The Truth About Diaper Rash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Truth About Diaper Rash

So I have this dcb 2.5 that rarely misses a day. Here when he's sick, when his parents are not working, the whole nine. Last week dad was on vaca and dcb was STILL here open to close everyday. Monday dad says he has one more day of vaca so he's keeping dcb home with him. I'm thinking yay, but still odd since dad already told me before that his vaca ended Friday. Then Tuesday dcb stays home because he has a bad diaper rash. Again, I'm thinking odd, dcb never misses a day now he missed 2 days in a row, knowing that I am opening late Thurs. and closing early Friday for my kids' school events, just highly unusual.

Dcb comes yesterday and today and yes, had a bad rash. Again I'm thinking odd, dcb rarely gets a diaper rash.

At pick up today, dcb runs to mom and I notice his shorts are soaked. I say oh no, dcb I forgot to change you after we just finished playing in the water (I just put his shorts on thinking his diaper was fine)

I'm thinking I'll do a quick diaper change since it's just water. Oh no, not water....diarrhea! Mom is standing right there. I start putting the pieces together real quick. Then I ask, so is this the cause of the bad rash? She stammers and starts talking about how the rash is weird because it's in the creases. I again ask "But is this the cause of the rash?? Has he had diarrhea?" She stammers and says well, over the weekend and a little yesterday...

I didn't know how to respond. I mean, yes keep him home if he has diarrhea, but why not tell me? Why lie and say dad has an extra day off? Why not just say he has diarrhea? Because of course I would have him stay home an extra 24 hours. Well it clearly isn't gone yet, so I guess I'll be having him stay home tomorrow. Right?

It was just one here, but it was a doozy! And poor dcb's rash!

Also, dcb last week on Thursday had a rash on his chest and back. Heat rash type of rash. I texted pics to both parents, dad called and made an appt for later that day. Nurse on the phone figured it is likely due to parents not washing dcbs new clothes before he wore them or the new sunblock they've been using. At pick up rash was less red but still there. Dad decides not to bring him to the dr. Friday the rash was the same but less red. There was never a fever. Not itchy, not bothering him at all. I didn't force the issue of going to the dr since it seems likely from the new clothes or sunblock.

Rash is still there but skin colored. But now with my knowledge of the diarrhea could it be related?

Comment

Ugh... That's SO RUDE!!

I wouldn't allow them back without a doctor's note now and would tell them they get 1 free pass, they can find someone else for care if they do that again. It's specifically in my contract to let me know if a child is sick before returning to my care.

Comment

Mine too! let me know your kid is sick! My policy says lying about your child's illnesses is grounds for termination. Not telling me is the same as lying.

I'm so mad right now I can barely type straight! I texted mom and told her due to the body rash and now the diarrhea I have to have him stay home tomorrow. Especially since it wasn't contained in the diaper and leaked all over the tableseat where he was sitting.

First she says ok. Then texts back "Oh and have fun camping" I am closing early tomorrow to go to my daughter's school event, then we are leaving for camping, so mom is insinuating that I am keeping dcb home so we can go camping (it seems to me). How is that? I have other dck's here?

Then texts back to ask if it was his only stool of the day. I said yes, here. But since he arrived at 1:00 I don't know what happened at home.

Doesn't matter how many! It leaked all over! I don't care if it's from illness, antibiotics, teething, whatever. The diarrhea is leaking, children are playing, it is unsanitary...keep him home!

I am upset first and foremost that they didn't tell me about it. I have other kids here and my whole family! And I'm upset at the Oh have fun camping remark ugh

Comment

Originally posted by CraftyMom View Post
          So I have this dcb 2.5 that rarely misses a day. Here when he's sick, when his parents are not working, the whole nine. Last week dad was on vaca and dcb was STILL here open to close everyday. Monday dad says he has one more day of vaca so he's keeping dcb home with him. I'm thinking yay, but still odd since dad already told me before that his vaca ended Friday. Then Tuesday dcb stays home because he has a bad diaper rash. Again, I'm thinking odd, dcb never misses a day now he missed 2 days in a row, knowing that I am opening late Thurs. and closing early Friday for my kids' school events, just highly unusual.

Dcb comes yesterday and today and yes, had a bad rash. Again I'm thinking odd, dcb rarely gets a diaper rash.

At pick up today, dcb runs to mom and I notice his shorts are soaked. I say oh no, dcb I forgot to change you after we just finished playing in the water (I just put his shorts on thinking his diaper was fine)

I'm thinking I'll do a quick diaper change since it's just water. Oh no, not water....diarrhea! Mom is standing right there. I start putting the pieces together real quick. Then I ask, so is this the cause of the bad rash? She stammers and starts talking about how the rash is weird because it's in the creases. I again ask "But is this the cause of the rash?? Has he had diarrhea?" She stammers and says well, over the weekend and a little yesterday...

