Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Do You Do When The Kids Stop Playing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Do You Do When The Kids Stop Playing?

I have an infant and then 4 two year old DCBs.
    Normally, they all play very well independently. I never have problems with them not playing. Until this week... All of a sudden they won't play. All week they have been climbing on shelves, rough housing, running in circles, throwing toys, basically doing everything that they are not allowed to do.

When this happens to you, what do you do?
    I'm thinking of getting a couple new toys (maybe a wooden train set?)

I think that sometimes the do get bored with the toys that are out all the time. I have some toys that I put out and get out when this happens; it works miracles. They will usually sit down and play for a while!

My local Office Of Young Children has these explorer boxes that we can check out that are filled with activities for the kids and they keep my kids busy every time I get them. They like to see and play with the "new" toys!

Comment

Originally posted by melilley View Post
      I think that sometimes the do get bored with the toys that are out all the time. I have some toys that I put out and get out when this happens; it works miracles. They will usually sit down and play for a while!

My local Office Of Young Children has these explorer boxes that we can check out that are filled with activities for the kids and they keep my kids busy every time I get them. They like to see and play with the "new" toys!
      Yeah I'm thinking they are bored. I have have enough toys to rotate yet so I'm thinking of getting a couple new things that will keep them busy.

Comment

Originally posted by jenboo View Post
        Yeah I'm thinking they are bored. I have have enough toys to rotate yet so I'm thinking of getting a couple new things that will keep them busy.
        I don't really have a lot to rotate, only 2 or 3 little bins, but they always love it when I get them out. My kids are 2.5 and under (except for 1 p/t 3 yo) and they will actually sit at the table and play for a while! I have a Mr. Potato head set that I get out when they seem bored and they sit there forever!

Play doh has saved me from chaos a few times too, also sensory activities!

Comment

My train set is every kids favorite here! I like to rotate toys. I keep some up on high shelves or away in storage and the fewer toys out the more they seem appealing. Some of the best play days are the days that I clean out the current toys in order to bring out the next rotation. They suddenly want to play with certain toys they haven't touched in ages bc they are going away or they just haven't noticed them before. Try to clean or reorganize and they may change.

Comment

Rotate toys.

I rotate toys 3-4 times a year.

Every time I do, the kids act like I bought all brand new toys.

Seems none of them remember they played with them before.

I am guessing it's because the last time specific toys were out/available, they were at a different place developmentally so they played differently.

Rotating toys definitely eliminates the boredom and behavior issues associated with boredom.

Comment

Great advice everyone!! I've been open since sept. I have taken a couple things out since then that I can rotate back in. I have also bought a few things since I opened. I'll look for some stuff this weekend to replace some of the old stuff. I'm building my stash so that I can do rotations.

Comment

Originally posted by jenboo View Post
                Great advice everyone!! I've been open since sept. I have taken a couple things out since then that I can rotate back in. I have also bought a few things since I opened. I'll look for some stuff this weekend to replace some of the old stuff. I'm building my stash so that I can do rotations.
                Rearrange the room if possible too.

Sometimes just flip flopping a few things makes the environment appear COMPLETELY different.

Comment

Another thing to try, in case your schedule is lax because of summer:
                  Alternate activities initiated by you, and free play.
                  So, bring out playdough and get them started. Stick close and comment on what they're doing. Then free play.
                  Read a book or a few books, along with a little conversation. Then free play.
                  Do a craft project, even a very loose, open-ended one like gluing tissue paper, or BlackCat's masking tape :: Then free play.

Sometimes we get so out of schedule in the summer that we need a reset to normal school year activity for a bit. I love the loose routine we have in summer, and so do the kids, but sometimes they need just a bit more. We do a reset day every few days, and all is good again (And then we get all "off" again )

Comment

Originally posted by SignMeUp View Post
                    Another thing to try, in case your schedule is lax because of summer:
                    Alternate activities initiated by you, and free play.
                    So, bring out playdough and get them started. Stick close and comment on what they're doing. Then free play.
                    Read a book or a few books, along with a little conversation. Then free play.
                    Do a craft project, even a very loose, open-ended one like gluing tissue paper, or BlackCat's masking tape :: Then free play.

Sometimes we get so out of schedule in the summer that we need a reset to normal school year activity for a bit. I love the loose routine we have in summer, and so do the kids, but sometimes they need just a bit more. We do a reset day every few days, and all is good again (And then we get all "off" again )
                    Great advice! But our schedule is still the same

Comment

Yes rotate!

And yes a train set! My dcks are 2's and 3's and the last couple months the favorite is the train set! Although they don't use the track, they make their own track out of our wooden blocks, all lined up throughout the playroom!

Comment

Working...
                      X