A No Toy Week??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A No Toy Week??

As most of you know, I run a preschool 3 hrs/day 4 days/week. I wanted to try an experiment the week of December 13th (their last week before a 3-week break). I want to have a no toy week. I will have available containers, boxes, some art materials, blankets, pillows, preschool-made books and other materials from around the house. Here is my letter to parents about it:

During free play on Thursday, I watched the children play with just 2 large storage baskets for over 45 minutes. They were climbing in them, dragging each other around and putting them on their heads. I started thinking about what children did years ago before toys were mass produced and before their parents had the means to purchase toys. Now our children are surrounded not only by an abundance of toys, but expensive toys. And toys that DO everything for them. Instead of opening children's minds, many toys today can only be played with in one pre-determined way decided by a manufacturer, not a child.

So, in revolt () I've decided to have a NO TOY week at preschool. When your child arrives on Monday (or Tuesday) next week they will find no toys in the playroom, none in my livingroom and none outside. That's right, NO TOYS!

How will we manage? Instead of toys, I will supply an abundance of everyday and recyclable materials: baskets, boxes, tubing, ribbons, packing materials, pillows, blankets, fabric scraps and several other items from around the house. The children will be encouraged to use their imaginations. If they want to play with a train, they can use boxes to be the train. Or they can draw a train. Or they can use people to be a train. The point is, they will have to figure out how to do it. I will encourage and support, but won't do it for them.

Really, no toys? Ok, I'm keeping in our wooden block set (it's homemade so I figure it's okay...hahaha), crayons, glue, paper, and other art materials so that we can make our own toys if we desire. We'll probably also have several balls available as those are difficult to reproduce from everyday materials and are a wonderful open-ended material that can be played with in a multitude of ways.

How can you help? In addition to NO TOYS, we will have no books! I know, I know, books are important for children's understanding of the world, and their language skills and social skills. I will have book-making materials available to the children all week and I'd like you to work with your child to make a few books for the preschool.

You can pick up all of your book-making supplies at preschool. You and your child can make as many as you'd like.

Book-making suggestions:

1. Follow your child's lead.

2. Don't do it for them!

3. Use simple materials. Allow them to use crayons, markers, paint, whatever (but please, no stickers, glitter paints, sequins etc.).

4. If they want to make a 3-d book, they might use yarn, popsicle sticks, cut up boxes, cotton balls, etc. Whatever you can find around your house.

5. Older kids might tell a story about what they are drawing, feel free to write it on the book.

6. Make sure that you (or the child) puts their name on it.

I will be sure to take a lot of photos and let you know how the week goes!! I've never done this before, so I can't wait to see the results!

This is manageable, right? Do you have any other suggestions for what I should make available to the children? Any other ideas on how the parents can help (they really like to be involved)? Yikes...I can do this, right??

Would it be OK...

if I steal that idea to try????

I like that alot! I've watched kids spend hours playing with different sized boxes and laundry baskets! We once spent from 8:30am-12:30pm playing with a refridgerator box! That was the coolest box ever and we had it in the daycare room for about 3 months.

Good times!

I always joke with my dcps about saving money and just giving their kids boxes for x-mas!

Comment

this is genius. quite simply and to the point. YOU ARE MY HERO,.. my inspiration and wow,... I am so incredibly excited to hear how it goes. May I borrow your idea and tweak it for our needs? we have 10 kids 6 wks to 4 yrs,... and they are here for 8-10 hours. So I think a whole week is asking too much. But,.. I am thinking tuesdays and thursdays of limiting the items allowed. everything here is put away daily so limiting it isnt a problem. but wow,.. I am so ready to jump on board.

Originally posted by kendallina View Post
      As most of you know, I run a preschool 3 hrs/day 4 days/week. I wanted to try an experiment the week of December 13th (their last week before a 3-week break). I want to have a no toy week. I will have available containers, boxes, some art materials, blankets, pillows, preschool-made books and other materials from around the house. Here is my letter to parents about it:

During free play on Thursday, I watched the children play with just 2 large storage baskets for over 45 minutes. They were climbing in them, dragging each other around and putting them on their heads. I started thinking about what children did years ago before toys were mass produced and before their parents had the means to purchase toys. Now our children are surrounded not only by an abundance of toys, but expensive toys. And toys that DO everything for them. Instead of opening children's minds, many toys today can only be played with in one pre-determined way decided by a manufacturer, not a child.

