Time to Let Daycare Go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time to Let Daycare Go?

I've wanted to do daycare for as long as I can remember . My dream finally came true when my second child was about 10 months.
    About my son; I knew something was "off" when he was just a few months . He didn't seem to recognize me , we thought for a long time he was deaf (we now know he definitely is not ) . He always had a blank stair. As he got older he was diagnosed with hypotonia accompanied by global development delay. He started seeing an O.T. in our home every week. As he got older he became more social with people . He started smiling and seemed like a happy baby. About 10 months he could sit up, about 12 months he could crawl and about 17 months he started walking!
    Now like I had mentioned I started daycare when he was about 10 months . I had no problems and he seemed to enjoy the other kids being there. But at about 18 months something changed. He became very fussy , angry and aggressive towards the other children. I have spoke with his ot , and his dr. I have read and googled everything. I thought as he got older the behaivior would stop but now that he's three it's only became worse.
    We also know that he has sensory issues as well. We purchased a new home with a room just for daycare and a seperate room he can go to when he needs to calm down but that's not working anymore either.
    I am at a loss , I don't know what to do??

The average Parenting provider starts when their second child comes and quits at or around the two year mark. Your timeline is very common.

If he is a threat to the kids you need to quit until he goes to school full time.

Good luck. Parenting is tough. One day at a time.
    http://www.amazon.com/Daycare-Whispe...=doing+daycare

Comment

The way I see it, you have several options...

1. Stop doing daycare and enroll your child in a special needs daycare. Would he do better there? Worse?

2. Stop doing daycare and hire a nanny. Is it affordable? Will the nanny be trained to help him with his particular needs?

3. Continue doing daycare in your home and hire a helper to be one-on-one with him.

4. Stop doing daycare and find other ways to earn money or cut back and try to make it without your income.

However, I do think you need to do something. He can't hurt the other children, and it's not good for him either.

Comment

How many kids do you have now? He reminds me of my own almost 4 y/o. He also has sensory issues and it's really hard at times. Things got better when I went from having 6 kids to just 3, it was so nice. Now for the summer I'm full again and it's like if he has regressed. Sometimes he will remove himself and go to another room, sometimes he'll hurt other kids so it is something that requires constant monitoring and a lot of effort. I've been so stressed since the summer started, made the desicion of not taking more than 3 kids at a time. It might be tough financially, but it is best for him and for my own sanity. Can't wait for the summer to be over.

Comment

Originally posted by preschoolteacher View Post
          The way I see it, you have several options...

1. Stop doing daycare and enroll your child in a special needs daycare. Would he do better there? Worse?

2. Stop doing daycare and hire a nanny. Is it affordable? Will the nanny be trained to help him with his particular needs?

3. Continue doing daycare in your home and hire a helper to be one-on-one with him.

4. Stop doing daycare and find other ways to earn money or cut back and try to make it without your income.

However, I do think you need to do something. He can't hurt the other children, and it's not good for him either.

with all of his diagnoses, I am surprised he isn't receiving more therapy. Does he qualify for early intervention? PT, ST and behavioral therapy work wonders. If speech is delayed, he could be aggressive from frustration. What are his sensory triggers? noise? a particular child? Biting can be redirected to chewelry.

I would hire an assistant to be 1:1 with him to see if it helps.

Comment

Now that he's three he doesn't receive services in the summer . Otherwise he sees an ot and yes he is also in speech although his speech has increased a lot over the past several months . I'm still trying to figure out what his triggers are but one thing I've caught on to is he bites himself before he goes to do something

Comment

Many special needs schools are year round. Can you look at some private special needs schools? Many times the public school system will pay the tuition and transportation for this if your child's needs are not being met with in the public system.

Comment

Originally posted by hope View Post
                Many special needs schools are year round. Can you look at some private special needs schools? Many times the public school system will pay the tuition and transportation for this if your child's needs are not being met with in the public system.
                I should also add that many of these private schools have their own attorneys to help you ask for funding from the public school system. Don't be fooled and talk with the public school first. Just start touring the private schools and they will help and take care of everything.

Comment

I'm not sure if there's anything like that around here (small town) but ill look into it, thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                    I'm not sure if there's anything like that around here (small town) but ill look into it, thanks
                    If you want to post your state/area, there may be a provider on the forum that has resources to offer you.

Comment

Your story has a lot in common with my story! My daughter is 6 and is autistic, I have been strut going with her since she was a year old. I would love to talk to you more privately if you are willing! You can message me on here or email me.
                      mountainside1313 @ yahoo. com

Comment

Working...
                      X