Weird Thing Happened Yesterday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird Thing Happened Yesterday

I was stupid and advertised on Craigslist , I usually don't but I have quite a few openings and just wanted to fill them. I figured I know how to avoid the scams and I have enrolled a lot of kids through CL and just did it

Well yesterday I got a call from a man with a 909 area code and he said he needed care for his 7 and 8 year olds just until end of Summer.
    He said he saw my website and was very interested
    He sounded like he was from South Africa which in itself was not a red flag but he said he lived in Cypres and works in Long Beach which is not extremely far from me but really like driving a triangle for dropping off etc.
    so, I was a little sceptical and kept talking , lsitsened for kids in the background and just had my antenna up
    everything sounded o.k. and I set up an interview for last night at 6 pm and of course no show/no call
    I called him and it went straight to answering machine
    he then texted me right back and said on the way
    he never showed but i got a robo call from ebay saying something like " hello this is ebay if you are expecting this call press 8"
    I hung up right away and now I think it may have been a scam

Has anyone had this happened?
    do you think it's a scam?
    I got the call from ebay within an hour after I gave him my address
    I feel so stupid

97 reads and no advice?
    ok

Comment

That's very weird. It does sound like a scam

Comment

That is strange but I really don't have any advice. If he calls again I would just tell him you have no openings sorry. Oh and watch your phone bill I have heard something about charges on phone bills that shouldn't be there.

Comment

I didn't have advice....I've never heard of this happening. I read the post because the title made me curious. It does sound suspicious.

Comment

Try to Google his number and see what comes up. It seems like an awful lot of time put in on his part for a scam but you could be right.

Comment

Never heard of this. :confused:

Never had Ebay call me.

Never advertised on Craigslist.

I will be checking in on this thread to learn as it develops.
              - Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.

Comment

If you did not give any personal info what can he get from you if it was a scam ? Info from your phone # ?

Comment

My guess: They likely call you claiming to be eBay, asking you about a phony order using the information they already obtained. Then, to "verify" your address or to dispute the order to your address they retrieve more account information.

I stopped using Craigslist after so many shady phishing scams made the experience not worth it. Do you have an active eBay account? I'd change that password if so and report the scam to CL. Changing your email account password would also of course be wise.

Sorry this happened to you!
                  “Never hurry and never worry!”

Comment

I advertised on Facebook and got an email from someone. We se up an interview but they never showed. Like you, I got an email that asked for directions and said they were on the way.....yet never showed. I sent them an email and told them my time is precious and I would not consider them for my program and that I had cancelled plans. Never heard back.

Comment

I have never had this happen to me and I only use CL to advertise. I did get a couple of emails that didn't make sense so I just ignored them. My best advice is if you think it is a scam, then it probably is. In your particular case, either it is a scam or the person just didn't show up and the call from ebay, an hour later is just coincidence. Just be careful, that's all.

Comment

Definitely change your ebay password. That particular phone call is an option that you can choose, when changing your password. Hackers use ebay to gain access to Paypal accounts--hope this helps.

Comment

That is super weird.
                          I agree that I have no advice other than changing passwords and trying to look up people's info before interviewing. I google, facebook, linked in, google plus, county clerk, etc everyone before I even agree to speak to them further.

Comment

Probably a scam. I've used craigslist for selling stuff and I get a lot of stuff like that. Craigslist can be great but also a pain at the same time.

Comment

I never heard of such a thing, however I always have parents go the the link in my CL ad that opens my website; they don't ever get my contact info if they don't send me their contact info first off my contact page. I can google them and their before I call. If they refuse to give me a number and only send email, I write them off ... my website specifically says my first phone call is our first interview; I don't have time to email back and forth for a week to find out they aren't worth my time.

Comment

Working...
                              X