So, in revolt () I've decided to have a NO TOY week at preschool. When your child arrives on Monday (or Tuesday) next week they will find no toys in the playroom, none in my livingroom and none outside. That's right, NO TOYS!

How will we manage? Instead of toys, I will supply an abundance of everyday and recyclable materials: baskets, boxes, tubing, ribbons, packing materials, pillows, blankets, fabric scraps and several other items from around the house. The children will be encouraged to use their imaginations. If they want to play with a train, they can use boxes to be the train. Or they can draw a train. Or they can use people to be a train. The point is, they will have to figure out how to do it. I will encourage and support, but won't do it for them.

Really, no toys? Ok, I'm keeping in our wooden block set (it's homemade so I figure it's okay...hahaha), crayons, glue, paper, and other art materials so that we can make our own toys if we desire. We'll probably also have several balls available as those are difficult to reproduce from everyday materials and are a wonderful open-ended material that can be played with in a multitude of ways.

How can you help? In addition to NO TOYS, we will have no books! I know, I know, books are important for children's understanding of the world, and their language skills and social skills. I will have book-making materials available to the children all week and I'd like you to work with your child to make a few books for the preschool.

You can pick up all of your book-making supplies at preschool. You and your child can make as many as you'd like.

Book-making suggestions:

1. Follow your child's lead.

2. Don't do it for them!

3. Use simple materials. Allow them to use crayons, markers, paint, whatever (but please, no stickers, glitter paints, sequins etc.).

4. If they want to make a 3-d book, they might use yarn, popsicle sticks, cut up boxes, cotton balls, etc. Whatever you can find around your house.

5. Older kids might tell a story about what they are drawing, feel free to write it on the book.

6. Make sure that you (or the child) puts their name on it.

I will be sure to take a lot of photos and let you know how the week goes!! I've never done this before, so I can't wait to see the results!

This is manageable, right? Do you have any other suggestions for what I should make available to the children? Any other ideas on how the parents can help (they really like to be involved)? Yikes...I can do this, right??

Comment

Originally posted by laundrymom View Post
        this is genius. quite simply and to the point. YOU ARE MY HERO,.. my inspiration and wow,... I am so incredibly excited to hear how it goes. May I borrow your idea and tweak it for our needs? we have 10 kids 6 wks to 4 yrs,... and they are here for 8-10 hours. So I think a whole week is asking too much. But,.. I am thinking tuesdays and thursdays of limiting the items allowed. everything here is put away daily so limiting it isnt a problem. but wow,.. I am so ready to jump on board.
        YAY! Please do it too! I will definitely let everyone know how it goes! And, yes, I agree with you that it would be much more difficult to pull off in most providers' situations.

I figured the timing would be good too to show the parents (and myself) that children can get along just fine without a ton of toys for Christmas.

Comment

ABSOLUTELY GENIUS!!! I may just try that too and see how things go...if others follow suit and we share what we observed, we may learn a thing or two....Wow! I am inspired because I feel the same way...too many toys that do way too much for them! I remember practically every gift I got for Christmas and birthdays growing up but I'll bet my last dollar not one daycare kid remembers what they got for Christmas last year.

I applaude your efforts to re-create imaginations in children. Bet for them it will be the BEST WEEK EVER!!!

Comment

Ask parents for donations of certain items: empty oatmeal containers, toilet paper/paper towel tubes, orange juice/milk containers (well-rinsed), paper grocery bags, even some plastic ones (parachutes! Stuffing for a stuffed animal!), socks (puppets!), empty metal coffee cans (stilts!). Feathers, pompom puffs, googly eyes for art supplies. Plenty of glue, paint, markers, beads, string, tape (scotch, masking, painters), cotton balls.

Plastic storage boxes, small cardboard boxes, blankets, pillows, shoeboxes, big cardboard boxes, blankets, pillows,
            Hee hee! Look, I have a signature!

Comment

yes, yes, yes. Loose parts are what these items are called and this is a fabulous idea!

