Diaper Rash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diaper Rash

This is probably on here, but the search function isn't working on my phone. Sorry!

I have dcb, 16 months, who has the worst diaper rash I've ever seen. His skin is so red and raw in spots that it looks more like open wounds.

I am changing him almost hourly to keep any irritation away and using diaper creams and Vaseline to coat and keep a barrier.

Any other suggestions - other than letting him run around naked - I don't want to be cleaning pee and poo off the carpets today!

Originally posted by midaycare View Post
    This is probably on here, but the search function isn't working on my phone. Sorry!

I have dcb, 16 months, who has the worst diaper rash I've ever seen. His skin is so red and raw in spots that it looks more like open wounds.

I am changing him almost hourly to keep any irritation away and using diaper creams and Vaseline to coat and keep a barrier.

Any other suggestions - other than letting him run around naked - I don't want to be cleaning pee and poo off the carpets today!
    Unless it's a yeast infection then that won't work and it will get worse. Yeast infections can look just like you described!

Comment

Maybe back off the creams for a bit. Wash area gently with hibicleanse or a diluted antibacterial soap. Rinse with light baking soda/water solution. Pat gently with soft cloth or paper towel. R

Allow it to air dry well before re-diapering. Then have parents try an oil free anti-fungal ointment 2-3 times a day over the weekend.

No diaper wipes, they burn open skin.
      - Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Cat Herder View Post
        Maybe back off the creams for a bit. Wash area gently with hibicleanse or a diluted antibacterial soap. Rinse with light baking soda/water solution. Pat gently with soft cloth or paper towel. R

Allow it to air dry well before re-diapering. Then have parents try an oil free anti-fungal ointment 2-3 times a day over the weekend.

No diaper wipes, they burn open skin.
        Oh my word! No wonder he is screaming so bad. I had no idea diaper wipes did this. *Feeling awful*

Comment

Poor fella Does he usually get bad rashes? If so, I would mention possibly getting an allergy/food intolerance screening to his parents.

I would not give anything too acidic to eat or drink today since that can irritate the rash. But aside from frequent changing and keeping his bottom covered there isn't a whole lot you can do. What cream does he have? I found that for those really bad rashes Dr. Smith's cream and Aquaphor worked better then Desitin.

I have also been told (although it never really helped with us) that letting a layer of maalox (or other liquid antacid) to dry on the skin and then putting cream on helps.

Comment

I just had the same thing happen this week. I thought it was a yeast rash too, but it ended up not being one. I used cloth wipes with water and blow dried her bum with a hair dryer set on cool after each change to make sure she was nice and dry. I have really good luck with extra strength desitin for a barrier. I use coconut oil on my own children, but don't know if I would feel comfortable doing that on dck. I ended up calling for pick up because she was miserable.

Comment

Oh my word! No wonder he is screaming so bad. I had no idea diaper wipes did this. *Feeling awful*
              You could take the wipes to the sink and thoroughly rinse them with cold water to remove whatever is in them that causes the stinging. Then use the rinsed wipes to clean his bum. This way, you're not ruining your own wash cloths.

Comment

Don't feel bad, we have all done it. :hug: If you ever have cracked hands, try rubbing one across them. Even the "sensitive" ones hurt. It is a prickly, itchy, burning sensation. For a real wake up call, try one on yourself the next time you go to the restroom.

**You can ring the entire stack of wipes out, then soak them in baking soda/water solution for convenience.

The baking soda stops the burning pain instantly. (one spoonful into a condiment bottle of warm water makes the perfect pain relief rinse and helps stop urine/feces burns in their tracks. Just put baby on a puppy pad or stack of paper towels for change/wash/rinse. Simple. )
                Attached Files
                - Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Baby Beluga View Post
                  Poor fella Does he usually get bad rashes? If so, I would mention a possibly getting an allergy/food intolerance screening to his parents.

I would not give anything too acidic to eat or drink today since that can irritate the rash. But aside from frequent changing and keeping his bottom covered there isn't a whole lot you can do. What cream does he have? I found that for those really bad rashes Dr. Smith's cream and Aquaphor worked better then Desitin.

I have also been told (although it never really helped with us) that letting a layer of maalox (or other liquid antacid) to dry on the skin and then putting cream on helps.
                  I think a lot of his rashes start from dcd not changing him as often as he should. Usually by frequently changing him I can make the rash disappear by pickup. Dcm leaves for work early and I'm pretty sure Dcd doesn't change the night diaper - which I've told dcm and she is embarrassed about.

So ... I think this round of diaper rash is possible teething along with dcd not changing as often as should be.

Comment

Browned flour. It is amazing, and doesn't burn or hurt when sprinkled on the rash. The only time we haven't had great success was when it was yeast. Fair warning though, it doesn't smell good!

Comment

Thanks everyone!

Comment

I use triple paste home made cream with parents permission.

Years ago my pedi gave me the recipe and in nicu the pharmacy actually compounded this exact recipe.

Basically it's food grade white cornstarch, mylanta mint flavored and pure zinc oxide or the white thick desistin plain.

You clean them good, apply a thick layer and don't wipe it off between changes. I usually just swipe at the top layer of it but the point is to not interrupt the barrier any more than possible.

If you can't by law apply this, have he parents do it this weekend. It works in one day.

Comment

Originally posted by Cradle2crayons View Post
                          I use triple paste home made cream with parents permission.

Years ago my pedi gave me the recipe and in nicu the pharmacy actually compounded this exact recipe.

Basically it's food grade white cornstarch, mylanta mint flavored and pure zinc oxide or the white thick desistin plain.

You clean them good, apply a thick layer and don't wipe it off between changes. I usually just swipe at the top layer of it but the point is to not interrupt the barrier any more than possible.

If you can't by law apply this, have he parents do it this weekend. It works in one day.
                          I've heard this works great! I've never use it personally, though.

Comment

Great tip, thank you!

Comment

More threads on Diaper Rash: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.php?tag=diaper+rash

Comment

Working...
                              X