Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Do You Wean A Baby From Being Swaddled?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Do You Wean A Baby From Being Swaddled?

This is probably a silly question, but it is something I am dealing with.

I have a now 4.5mo, when she started at 3.5mo she was used to sleeping in a curved bottom bassinette and I had trouble getting her to sleep in my flat PnP. So I bought a couple of those really cute swaddle sacks and she has been sleeping like a champ! We are very close to being on a sleep schedule that works at DC (dcm already had her on one that works very well for me- yay dcm!). So my question is how do I transition her to not using the swaddle? Just go cold turkey, start wrapping it looser? Or just keep using it until she out grows it?

Thanks

Would you consider a zip up blanket sack? The ones with the arms out? Then it's a gradual transition from full swaddled to a lesser one , and then later no swaddle blanket after she gets older?

Comment

Originally posted by Shell View Post
      Would you consider a zip up blanket sack? The ones with the arms out? Then it's a gradual transition from full swaddled to a lesser one , and then later no swaddle blanket after she gets older?
      The zip sack is a good idea! I will see if I can find a light weight one (it's still hot here).

As I've never used these swaddle sacks before I am just unsure how long I should continue to use it. They are a great product and the baby sleeps so well in it.

Comment

I need an answer to that as well. I am only allow to place sleeping baby, flat on his back in PNP. If he falls asleep in swing, he goes to PNP where he cries. Mom uses a wrap at home & I cannot. He is feed, changed & fine. He cries in PNP. :confused:

Comment

My little guy here was swaddled, too. Once he could roll over, I was worried about him being pinned, so I just put his arms out, but swaddled his lower body for a while. Then, a couple weeks later, I switched to a light afghan blanket. Even if he put it over his face, he could breathe through it. Being a big guy, and strong, he could pull the blanket out of the crib sides (our regs say that's how we have to blanket them, but swaddling is okay).

As soon as he could roll over onto his tummy well, he did what every other baby I've ever had does. Slept on top of his blanket, on his stomach, tushie in the air.

Comment

Originally posted by Heidi View Post
            My little guy here was swaddled, too. Once he could roll over, I was worried about him being pinned, so I just put his arms out, but swaddled his lower body for a while. Then, a couple weeks later, I switched to a light afghan blanket. Even if he put it over his face, he could breathe through it. Being a big guy, and strong, he could pull the blanket out of the crib sides (our regs say that's how we have to blanket them, but swaddling is okay).

As soon as he could roll over onto his tummy well, he did what every other baby I've ever had does. Slept on top of his blanket, on his stomach, tushie in the air.
            No blankets allowed until 12 mths old here.

Comment

Originally posted by coolconfidentme View Post
              No blankets allowed until 12 mths old here.
              We're allowed blankets but they have to be tucked at the bottom and all sides, under the baby's arms. If the baby kicks it untucked we don't have to retuck.

I'd try a sleep sack if you can use it. Some babies just like to be warm and snuggled.

Comment

Originally posted by AmyKidsCo View Post
                We're allowed blankets but they have to be tucked at the bottom and all sides, under the baby's arms. If the baby kicks it untucked we don't have to retuck.

I'd try a sleep sack if you can use it. Some babies just like to be warm and snuggled.
                We tried it & he still cries. He wants to be held near his chest. DCM has him in a wrap most of the time she is up. Makes it hard for the little guy here.

Comment

Originally posted by coolconfidentme View Post
                  We tried it & he still cries. He wants to be held near his chest. DCM has him in a wrap most of the time she is up. Makes it hard for the little guy here.
                  In that case, swaddle him with his arms free for a while. Under the arm pits. Nice and snuggly, but his hands are free if he rolls over.

Comment

Originally posted by Heidi View Post
                    In that case, swaddle him with his arms free for a while. Under the arm pits. Nice and snuggly, but his hands are free if he rolls over.
                    I did this with my 4.5mo this morning and it worked great. She is happily sound asleep.

Comment

Originally posted by Kimskiddos View Post
                      This is probably a silly question, but it is something I am dealing with.

I have a now 4.5mo, when she started at 3.5mo she was used to sleeping in a curved bottom bassinette and I had trouble getting her to sleep in my flat PnP. So I bought a couple of those really cute swaddle sacks and she has been sleeping like a champ! We are very close to being on a sleep schedule that works at DC (dcm already had her on one that works very well for me- yay dcm!). So my question is how do I transition her to not using the swaddle? Just go cold turkey, start wrapping it looser? Or just keep using it until she out grows it?

Thanks
                      Why bother? If it's working for her then she will let you know when she doesn't want it any more.

Comment

I usually just keep using it until they outgrow it and then its really not that big of a deal to wean. You could always just leave the babies arms out to get her used.

Comment

babiesrus.com has some Halo sleep sacks on sale.

Comment

one of my dcm's uses this:

Baby clothes online, including Zipadee-Zip, a baby sleepsuit and swaddle transition solution. Also a variety of baby bodysuits, baby pajamas, and onesies for babies. Shop now!

they are really cute, and they sleep pretty well in it. it kind of reminds me of a starfish...great especially for those active babies trying to crawl out of the PNP!

Comment

Working...
                            X