I didn't know how to respond. I mean, yes keep him home if he has diarrhea, but why not tell me? Why lie and say dad has an extra day off? Why not just say he has diarrhea? Because of course I would have him stay home an extra 24 hours. Well it clearly isn't gone yet, so I guess I'll be having him stay home tomorrow. Right?

It was just one here, but it was a doozy! And poor dcb's rash!
          I can take a lot of "crap" from DCP's, but I can't take being lied to. I would have handed her the kid and went and got his belongings for her and termed. I hope to God that you let Mom change that diaper!

Comment

Mine too! let me know your kid is sick! My policy says lying about your child's illnesses is grounds for termination. Not telling me is the same as lying.

I'm so mad right now I can barely type straight! I texted mom and told her due to the body rash and now the diarrhea I have to have him stay home tomorrow. Especially since it wasn't contained in the diaper and leaked all over the tableseat where he was sitting.

First she says ok. Then texts back "Oh and have fun camping" I am closing early tomorrow to go to my daughter's school event, then we are leaving for camping, so mom is insinuating that I am keeping dcb home so we can go camping (it seems to me). How is that? I have other dck's here?

Then texts back to ask if it was his only stool of the day. I said yes, here. But since he arrived at 1:00 I don't know what happened at home.

Doesn't matter how many! It leaked all over! I don't care if it's from illness, antibiotics, teething, whatever. The diarrhea is leaking, children are playing, it is unsanitary...keep him home!

I am upset first and foremost that they didn't tell me about it. I have other kids here and my whole family! And I'm upset at the Oh have fun camping remark ugh
            I think she probably didn't mean it in passive aggressive fashion, though you actually know her. That said, you could always text back "If I don't get sick with diarrhea, I just might!"

Comment

Originally posted by Play Care View Post
              I think she probably didn't mean it in passive aggressive fashion, though you actually know her. That said, you could always text back "If I don't get sick with diarrhea, I just might!"

::::::::

you were mad so that might be why you thought she was being mean. she might have been been telling you to have fun

Comment

Lol!!! That is awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by DaisyMamma View Post

::::::::

you were mad so that might be why you thought she was being mean. she might have been been telling you to have fun
                  Yeah, it sounds like she feels guilty for the whole situation and figured she better toss a "Oh yeah..have fun!" in there to deflect from the real situation which was you being mad at her for not telling you about the diarrhea.

I don't think she was insinuating anything.

Are you planning on discussing the whole issue with her at all?

Comment

I also didn't think she was insinuating anything, just trying to be nice since she probably knew she screwed up.

But I don't know her, of course!

Ugh... Diarrhea is the worst.

Comment

Now that I'm not as mad I don't think she meant anything by the camping comment.

I told my husband I really want to term over this. It's the lying that is upsetting. But dcb is wonderful and this has always been a great family. Even still, I do not stand for parents lying to me. I'm not sure what to do honestly. I don't want to lose dcb. I don't know what to say. I want to address the lying issue and at the very least why didn't they tell me? What if it was something serious, given the body rash a couple of days before? I need advice on what to do next!

Comment

Now that I'm not as mad I don't think she meant anything by the camping comment.

I told my husband I really want to term over this. It's the lying that is upsetting. But dcb is wonderful and this has always been a great family. Even still, I do not stand for parents lying to me. I'm not sure what to do honestly. I don't want to lose dcb. I don't know what to say. I want to address the lying issue and at the very least why didn't they tell me? What if it was something serious, given the body rash a couple of days before? I need advice on what to do next!
                        If they've previously been a great family and this was a one time deal, I would be inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt. That said, it sounds as if they constantly try to get around your sick policy (from your OP) it's probably time to get a replacement and give notice.

Comment

Like I said before, I would probably tell them this is a free pass only because you like DCB so much and they haven't been problematic in the past but this is their only free pass. If they lie or don't disclose an illness at home or why he's staying home in the future it will be grounds for immediate termination and forfeiture of any deposit or remaining prepaid balance. I would also add that to your contract if you haven't already. I lost $160 last month terming someone for this kinda stuff and made sure to update my contract IMMEDIATLY! I haven't had any questions about any of it, it was really just a clarification of my existing policies and I added the part of about the forfeiture of their deposit and any prepaid tuition for termination due to contractual issues.

I'm just sick of the disrespect I read about on here and have only experienced once or twice really. One family I have just kills me and I'm trying to fill their spot but it's a kinda kushy schedule and they've chilled out a bit recently. But if someone else came along I would term in a heartbeat.

Comment

Working...
                          X