh, Going Off Of The Play Doh Thread

Does anyone have a good homemade play doh recipe that they wouldn't mind sharing?

I saw on another thread that a few of us have tried making our own play doh and it didn't quite turn out.

Theimaginationtree.com - "best ever no cook playdough recipe" 4 minute no cook playdoh. Hands down the best recipe I have ever used. Use kool aid for the coloring- vibrant colors, smells fantastic! Edited: I had the wrong site!

Comment

Here's the one I use:
      3 C flour
      1 1/2 C salt
      3 C water
      2 T vegetable oil
      1 T cream of tartar
      Food coloring

Mix all ingredients in large saucepan. Cook on med low heat until dough comes away from sides of pan and it becomes difficult to move the spoon. Remove from heat. Cool until it can be handled. Knead, then store in airtight container.

Comment

Thanks! I'll have to try making it on Monday!

Comment

We use something similar to playdough, but its safe to eat, called "cloud dough"...Flour, oil and food coloring...It smears more than playdough and unless refridgerated before using, it doesn't hold up as well as playdough, but the fact that I don't have to constantly say "no don't eat it" while playing with it, makes it better than playdough in my mind!

Comment

Just an FYI, I edited the original link I posted. Check out the recipe, it is excellent! Scroll all the way down, bottom left, it says 4 minute playdough or use the search option.

Comment

Kool-Aid Playdough
              Ingredients:
              • 1 1/4 cup flour
              • 1/4 cup salt
              • 1 pkg unsweetened Kool-aid (just the
              dry koolaid, don't mix it into juice)
              • 1 cup boiling water
              • 1 1/2 Tbsp vegetable oil
              Directions:
              1. In a bowl, mix flour, salt and
              kool-aid.
              2. Stir in water and oil
              3. Knead with hands for about 5 minutes.
              4. Store in ziploc bag for up to 2
              4. months.
              5. Use like playdough.
              6. Smells wonderful and takes on the color
              of the koolaid.

This stuff is awesome. Only trick is make sure your water is boiling!

Comment

Originally posted by Rockgirl View Post
                Here's the one I use:
                3 C flour
                1 1/2 C salt
                3 C water
                2 T vegetable oil
                1 T cream of tartar
                Food coloring

Mix all ingredients in large saucepan. Cook on med low heat until dough comes away from sides of pan and it becomes difficult to move the spoon. Remove from heat. Cool until it can be handled. Knead, then store in airtight container.
                I can't find mine right now but this sounds like it.

What I love is feeling the warm dough. It is so homey/cozy feeling. Plus you can experiment and make your own colors. While it probably isn't tasty and isn't meant to be eaten, it is not toxic. I know what's in it! Can't say that for the store bought stuff.

Laurel

Comment

Here's the one I use:
                  3 C flour
                  1 1/2 C salt
                  3 C water
                  2 T vegetable oil
                  1 T cream of tartar
                  Food coloring

This sounds like the recipe I use. I love it. I make it and add different colors and/or scents like right now we are using a pumpkin pie spice one. And the one we are using right now I made last year and it has kept. I stored it in my closet with my theme stuff in a ziploc bag.

Comment

Originally posted by melilley View Post
                    Does anyone have a good homemade play doh recipe that they wouldn't mind sharing?

I saw on another thread that a few of us have tried making our own play doh and it didn't quite turn out.

Has pretty much every possible recipe out there!

Including glow in the dark

Comment

Here's the one I use:
                      3 C flour
                      1 1/2 C salt
                      3 C water
                      2 T vegetable oil
                      1 T cream of tartar
                      Food coloring

This is similar to what I use. I color it with Wilton's cake frosting colors to make it really vibrant.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                        Kool-Aid Playdough
                        Ingredients:
                        • 1 1/4 cup flour
                        • 1/4 cup salt
                        • 1 pkg unsweetened Kool-aid (just the
                        dry koolaid, don't mix it into juice)
                        • 1 cup boiling water
                        • 1 1/2 Tbsp vegetable oil
                        Directions:
                        1. In a bowl, mix flour, salt and
                        kool-aid.
                        2. Stir in water and oil
                        3. Knead with hands for about 5 minutes.
                        4. Store in ziploc bag for up to 2
                        4. months.
                        5. Use like playdough.
                        6. Smells wonderful and takes on the color
                        of the koolaid.

This stuff is awesome. Only trick is make sure your water is boiling!
                        This is the one I use too and we love it. Make sure to use all purpose flour and vegetable oil. I made it once with olive oil and once with canola oil didn't turn out either time.

Comment

Originally posted by AuntTami View Post
                          We use something similar to playdough, but its safe to eat, called "cloud dough"...Flour, oil and food coloring...It smears more than playdough and unless refridgerated before using, it doesn't hold up as well as playdough, but the fact that I don't have to constantly say "no don't eat it" while playing with it, makes it better than playdough in my mind!
                          I would love to have this recipe.

Comment

I just posted detailed tips on the other play dough thread. Mine will last a year and is soft and never crumbly. Good luck!

Comment

I just posted detailed tips on the other play dough thread. Mine will last a year and is soft and never crumbly. Good luck!
                              Here is the info posted in the other thread:

I tell ya, I just had a lady bring in some homemade playdoh that was seven years old just so I could see it! The oil smelled rancid ( nobody had used it in years) but it was nice and soft! My homemade play dough lasts at least a year, even though I like to make new before that. It took me years to figure out the best way to make homemade.

It's soft and perfect! Not crumbly or sticky.

I've found the cooked recipe is the best and make sure to use the cream of tartar! It is a MUST! Do not over cook either. Cook only till it starts to firm up.

1 C flour
                              1 C warm water
                              1/2 C salt
                              2 Tablespoons cream of tartar
                              1 Tablespoon oil
                              2 pkgs unsweetened kool aid. Strawberry or orange smell really great. Lime too

This will be really soupy at first. Heat on medium/low and stir till it just holds together. Take off heat. Take out of pan after a minute or two so it doesn't keep cooking.

Store in a Ziplock bag. Again, this is a perfect, soft consistency and keeps forevah!
                              Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                              X