Anyone That Accepts State Assistance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone That Accepts State Assistance

I live in Michigan, so I don't know if this varies by state. I'm sure it does. I just took a call from someone that has 2 18 month old boys that she needs care for. She will be doing state-aid. How does that work? I know that I charge $70 per day for 2 kids and the state pays hourly. She will make up the difference is that correct? Is it only if she's working or going to school? She sells things on Ebay so she just wants time to do that. I'm not sure if they're going to let her do that. She's going to call and find out today. She has 4 kids and lives with her parents. The other 2 will be in school.

I currently don't have any kids on state assistance yet but if I'm not mistaken the parent needs to be working or in school.

Comment

Originally posted by Luvnmykidz View Post
      I currently don't have any kids on state assistance yet but if I'm not mistaken the parent needs to be working or in school.
      That's what I thought too. I wonder if being a seller on Ebay qualifies. I doubt it because I think the employer has to confirm hours right? Although I know a couple of people that make really good money doing that for a living.

Comment

It could count as self employed but it may not qualify her for state assistance depending on the laws surrounding it and she might have to pick up another job or go to school to qualify.

Comment

I live in Mi and have accepted DHs in the past. I have learned a lot in the last year and have changed many policies in regards to families that get help from DHS. Parent needs to be AT approved activity (no drive time allowed to be claimed). If State allows selling "E-bay items" as an approved activity, then that's great! But find out FIRST. Call someone and make 100% sure. I now have parents pay all tuition and when I get the check (deposit) from the state then it comes off of their next weeks invoice. I now require parents to give me a copy of their schedules from their work since this is what DHS suggested and since I am on 6 month probation for claiming hours that mom was not at work (I did not know mom was not at work). They did an investigation on the parents hours and she was not at work when she said she was.

Comment

Originally posted by rebekki78 View Post
            I live in Mi and have accepted DHs in the past. I have learned a lot in the last year and have changed many policies in regards to families that get help from DHS. Parent needs to be AT approved activity (no drive time allowed to be claimed). If State allows selling "E-bay items" as an approved activity, then that's great! But find out FIRST. Call someone and make 100% sure. I now have parents pay all tuition and when I get the check (deposit) from the state then it comes off of their next weeks invoice. I now require parents to give me a copy of their schedules from their work since this is what DHS suggested and since I am on 6 month probation for claiming hours that mom was not at work (I did not know mom was not at work). They did an investigation on the parents hours and she was not at work when she said she was.
            I haven't heard back from her yet. I'm assuming she called them yesterday and they said no way to the ebay sales. I really can't imagine the state paying for childcare for someone that does ebay.

What do you mean that you are on a 6 month probation? So you got in trouble because she lied to you and to the state about her working?

Comment

Originally posted by lovemykidstoo View Post
              I haven't heard back from her yet. I'm assuming she called them yesterday and they said no way to the ebay sales. I really can't imagine the state paying for childcare for someone that does ebay.

What do you mean that you are on a 6 month probation? So you got in trouble because she lied to you and to the state about her working?
              If I get another write up in the next 6 months then I am either on a longer probation period or not able to accept payments from DHS. And yes , I got in trouble because she wasn't at work and I claimed. That's why I now require work schedules. I felt at first that perhaps this is an invasion of a persons privacy in a way, but there is just no other way around it. I would rather the parents bring the children, pay the tuition, and PARENT gets reimbursed from the State.

Comment

Originally posted by rebekki78 View Post
                If I get another write up in the next 6 months then I am either on a longer probation period or not able to accept payments from DHS. And yes , I got in trouble because she wasn't at work and I claimed. That's why I now require work schedules. I felt at first that perhaps this is an invasion of a persons privacy in a way, but there is just no other way around it. I would rather the parents bring the children, pay the tuition, and PARENT gets reimbursed from the State.
                I think that it's ridiculous that you got in trouble for her trying to screw the state. So you can do that? Have them pay the tuition and then they get reimbursed?

Comment

Working...
                X