No announcement yet.

What to do With a Special Needs...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would never term based on the child being special needs however there are 2 major issues-not telling you about an inhaler and the baby crying so much. I would let them know that since they didn't let you know about the inhaler that you need a medical form from his doctor and you would like permission to be able to speak to the doctor so you can provide the best care.

This can be a slippery slope so cover your bases. I'd be concerned they didn't tell you about an inhaler. That's negligent parenting in my opinion.

Comment

An inhaler for a baby?
      http://www.amazon.com/Daycare-Whispe...=doing+daycare

Comment

Originally posted by nannyde View Post
        An inhaler for a baby?
        Inhalers are the new Amoxicillan. They seem to be prescribed for EVERYTHING.

Comment

Originally posted by nannyde View Post
          An inhaler for a baby?
          Yeah, I'd like to see anyone administer that!

Comment

Baby's can have inhalers. My daughter did as a baby and still does. They are administered with an aero chamber with a face mask. Of course it's not easy but it's doable. In the PICU we have little ones on preventative inhalers also.

You can't exclude JUST because the kid is special needs.

HOWEVER, if you are UNABLE to provide adequate or appropriate care, you can term without discrimination.

(1) lying about medical issues is a hugeeeee red flag and one I will and have termed for

(2) withholding information about medications

(3) the excessive crying defines "not a good fit"

"Dear dcm, after careful thought and consideration I am giving notice to end care due the fact I feel I'm not a good fit for your children. Your last day of care is xxxxx. I wish you luck in finding the right daycare to fit the needs of you and your children "

Signed dcp

End of story.

Comment

That's a new one on me. I've seen nebulizers with masks, and inhalers with chambers. But never an inhaler with a mask.

Edited to add this link: http://www.nationwidechildrens.org/h...pacer-and-mask
              that shows a mask spacer being used with an inhaler.

Comment

My daughter was on an inhaler at 5 weeks. She was premature and had RSV which developed into asthma. Like a pp said you just attach an aerochamber and they breath it in through that.

Interesting that 10 years ago when my daughter needed the inhaler I had to special order the smallest aerochamber for her and now they are available over the counter at the pharmacy.

Comment

Originally posted by Wednesday View Post
                  Yes and there are varying degrees of downs. It's like a spectrum similar to autism.
                  I've never heard anything like this....:confused:

People with Down syndrome have 47 chromosomes instead of the usual 46.

I don't see any variation there. You either have 47 chromosomes or you don't.

EACH child can have different levels of development but I don't think that has anything to do with Downs...just development.
                  Which IS different for every child.

There ARE 3 different types of Down Syndrome, they are - Full Trisomy 21, Mosaic DS and Translocation DS. Full Trisomy 21 is where all the cells have a third 21st chromosome in them.

Mosaic DS is where there are two cell lines. Meaning, there are some cells that have the normal 46 chromosomes and there are some cells that have an extra 21st chromosome to them, making 47 chromosomes. Thus, that is where the mosaic pattern comes from.

Translocation DS is where part or all of the third 21st chromosome is Translocated to another chromosome, usually chromosome 14. This only occurs in about 3-5% of the DS population.

Is that ^^ the differing degrees you are referring to?

Comment

Originally posted by SignMeUp View Post
                    That's a new one on me. I've seen nebulizers with masks, and inhalers with chambers. But never an inhaler with a mask.

Edited to add this link: http://www.nationwidechildrens.org/h...pacer-and-mask
                    that shows a mask spacer being used with an inhaler.
                    One of my dcb's has one of these. He's had it since he was a baby-he is now almost 2. Also, about 5 years ago, I had a dck who had one too.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post
                      I've never heard anything like this....:confused:

People with Down syndrome have 47 chromosomes instead of the usual 46.

I don't see any variation there. You either have 47 chromosomes or you don't.

EACH child can have different levels of development but I don't think that has anything to do with Downs...just development.
                      Which IS different for every child.

There ARE 3 different types of Down Syndrome, they are - Full Trisomy 21, Mosaic DS and Translocation DS. Full Trisomy 21 is where all the cells have a third 21st chromosome in them.

Mosaic DS is where there are two cell lines. Meaning, there are some cells that have the normal 46 chromosomes and there are some cells that have an extra 21st chromosome to them, making 47 chromosomes. Thus, that is where the mosaic pattern comes from.

Translocation DS is where part or all of the third 21st chromosome is Translocated to another chromosome, usually chromosome 14. This only occurs in about 3-5% of the DS population.

Is that ^^ the differing degrees you are referring to?
                      I'm guessing she meant as far as the development.

As for the inhaler, my dd was given one with a chamber mask when she was about 6 months. She had multiple lung infections and will most likely receive an asthma diagnoses (she's 2 1/2). The inhaler for her was only when she had a cold and it was every 4-6 hours. She's in my care, but I was given a medical form to give to her daycare/school. It explained when to use the inhaler & how to, plus that it was only when she showed symptoms of a cold & cough.

A parent 'forgetting' to mention an inhaler would be enough for me to terminate. That's not something you forget! I have a dck in my care that started at 2 and before enrolling his parents had a meeting w me about when to use the inhaler and how to.

Comment

Originally posted by melilley View Post
                        One of my dcb's has one of these. He's had it since he was a baby-he is now almost 2. Also, about 5 years ago, I had a dck who had one too.
                        I'm glad to know about this. I have had no recent chronic asthma kids. The one who has an occasional problem stays home when she needs nebulizing.

I'm really curious if the inhaler/mask are effective for little kids. For my own child, we always found that nebulizing was more effective than the inhaler if child was really sick. For maintenance, the inhaler was okay. Child used a spacer with a chamber that deflated as the medication was inhaled, and whistled if breathed in too quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by SignMeUp View Post
                          I'm glad to know about this. I have had no recent chronic asthma kids. The one who has an occasional problem stays home when she needs nebulizing.

I'm really curious if the inhaler/mask are effective for little kids. For my own child, we always found that nebulizing was more effective than the inhaler if child was really sick. For maintenance, the inhaler was okay. Child used a spacer with a chamber that deflated as the medication was inhaled, and whistled if breathed in too quickly.
                          I'm not too sure. The dcb that I have needed to use his off and on. I honestly, most of the time, could never tell if he needed it, his parents would tell me when he needed it. They called it his rescue inhaler. He had a nebulizer at home too.

Comment

Working...
                          X