The Incessant "Why"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Incessant "Why"

I love for my kiddos to ask questions and take an interest in the world around them. I believe curiosity is a catalyst for learning. However, the "why?" questions are driving me crazy. If a child asks me "why?" when I tell them to do something or not do something I typically respond with, "Not why, just yes ma'am!" I say it in a cheery voice and some of them have picked up on it. It's funny to hear them walking around the yard saying "Yes ma'am," now. I heard that suggestion from some of you on this forum. My dilemma is when the why questions don't pertain to boundaries. It starts out like the child is curious about something, but every answer only perpetuates another why. Example: "Where is so and so?" "He is outside." "Why is he outside?" He is working on the barn." "Why is he working on the barn?" "That is his job, sweetie." "Why is that his job?" And on and on it goes. Those conversations are just frustrating, but sometimes I find that if I keep answering I end up stepping on toes. Like when a child asks repeatedly why we don't watch t.v. often during the day at my house. Or why I don't give treats for pottying, etc. Then if I give an honest answer I feel like I'm undermining their parents when they do engage in these activities regularly. But if I give a simple "Those are the rules at daycare," it is only followed by 10 more "why's?" How do you decide when to just ignore the question and when to answer?

I am a, "We say yes ma'am! " person. But, when it is constant why's I eventually cut it off and say, "Hmmm. I don't know! Why?" and I put it back on them. I get some interesting and funny answers that way, or some of them will tell me, "BECAUSE!" "Because, why?" "Just because!" ::

Comment

If they say why just to say why, I shrug my shoulders & walk away. They want a reaction & I don't give it to them.

Comment

"Why is he outside?" :confused:

"Because go play toys...."

"Why play toys?" :confused:

** Of course free play is the time I get this the most...

Getting them to go play toys is the goal during this time. Science Circle Time is when Mrs. Cat Herder likes to get her "Why's" on.
        - Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Cat Herder View Post
          "Why is he outside?" :confused:

"Why play toys?" :confused:

** Of course free play is the time I get this the most...

Getting them to go play toys is the goal during this time. Science Circle Time is when Mrs. Cat Herder likes to get her "Why's" on.
          :: This made me laugh.

Comment

"What do YOU think?"

Comment

I use "you tell me". Why is it raining....you tell me. Then they use their imagination and come up with some pretty cool ideas. When we read books I try to incorporate their explanations into the story and they think it's really silly which encourages them to answer more questions later.

Comment

Originally posted by daycarediva View Post
                "What do YOU think?"
                For every "Why?" I get this ^^^ is the response they get.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post
                  For every "Why?" I get this ^^^ is the response they get.
                  Exactly. I even use this on my teenagers.

Comment

Originally posted by coolconfidentme View Post
                    If they say why just to say why, I shrug my shoulders & walk away. They want a reaction & I don't give it to them.
                    My 19 year old gets this treatment. :: It is usually proceeded by a request for cash or my car.

I always answer the DCK's "why?" Questions though. But I have a 3 "Why?" limit.

Comment

It depends on the why behind the why. Genuine, appropriate curiosity? Okay.
                      Doing it out of boredom, or as a means to be disrespectful and rude? Not okay. So a child who is "whying" me to death would get a "go play toys" or a
                      "I am all done, go play!"

Comment

For me right now from my 2 1/2 yr old to every answer I give her ... "what" It doesn't happen how many times I repeat it... I have started replying with "what"

Comment

I usually answer the first 5 "why's" then I start answering back "Z". Especially, when I tell them it's time for lunch and dcb who is 2 will ask why...Drives me bananas!

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSteinel'sHouse View Post
                            For me right now from my 2 1/2 yr old to every answer I give her ... "what" It doesn't happen how many times I repeat it... I have started replying with "what"
                            Ugh, I don't get the "whys" either, I too get the "whats" from a 3 yo dcg. It drives me crazy! I usually say never mind if it isn't important.
                            I'm going to try saying "what" back..

Comment

Working...
                            X