the child who throws himself on the floor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the child who throws himself on the floor

What do you all do when a child throws a fit and throws themselves on the floor because they can't have their way? This child is never told no and is pretty much the boss at home he runs his parents and it disgust me to see a 2 year old run the house. He thinks he can do it here but NO he can't and I won't put up with it. I just don't know what to do when he throws himself on the floor.

He always tells me no. I tell him not to do it and he looks at me and does it anyway UGH so tired of it!

Last week he was on vacation and it was great this week he is back and it's hell

I just walk away and ignore them. If they are screaming, I move them to my hallway. I can still see them, but it gets them out of the way of the other children and they aren't screaming right in my ear.

No is the chosen word of the month here! At 2, they like to test boundries. It's developmentally normal at this age, some kids are just worse at it than others.

I get what you are saying about that child being on vacation. I have a very challenging 2.5 yo and he's been on vacation/visiting dad for weeks at a time this summer and it's so much calmer and I enjoy my days when he's not here, but when he comes back.....not so much.

Comment

I say what I say to all of the children here who start trying that. "We say YES MA'AM. " and if they comply they get to carry on with life. If they don't comply/throw a tantrum then they get to sit separated from the group. I try again after the screaming/hollering/no saying simmers down and say, "Are you ready to be a good listener? We say yes ma'am. " I will rinse and repeat this sometimes 5 times! But, I do notice that they don't tend to go down this road more than a handful of times (for the strong-willed children) or once (for the average joe). Saying no doesn't get you a whole lot here. Especially nothing fun like extra attention, people giving in to your tantruming/no saying ways, etc.

Comment

One of the things I'll tell the older dcks when a little one is having a temper tantrum is 'don't give him an audience'. I do the same thing. I'll make sure everyone is out of the dck's way and we all go on with fun stuff. It takes a few minutes but usually the tantrum child is distracted by what we're doing, calms himself down and when I see that, I'll ask him if he'd like to join us.

I also have a 3 1/2 yo dcg who throws herself around, gets all red-faced and frustrated, I'll tell her that I'll be back to talk with her when she calms down. She's the hardest one to deal with because she is soooo dramatic and pulls that act out of her pocket any ole time, like smack in the middle of nap time. Her mom says she does it at home too but mom gets down and holds her til she calms down. Well, I can't and/or won't do that. Meanie me.

Comment

Originally posted by Josiegirl View Post
          One of the things I'll tell the older dcks when a little one is having a temper tantrum is 'don't give him an audience'. I do the same thing.
          "Don't give him an audience."

My son (Asperger's) used to have melt downs when he was younger. I learned that the less attention he got during a tantrum, the shorter the duration. I would just step over him and say calmly, "Let me know when you're done." Then we'd talk it through after he was calm. I haven't had many dc kids tantrum on me but when they do, I use the same technique. It usually works well. I rarely have a child who does it a second time.

Comment

Stays there... My policy is to never, ever pick up a tantruming child. I will move the other kids to another spot if necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by Play Care View Post
              Stays there... My policy is to never, ever pick up a tantruming child. I will move the other kids to another spot if necessary.
              I don't have such a beast now, but for future reference...

What do you do when they follow you?

I've had that happen.

I also had one who would throw a tantrum at the table (no more graham crackers). WWYD then? I told him to leave the table, he wouldn't. I moved him (60 lbs of almost 5 year old), wrenched my back, and decided that day it was over with that family. How would you have dealt with that?

I know it'll happen some time, some place, again. I plan on being more prepared next time.

Comment

If they follow you, let them. Just keep saying "I'll talk with you when you're calm." They'll get bored/tired eventually. I used to have a table tantrumer too in my classroom. I used to leave him there and pack everyone else up and have a special picnic on the floor. I would also happen to pull out a special dessert for all of my quiet friends. "oh how sad! You aren't being quiet! This dessert is only for my quiet friends. Perhaps when you're done screaming you could come join our quiet picnic. Hope you can calm down soon!"

Comment

I have a smaller kids table. If the child would not leave the table, then the table would leave the child.

Comment

Originally posted by altandra View Post
                    If they follow you, let them. Just keep saying "I'll talk with you when you're calm." They'll get bored/tired eventually. I used to have a table tantrumer too in my classroom. I used to leave him there and pack everyone else up and have a special picnic on the floor. I would also happen to pull out a special dessert for all of my quiet friends. "oh how sad! You aren't being quiet! This dessert is only for my quiet friends. Perhaps when you're done screaming you could come join our quiet picnic. Hope you can calm down soon!"

Sounds like Love and Logic!

"Don't water the weeds. Don't water the weeds. Don't water the weeds..." is my mantra at times like this.

Comment

Working...
                    X