Those of You Who Are Familiar with Asthma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Those of You Who Are Familiar with Asthma

I have a fairly new dcb-2 (it's been about a month since he started coming). Dcm said at the beginning that he has some mild asthma and they give him Zyrtec in the mornings. If it becomes severe, then they have an inhaler for him.

Well the first 3 weeks he was fine, no issues whatsoever. About a week and a half ago, he came with cold-like symptoms (very runny nose, mild cough and sneezing). Over the course of last week, the clear runny nose turned into dark green thick mucus and the cough became more pronounced. He sounded really stuffy. On Friday, he was sent home with a 101.5 fever.

Fast forward to this week and the fever seems to be gone, but the nasal discharge is thicker and his cough sounds really terrible. He coughs throughout the day, even during nap. He also has a constant rattling noise when he breaths in and out. He just sounds so congested and miserable.

Is there anything I should suggest to the parents? I guess I'm most concerned about the rattling noise. I don't normally exclude for cold symptoms unless it includes fever, an inability to participate, a huge change in personality, diarrhea, vomiting, etc.

I don't have any experience with asthma so I'm unsure if this is simply aggravated allergies or a cold or if it's progressed to something worse.

Coughing CAN mean that they need a nebulizer/inhaler treatment. My ds's (2 of them) have asthma and colds, even mild ones cause it to flare up. Both of their inhalers indicate use when wheezy or severe cough.

Can you tell if the noise is from his nasal passage or his chest? I'd put an ear to his back and see if you can hear lung congestion.

I would ask the parents if they would give the inhaler for the cough, and voice my concerns about it at the very least.

Comment

Originally posted by daycarediva View Post
      Coughing CAN mean that they need a nebulizer/inhaler treatment. My ds's (2 of them) have asthma and colds, even mild ones cause it to flare up. Both of their inhalers indicate use when wheezy or severe cough.

Can you tell if the noise is from his nasal passage or his chest? I'd put an ear to his back and see if you can hear lung congestion.

I would ask the parents if they would give the inhaler for the cough, and voice my concerns about it at the very least.
      I listened to his back and there is definitely rattling coming from his chest.

Comment

Can you give him an inhaler? I would if I was able to hear it in his chest. Poor dude.

Comment

I don't allow anyone with a cold/cough or congestion to go more than 5 consecutive days with symptoms without a Dr's visit just to check.

If he has had these symptoms AND has asthma, I would ask mom/dad to have him checked out just to be on the safe side.

The rattling in my DCK that has asthma can get pretty bad but the mother is an RN so she has in checked out pretty regularly as she said asthma can make a common cold symptoms progress rapidly.

Comment

When my son had asthma if he got sick from a cold it usually would become bronchitis because of it. At that point inhalers didn't help he need a nebulizer treatment. A lot more medicine gets deeper into the lungs with a nebulizer. We learned anytime he started wheezing to go to nebulizer treatment s until he got better.

Comment

Yeah this is my newest dcb. Everything started really great with the parents but I feel like there is a big decline all of a sudden. Dcb has a problem with aggression and so I sent an email this weekend stating that things need to change. It's one thing with the other children, but he hits and kicks me too, which I find totally inappropriate. One time last week he kicked me so hard in front of one of the parents it literally pained my knee (I thought it was going to leave a bruise!). Hello....I'm pregnant!? Parents of course don't respond to the email.

Last week when I called for pick up for the fever, it took 45 minutes to get a hold of them. Both moms don't pick up their phone or respond to the texts. Dcm #1's work phone number is an invalid number and Dcm #2 doesn't have a work number listed. Their emergency contacts include someone in California and a roommate. The roommate picks up but says she can't pick up because she has an appointment. Finally, dcm #2 texts back 45 minutes later stating she is coming....sorry, she was in a meeting. She works an hour away. So yeah, a little frustrating. Of course, when asked how he was this weekend, dcm says "Oh yeah, probably teething. We gave some medicine and the fever never returned."

The parents do care about stuff...they gave a ton of ceramic things for the kids to paint. Dcm #1 is especially friendly and chatty. Dcb does love to give me hugs and is fun-loving. I'm just starting to doubt my decision to take him.

Originally posted by daycarediva View Post
              Can you give him an inhaler? I would if I was able to hear it in his chest. Poor dude.
              The parents never supplied me with an inhaler, so no .

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post
              I don't allow anyone with a cold/cough or congestion to go more than 5 consecutive days with symptoms without a Dr's visit just to check.

If he has had these symptoms AND has asthma, I would ask mom/dad to have him checked out just to be on the safe side.

The rattling in my DCK that has asthma can get pretty bad but the mother is an RN so she has in checked out pretty regularly as she said asthma can make a common cold symptoms progress rapidly.
              I will give them a text to tell them that it's looking like he might need an appointment.

Originally posted by racemom View Post
              When my son had asthma if he got sick from a cold it usually would become bronchitis because of it. At that point inhalers didn't help he need a nebulizer treatment. A lot more medicine gets deeper into the lungs with a nebulizer. We learned anytime he started wheezing to go to nebulizer treatment s until he got better.
              Ugh I hope it's not getting to that point!

Comment

I would have him seen and get a note from the doctor. My son has asthma and I've had 2 DCBs with it as well. Fever followed by cold-like symptoms can easily turn into pneumonia or bronchitis. She needs to have her dr write you a letter or sign a provided note regarding his illness. Asthma doesn't cause thick mucous in the nose or fever, that's an illness. Add to that having asthma and it could be more serious. I would also have a note to use and extra inhaler at your DC.

Comment

Originally posted by TwinKristi View Post
                  . Asthma doesn't cause thick mucous in the nose or fever, that's an illness. Add to that having asthma and it could be more serious. I would also have a note to use and extra inhaler at your DC.
                  exactly .

Comment

Working...
                  X