Comment

Originally posted by SilverSabre25 View Post
                Ask parents for donations of certain items: empty oatmeal containers, toilet paper/paper towel tubes, orange juice/milk containers (well-rinsed), paper grocery bags, even some plastic ones (parachutes! Stuffing for a stuffed animal!), socks (puppets!), empty metal coffee cans (stilts!). Feathers, pompom puffs, googly eyes for art supplies. Plenty of glue, paint, markers, beads, string, tape (scotch, masking, painters), cotton balls.

Plastic storage boxes, small cardboard boxes, blankets, pillows, shoeboxes, big cardboard boxes, blankets, pillows,
                Thanks for the suggestions--the parents have been donating some of these things since day one (I have a basement full of this stuff now...). I didn't think of grocery bags or oatmeal containers---great ideas!

Also, part of the point of the week is to stay away from pre-made stuff like googly eyes and colorful pom poms, which I don't have at my preschool anyways. If children want eyes, they can make them... Writing that just got me thinking about buttons...I should ask for buttons too.

Oooo...keep the ideas coming! I can't wait!

Comment

disclaimer here,.. do NOT ask for toilet paper or towel rolls,... have you seen their cars??? can you imagine their toilets,.. ??? eww no.

Originally posted by SilverSabre25 View Post

Comment

Originally posted by laundrymom View Post
                    disclaimer here,.. do NOT ask for toilet paper or towel rolls,... have you seen their cars??? can you imagine their toilets,.. ??? eww no.
                    LOL

(I only wanted to say LOL in response to this, but the forum won't let me post unless I have a certain number of letters in my post...)

Comment

This is a FABULOUS idea! I am going to jump on board too. I think that I will probably wait until after Christmas to take a stab at this.

Comment

One of my DCD's works at Sear's and he said when people call they are more than happy to save the large appliance boxes for them. Otherwise they cut them up for recycling. So I would think if people call their local Sears stores or Home Depot type places they should be able to gather up some appliance boxes which kids love!

Comment

What a brilliant idea!! Less is more especially at this time of year.

We buy our kids each 3 presents from Santa to represent the 3 wisemen that came to see Jesus and people are shocked when I tell them they only get 3. But you know what...they actually cherish and play with those 3 toys. And before Christmas each of my girls chooses 3 of their current toys to donate to the less fortunate and they are great about it. I think most kids these days just get way too much at Christmas and lose the whole meaning.

I also don't have any toys with batteries and I try to get toys as simple as possible to encourage the kids' imaginations but this is a wonderful idea!

We have a lot of play silks here in different sizes that the kids find a million uses for so if you could find some of those it might add to their play.

I really think I might do this that last week leading up to Christmas. The only thing I might change is the books. I might hold onto those, although making them is a great idea too.

Comment

Originally posted by SunflowerMama View Post
                            What a brilliant idea!! Less is more especially at this time of year.

We buy our kids each 3 presents from Santa to represent the 3 wisemen that came to see Jesus and people are shocked when I tell them they only get 3. But you know what...they actually cherish and play with those 3 toys. And before Christmas each of my girls chooses 3 of their current toys to donate to the less fortunate and they are great about it. I think most kids these days just get way too much at Christmas and lose the whole meaning.

I also don't have any toys with batteries and I try to get toys as simple as possible to encourage the kids' imaginations but this is a wonderful idea!

We have a lot of play silks here in different sizes that the kids find a million uses for so if you could find some of those it might add to their play.

I really think I might do this that last week leading up to Christmas. The only thing I might change is the books. I might hold onto those, although making them is a great idea too.
                            I have a DCM who told me a few yrs ago that her kids only get 3 gifts also but each gift is specific such as one has to be a book or game, the second has to be clothing and the third is something the child wishes to have. (toy or whatever) Nice rule to follow.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post
                              I have a DCM who told me a few yrs ago that her kids only get 3 gifts also but each gift is specific such as one has to be a book or game, the second has to be clothing and the third is something the child wishes to have. (toy or whatever) Nice rule to follow.
                              That's a good idea too. I guess b/c ours are still young we just let them ask for 3 things and usually just get those 3 things (especially with craigslist these days). Like this year both want a bike and then a stuffed pink dog for the basket::, and then one is getting a baby doll with a diaper bag and cloth diapers and the other is getting a fold and go dollhouse with dolls and furniture.

Comment

Working...
                              X