Where To Find Cheap Dress Up Clothes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where To Find Cheap Dress Up Clothes?

I don't have anyone I can get hand me downs from, and the second hand stores around here have been a bust.

I'm looking for the doctor, fireman, princess type stuff. It is super expensive whenever I see it. If I do find cheap things, it is made to break within 24 hours. I have had a little bit of luck at the dollar store, but I have bought their supply out.

Any ideas?

TIA!

I am going to be following this thread because we have the same problem. Eight now we have one dress, one "princess" top, and a red jacket.

Comment

Try Goodwill. Or ask your families.

I've had luck with both.

Sadly the good quality stuff IS expensive but once you amass a good collection, it pays off because you don't have to buy over and over.

I've also got a couple DCD/DCM's that work in service industry and they've donated safety vests, ear muffs, hard hats, lab coats etc before so that might be a good place to start.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunshine74 View Post
        I am going to be following this thread because we have the same problem. Eight now we have one dress, one "princess" top, and a red jacket.
        Right??? When my kids dress up now they end up with a fireman's hat, a lizard mask, and a tutu. They look a little disturbing.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post
          Try Goodwill. Or ask your families.

I've had luck with both.

Sadly the good quality stuff IS expensive but once you amass a good collection, it pays off because you don't have to buy over and over.

I've also got a couple DCD/DCM's that work in service industry and they've donated safety vests, ear muffs, hard hats, lab coats etc before so that might be a good place to start.
          I think I will probably have to go ahead and just set aside $50 a month for different dress up things until I have some nice stuff. I went ahead and ordered some doctor things from Amazon that looked nice. Something else next month. What are your kids' favorite dress up centers/pieces?

Comment

I normally go shopping the day after Halloween when everything's marked down and pick up a few costumes and accessories.

Comment

Originally posted by Maggie View Post
              I normally go shopping the day after Halloween when everything's marked down and pick up a few costumes and accessories.
              This is what I do too! The week after Halloween is the best time! I also buy craft items and decorations that week.

Comment

I got a huge lot of old Halloween costumes from a family I used to babysit for. The kids are in middle school now, but the mom kept a big box and then passed it on. It has really great handmade stuff- better than what the stores sell, IMO.

Comment

I saw some Melissa & Doug outfits at Target on sale for $14.99 per set a few weeks ago. Check local facebook garage sale sites, too-I see lots of flower girl dresses that would be fun for little girls and sell cheap. Agree with after Halloween, too-tons of deals to be had then.

Comment

On I never would have thought of that! Now I'm excited for Nov 1st!

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by midaycare View Post
                        Right??? When my kids dress up now they end up with a fireman's hat, a lizard mask, and a tutu. They look a little disturbing.
                        Lol!!

You can get fireman hats & cheap badges at the dollar store. I always go the week after thanksgiving and buy some costumes but they are made so cheap that we end up tossing them about a month or two later.

I agree with blackcat about asking families if they have any they can donate. You could also ask your families if anyone has a sewing machine that can make you some cute capes.

You could also get some at garage sales. I have a big family and my sister in laws like expensive dress up clothes, so I get a ton handed down to us & then I buy at thrift stores too.

Comment

Originally posted by midaycare View Post
                          What are your kids' favorite dress up centers/pieces?
                          Mine LOVE the tu-tus and the high heeled shoes. Especially the boys. ::

The girls all fight over the tiara's and the crowns. They also seem to gravitate toward the purses, aprons and the dresses.

My construction, fireman, police and doctor apparel are the least used.

NO clue why.

I also think it has a lot to do with each particular group. A couple years ago, I could not have enough animal costumes and nothing else was ever worn.

Now my dog, dinosaur, cat and monkey dress up stuff sits untouched.

Comment

Yes! These are sometimes 'made to break' since most people only wear them once, but they are SO cheap that I don't mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post
                              Mine LOVE the tu-tus and the high heeled shoes. Especially the boys. ::

The girls all fight over the tiara's and the crowns. They also seem to gravitate toward the purses, aprons and the dresses.

My construction, fireman, police and doctor apparel are the least used.

NO clue why.

I also think it has a lot to do with each particular group. A couple years ago, I could not have enough animal costumes and nothing else was ever worn.

Now my dog, dinosaur, cat and monkey dress up stuff sits untouched.
                              My ds LOVES to wear my heels..

Comment

Working...
                              X