DCF at 10pm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DCF at 10pm

I started a new little 6 month old little girl on Monday. Everything seemed ok to me. She didn't come yesterday because her dad had the day off. Last night my phone rings at 9:45 and I send it to voice mail. When I listen to the message it is from a DCF investigator needing to talk to me about the little girl. I freaked out thinking that something must have happened to the baby and they were blaming me. Thankfully the woman answered the phone when I called back. She told me that they were investigating the family, but could not give me any details. She assured me that I had done nothing wrong, and if I was in the childcare business long, I would get used to these calls. Today the little girl doesn't come again. Her mom texts me to let me know she will be here tomorrow.

I'm kinda freaked out about accepting her back. I have no idea what the allegation actually was, but I'm sure if they are calling me at 10pm it's not a routine investigation. The parents paid for a full week on Monday. What would you guys do? I've only been in business since the beginning of the year. The last thing I need is some new family bringing DCF to my door! I've been incredibly lucky that both of my current babies have amazing parents.

I think this sounds rather suspect. What did the woman ask you? How do you know she was who she said she was? Is it normal for someone like that to call that late at night? Makes me wonder what really is going on.

Comment

When I first called back I went to a DCF answering machine saying that they are closed and the hours to contact them. As soon as I hung up the woman called me right back from that number, so I'm pretty sure that it was legit.

She asked me who had dropped the baby off and picked her up. How the baby reacted to being dropped off and picked up. If I saw any injuries, including bruises or scratches. If she had a diaper rash. If she was dressed appropriately and if they provided enough formula, diapers, etc.

I only had the little girl for 10 hours, one day. I have no idea what her life is normally like, but during those 10 hours I saw nothing troubling.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemykidstoo View Post
        I think this sounds rather suspect. What did the woman ask you? How do you know she was who she said she was? Is it normal for someone like that to call that late at night? Makes me wonder what really is going on.
        I'm sketchy about this too. Maybe it's valid, but I don't see why they would call you that late. Maybe it's someone who wants some dirt on dcm, putting on an act to be DCF?

I would be sure that's who you are actually talking to before giving out any info

Comment

Tell the mom they called and ask why.
          http://www.amazon.com/Daycare-Whispe...=doing+daycare

Comment

I asked the mom this morning if everything was ok with the baby and she told me that there had been a false allegation when the baby was a couple of months old, which DCF never substantiated, and they were just talking to other adults that had been around the baby so that they could clear them and let them get on with their lives.

I might believe that. I have heard that DCF can wreak havoc on a family's life because of a false accusation. It's the 10pm call that makes me think something is not right.

Comment

Originally posted by angelw2babies View Post
              When I first called back I went to a DCF answering machine saying that they are closed and the hours to contact them. As soon as I hung up the woman called me right back from that number, so I'm pretty sure that it was legit.

She asked me who had dropped the baby off and picked her up. How the baby reacted to being dropped off and picked up. If I saw any injuries, including bruises or scratches. If she had a diaper rash. If she was dressed appropriately and if they provided enough formula, diapers, etc.

I only had the little girl for 10 hours, one day. I have no idea what her life is normally like, but during those 10 hours I saw nothing troubling.
              Must have been posting at the same time

Was she at a previous daycare? Maybe they reported something

Comment

I would never give info out over the phone about anyone, especially a dcfamily. If they are who they say they are they show up at your door with ID for initial contact.
                I see little people.

Comment

I would look up your local DCP phone number and call it and ask to speak to the person you spoke with last night. Explain to them that you find it odd to get a call at 10pm.

Comment

I started a new little 6 month old little girl on Monday. Everything seemed ok to me. She didn't come yesterday because her dad had the day off. Last night my phone rings at 9:45 and I send it to voice mail. When I listen to the message it is from a DCF investigator needing to talk to me about the little girl. I freaked out thinking that something must have happened to the baby and they were blaming me. Thankfully the woman answered the phone when I called back. She told me that they were investigating the family, but could not give me any details. She assured me that I had done nothing wrong, and if I was in the childcare business long, I would get used to these calls. Today the little girl doesn't come again. Her mom texts me to let me know she will be here tomorrow.

I'm kinda freaked out about accepting her back. I have no idea what the allegation actually was, but I'm sure if they are calling me at 10pm it's not a routine investigation. The parents paid for a full week on Monday. What would you guys do? I've only been in business since the beginning of the year. The last thing I need is some new family bringing DCF to my door! I've been incredibly lucky that both of my current babies have amazing parents.
                    In the future, I would tell anyone calling from DCF that you cannot discuss clients over the phone with someone who has not proven their credentials. Invite them to drop by at some convenient time to show you their credentials and that after that you will be happy to cooperate.

Comment

They do come &/or call that late at night in my state, Indiana. I use to be a state police officer & work in the child neglect/abuse division.

Comment

Originally posted by Childminder View Post
                        I would never give info out over the phone about anyone, especially a dcfamily. If they are who they say they are they show up at your door with ID for initial contact.
                        Yes, definately.

Comment

I called and confirmed that she is actually with DCF. I didn't speak with her directly, but the receptionist said that the investigators are trying to juggle so many cases that they can't always complete things during normal business hours. It is common practice to contact home daycares after hours because someone will be more likely be able to talk to them, as opposed to a center that is only available during business hours. I guess it does make sense.

Thankfully I didn't have any information to give anyone! I definitely would have refused to answer questions if they was anything at all to tell.

Comment

Originally posted by debbiedoeszip View Post
                            In the future, I would tell anyone calling from DCF that you cannot discuss clients over the phone with someone who has not proven their credentials. Invite them to drop by at some convenient time to show you their credentials and that after that you will be happy to cooperate.
                            I agree.

Originally posted by coolconfidentme View Post
                            They do come &/or call that late at night in my state, Indiana. I use to be a state police officer & work in the child neglect/abuse division.
                            Here, too... I had one family under investigation in my care and the caseworker would often call me around 8-9pm.

Comment

I asked the mom this morning if everything was ok with the baby and she told me that there had been a false allegation when the baby was a couple of months old, which DCF never substantiated, and they were just talking to other adults that had been around the baby so that they could clear them and let them get on with their lives.

I might believe that. I have heard that DCF can wreak havoc on a family's life because of a false accusation. It's the 10pm call that makes me think something is not right.
                              Oh bull

They aren't going to call at ten at night to wrap up a case.
                              http://www.amazon.com/Daycare-Whispe...=doing+daycare

Comment

Working...
                              X